Experienced player, 1st TUBE amp. VM 2466. HELP!

Vintage Modern Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jamesATX
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Experienced player, 1st TUBE amp. VM 2466. HELP!

Postby jamesATX » 27 Nov 2012, 08:21

Hey all, been playing guitar for about 10 years, I'm 25 and the 2466 will be my 1st tube amp. Stoked! BUT just want to make sure I set it up right and don't screw it up. I am buying new from Guitar Center. Here are the questions I have:
-Do they bias these before they send them out?
-Is there anything I should do or check right off the bat to make sure the amp is set up properly? Check tubes or anything?
-Can someone please explain/dumb down how the different ohm settings and mono vs. stereo affects anything? I can play like a mother******* but am not technically savvy, at all. If you don't want to take time to explain here, is there somewhere else I can look for basic info? Like how do I choose mono vs. stereo? Which ohm setting should I set my amp/cabinet to and why?
-I should always turn the amp on AND off in stand-by mode correct? How long should I let it warm up for before playing and how long to cool down before I shut off?

I know these probably sound like dumb questions...Just don't have much experience with tube amps and would rather ask here than be "that guy" at guitar center.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J
:metal

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Experienced player, 1st TUBE amp. VM 2466. HELP!

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Nov 2012, 08:46

Welcome to the Roadhouse.

Congrats on your selection of the 2466, its an awwsome amp. Be sure to read the FAQ section here in the VM topic area.

The amp comes biased with new tubes from the factory, nothing for you to do with that. But understand that amp tubes can fail or go microphonic anytime. They also can last for years.

Assuming you got the matching cabinet. If so you need to set the cabinet to MONO and 16ohms. Never turn on your amp without the cabinet connected. Also never use a instrument cable for the cabinet, you have to use a speaker cable. Make sure the VM is set to 16ohms on the back, again assuming you got the 425 cabinet.

Next turn it on and let it warm up for a couple of minutes. Set bass, mids, treble, body, detail all to 50%. Set the master volume to 8. Now with you guitars volume rolled all the way back take the amp off standby.

Place the amp in high dynamic range manually or using the foot switch. Slowly start rolling up your guitars volume sampling the different tones as you make your way to 10.

Dial in the amount of presence you like and reverb. Next tweak the body and detail and find a setting you like. Also drop back down into low dynamic range and sample that.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

ghunter
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby ghunter » 27 Nov 2012, 15:17

If you are buying the amp new from a dealer, they should be answering all these questions for you, and even doing final quality control for you before it leaves their store. That's part of what you're paying for!

Don't worry so much about being "that guy", if the salesperson you're working with is a jerk about this then find someone else or talk to a manager. It's your right as a customer.

SIR36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby SIR36 » 30 Nov 2012, 17:45

Cheers!!!....First off I would like to introduce myself to the site, since this is my first post, and I too purchased my first tube amp (I have been playing for 18 years) which is a Vintage Modern 2466 with matching 425A cab. I am waiting patiently for it to come it. I do own a small Marshall AVT Combo amp, it's been good, but time for an upgrade....I love the sound of the Vintage Modern.
Amps:
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall AVT50 Combo Amp

Guitars:
1956 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Goldtop w P-90's
2010 Epiphone Les Paul Ebony w (Slash Signature) Seymour Duncan Alnico 2's
2006 Epiphone G1275 Doubleneck w Gibson PAF's
2004 Fender Stratocaster Dark Sunburst w Texas Special's
Simon & Patrick Cutaway Acoustic
Oscar Schmit (Washburn) 3/4 Scale Acoustic.

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 95 Wah
Heil Talkbox

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Nov 2012, 20:09

SIR36 wrote:Cheers!!!....First off I would like to introduce myself to the site, since this is my first post, and I too purchased my first tube amp (I have been playing for 18 years) which is a Vintage Modern 2466 with matching 425A cab. I am waiting patiently for it to come it. I do own a small Marshall AVT Combo amp, it's been good, but time for an upgrade....I love the sound of the Vintage Modern.
Welcome to the Roadhouse. Going from an AVT to a 2466 is going to make playing a lot of fun. You will love that combination, lots of guys here to help you.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

SIR36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby SIR36 » 01 Dec 2012, 05:07

Thanks a lot, .....I am very happy with my choice. I am a huge fan of the Classic/ Hard Rock and early Metal genres (Zeppelin, Gn'R (Big Slash Fan), Aerosmith). I am so stoked to play it. Will keep everyone posted.

Rock on Everyone :metal :headbanger :cowbell
Amps:
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall AVT50 Combo Amp

Guitars:
1956 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Goldtop w P-90's
2010 Epiphone Les Paul Ebony w (Slash Signature) Seymour Duncan Alnico 2's
2006 Epiphone G1275 Doubleneck w Gibson PAF's
2004 Fender Stratocaster Dark Sunburst w Texas Special's
Simon & Patrick Cutaway Acoustic
Oscar Schmit (Washburn) 3/4 Scale Acoustic.

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 95 Wah
Heil Talkbox

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”