Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

New to the forum

Postby Ghostrider » 13 Aug 2009, 14:15

Hey guys, just wanted to say hi and glad I found this site through a google search. About a month ago I was in the studio and had amp problems with my old 2205, went looking for a new amp that same day and of all the amps I tried I liked the vintage modern the best. Guys at the store were not to keen on it but what do they know.

Came home with a 2466 and since have bought a second for backup. I am a simple player who is very old school and use only a Tele and a Les Paul. Like many things about the amp and generally have found my sound in high range using the guitar to tame things during a song. I don't like the significant volume drop between the two ranges and still working with that. I also don't like the sound of the loop but the few pedals I use all work up front pretty good.

I like the sound of the matching cab but I don't think it is loud enough so I added a vintage 30 cab to form a stack, I have enough now. The only other thing I am working on is the changing of the settings I need to do when switching guitars which I do often, I have to raise the body setting with the Tele so that is a bit of a pain but no big deal.

Probably will have more questions later but will use the search function first.

Ghostrider
Twin 2466 amps

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Re: New to the forum

Postby gtrman » 13 Aug 2009, 14:40

Welcome to the forum !
2 VM's sounds like a good beginning !

There's a few posts dealing with the volume drop here ... just do some searching and you will find them.
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 13 Aug 2009, 15:50

Welcome! :howdy

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 13 Aug 2009, 19:01

:welcome :Ireland
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 14 Aug 2009, 01:00

Ghostrider wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to say hi and glad I found this site through a google search. About a month ago I was in the studio and had amp problems with my old 2205, went looking for a new amp that same day and of all the amps I tried I liked the vintage modern the best. Guys at the store were not to keen on it but what do they know.

Came home with a 2466 and since have bought a second for backup. I am a simple player who is very old school and use only a Tele and a Les Paul. Like many things about the amp and generally have found my sound in high range using the guitar to tame things during a song. I don't like the significant volume drop between the two ranges and still working with that. I also don't like the sound of the loop but the few pedals I use all work up front pretty good.

I like the sound of the matching cab but I don't think it is loud enough so I added a vintage 30 cab to form a stack, I have enough now. The only other thing I am working on is the changing of the settings I need to do when switching guitars which I do often, I have to raise the body setting with the Tele so that is a bit of a pain but no big deal.

Probably will have more questions later but will use the search function first.

Ghostrider
Welcome to the forum Ghostrider. :Thumbs

The volume difference is a lot if you think of it as a two channel amp - Clean and OD, but it is not.

High Dynamic Range is probably where you could stay (depending on how much volume and gain you use) and access all degrees of clean to dirty with the guitar's volume, perhaps adding an OD pedal if you want yet more gain.

The Low Dynamic Range simply transfers a small window of what you had in the lower regions of your guitar volume in High Dynamic Range, to the full span of the guitar volume pot, thereby enabling easier access to clean tones especially with hot pickups.

To get the most out of the Vintage Modern, think 'Dynamic' 'Old School' 'Organic' 'Touch response' etc. etc.

That said, there are several people on this forum who have made this amp work for them in many different ways.

Listen, Learn, Read on. :winking
Still my guitar gently weeps

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 14 Aug 2009, 10:06

Welcome Ghostrider, congrats on the two heads... can't wait to see your avatar, something with flames perhaps? :bgrin Loved the movie and of course Mr. Cage.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”