Vintage Modern Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Gixxalee
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 9 times

100hz hum

Postby Gixxalee » 03 Apr 2017, 03:13

Hi everyone. I recently bought myself another 2266c after swapping my original one for a dsl 50. Any way this one is obviously a used one, and it's an 07 model. It has an annoying 100hz hum that is very prominent on the high dynamic range and Is affected by the body control bass control and master volume control,all of which when turned up make the hum louder. I put new TAD output tubes in as soon as I got it and I've swapped a few pre amp tubes around with some spares I had but no real change. Any thoughts especially from Steve D would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 499 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: 100hz hum

Postby SteveD » 03 Apr 2017, 11:36

One likely cause could be wire dress. Some of those wire looms inside can cause hum issues if not optimally dressed.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Gixxalee
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Gixxalee » 04 Apr 2017, 01:27

Hi thanks Steve, is that something that will need attention or just a case of putting up with it? In LDR it's not such an issue, and at the moment I'm using it in ldr with pedals. Interestingly I've found using it this way with the amp just breaking up then using an overdrive for more gain I can get clean(ish) rhythm and lead boost. My chain is MXR wylde drive, mooer hustle drive (OCD type drive) so I use both together for higher gain Then an MXR micro amp as a lead boost and it works really well. There are optimum settings for best results of course but it works for me. If I could change anything I'd probably use a compressor for my lead boost part and use the micro amp earlier in the chain as it give a nice sounding drive too.

Anyway back to the point I was wanting to get an idea of whether or not there is potential for any issues with filter caps and of course the risk of imminent failure ?? I suppose the logical and relatively inexpensive option would be to renew the preamp tubes just to eliminate them from the list of suspects.

I did also emaIl the Marshall support and they said they will check and quote any repairs for free. In which case I might as well get it Over there.

Thanks again Steve .

Gixxalee
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Gixxalee » 04 Apr 2017, 08:27

I was having a little jam this afternoon and decided to play through HDR and notice I couldn't hear the hum. Anyway when I first noticed it yesterday I was rechecking the bias so no instrument plugged in. And sure enough when I unplugged my guitars there was the hum again. And acting as described when adjusting the body bass or mv. Any thoughts on this development. On the plus side it's quieter when a guitar is plugged in. HDR is still pretty hissy mind

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1827 times
Been liked: 1659 times

Postby Anitoli » 04 Apr 2017, 15:53

Poor grounding on input jack would be my first assumption with no guitar plugged in.

Gixxalee
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Gixxalee » 05 Apr 2017, 05:08

Ah good call, well I've got it booked in at Marshall on the 19th so we'll see what they make of it when they check it over

Cheers
Lee.

Gixxalee
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Gixxalee » 19 Apr 2017, 08:36

As a follow up if anyone's interested, I've been into the Marshall service department today, and it was indeed a defective input jack. All replaced and checked over for 20 quid! Happy indeed. Also in the mean time I've put in new preamp tubes I went with TAD 7025 r080 in V 1,2 and 3, and a sovtek 12ax7LSP. Sounds good so far. I've also had a rejig with my pedal board. Now I'm running an MXR micro amp first in the chain (of overdrives) set so it's just pushing the input so a nice gritty clean sound I'll probably run this on all the time. Then a Moore hustle drive again set quit mild on its ld setting, then a TC electronics Dark matter, again not masses of gain dialed in, and finally a tone city comp engine compressor. Now I'm using this as a boost and it works pretty well also thickening the tone in the process. I have it set with a lot of level low attack and the comp dialled to about 3/4. At the moment. Obviously I can also use this for other more traditional uses. Overall really pleased with it. I may do a demo vid when I get chance in the near future.

colchar
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 20 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby colchar » 12 Sep 2017, 09:47

Thanks for this thread.

I was having the same issue. My 2266C is in for service right now (under warranty) and, if it isn't resolved, I can send it back and tell them to check this.
:Canada

:Scotland

----------
"All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks"

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”