Moderator: longfxukxnhair

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

humbucker

Postby HappyBlues » 24 Sep 2008, 04:51

Well in fact I am considering a single seized humbucker pickup. DiMarzio to be more specific. Best guitar builder in our counrty (Steve Clark is his endorsee) recommends me DiMarzios. I would love one, but I can't see which would be best. I would like it to sound like classic humbucker. My first-sight guesses are ToneZone S and ProTrack (I liked the sound clips), maybe preffering a ProTrack a bit. So? :) This is getting interesting... instead of replacing DS-1 I'll replace a pickup... Funny, but quite good turnout as I like DS-1 character quite a lot...

edit: I want it for rock (stuff like intro guitar sound in "My Hero" (Foo Fighters) or Bullet The Blue Sky sound of U2
Midrangey, with no curles and a bit raging rocky...

thanks folks...
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

Lungo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Lungo » 24 Sep 2008, 08:49

Tone Zone is a good choice, very well balanced with high output. PAF Pro would be another good option.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

sorry, :)

Postby HappyBlues » 24 Sep 2008, 11:21

Sorry but I need Single coil sized humbucker... So Tonezone S and Pro Track came to my mind. Any comments? Anyone has those?
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

Lungo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Lungo » 24 Sep 2008, 13:55

Oh I see. I was thinking maybe you would be willing to get another pick guard with H-S-S configuration.

Another one to consider from Dimarzio is the HS-3 that Yngwie uses.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

pickups

Postby HappyBlues » 25 Sep 2008, 02:28

well, after all, I'll either buy a Tonezone S or go through all the trouble and have PAF Classic Bridge and push/pull volume pot so I can split coils... Installing humbucker requires doing modification to guitar body, pickguard and of course installing pickup. At least these things are not too pricey here. I will pay about 100$ (66EUR) for work. That's not too bad. Considering this is pro, recognized widely. Slovak hands are never too pricey. another 130$ (70EUR) for pickup and I'm ready to rock.

I am also considering buying som vintage sounding humbucker for neck and doing parallel wiring for grestch-ey sound on neck...

Thanks for all suggestions so far folks... I hope I will get good rock tone from my VM now... Maybe I'll even switch to amp's od, who knows...

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 25 Sep 2008, 16:31

I'm am currently fighting the idea of putting 2 DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs in my Strat with some creative wiring for splitting & combinations. I feel your pain. :lol:

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby StephenRutledge » 27 Sep 2008, 01:35

MI Audio 'Crunch Box' is an awesome distortion pedal: http://www.mieffects.com/cbinbrief.htm
So is their Tube Zone apparently: http://www.mieffects.com/TZinbrief.htm

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

it may look like I'm dumb but...

Postby HappyBlues » 29 Sep 2008, 06:20

Well, I have found the solution to the problem with bad distortion sound with scratchy highs. You have to crank it up! Really. I was using VM at home with master at 9 o'clock. When I turned it up to 11 o'clock all the fiziness was gone... All that left was great tube sound. Sorry folks for all the time it took me to find out. It's that simple. VM really doesn't sound good at bedroom levels (well at 9 o'clock it is such a bedroom level that my ears ring...)

I'm in a bit of a trouble now... What amp to buy to be able to practice at home? AVT20? Or what??? :) It looks like I will be able to use anywahere else than a gig. I doubt if I will be able to use it at least at rehearsals...

barkfield
<25
<25

Postby barkfield » 29 Sep 2008, 07:31

What you need is a THD Hotplate - expensive but well worth it to be able to crank your favorite amp without deafening the neighbours!!! (it's also smaller than another amp and you'll be able to use your lovely 2266C anywhere you like :D )
Confuscious say "Guitarist who buys all the signature gear of their favourite artist will still sound like themselves"

corellaco
<25
<25

Postby corellaco » 30 Sep 2008, 03:23

StephenRutledge wrote:MI Audio 'Crunch Box' is an awesome distortion pedal: http://www.mieffects.com/cbinbrief.htm
So is their Tube Zone apparently: http://www.mieffects.com/TZinbrief.htm
Using the Tube Zone at the moment until my Rocket Fuel arrives. The Tube Zone is great and I highly recommend it. I'm pretty psyched to get my hands on the Rocket Fuel though... check them out!

http://www.majikboxusa.com/RocketFuel.htm

C0ldFart
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby C0ldFart » 01 Oct 2008, 09:37

barkfield wrote:What you need is a THD Hotplate - expensive but well worth it to be able to crank your favorite amp without deafening the neighbours!!! (it's also smaller than another amp and you'll be able to use your lovely 2266C anywhere you like :D )
I'm using a THD Hotplate with my 2466 running into the MG412A and B cabs. These cabs are a bit "clean" sounding for this amp but I love it.
Master vol at 3 o clock and hotplate to adjust volume, typical -8dB

For solo I use volume pedal (in the effects loop), guitarvol and sometimes the "Maxon Vintage Series OD820 Overdrive Pro" with just a hint of drive and lots of vol boost.

C0ld

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 01 Oct 2008, 21:34

corellaco wrote: I'm pretty psyched to get my hands on the Rocket Fuel though... check them out!

I'm sold, but damn it's spendy. Doug Aldrich tone box. I may have to check that one out a bit further. :D
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 02 Oct 2008, 13:40

corellaco wrote:Using the Tube Zone at the moment until my Rocket Fuel arrives. The Tube Zone is great and I highly recommend it. I'm pretty psyched to get my hands on the Rocket Fuel though... check them out!

Doug is such an amazing guitar player, has such a wonderful tone that I believe he'd sound awesome through anything. The RocketFuel audio samples were great though, and I really want to try one myself. I wonder if Doug uses a VM in those clips. It sounded really close to the Doug VM demo mp3 on Marshall's site.

mety
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby mety » 02 Oct 2008, 14:32

He didn't use a VM in those clips as his amps are/were in storage.
It was a 71 modded Marshall set to crunch - but loud.

He said about using it with th VM:
"Hey man,
This pedal is more for boosting the front of the amp. It works great with the VM though. The pedal has the Bass shift which can give more bottom to the VM."

About settings he said:
"I have been using it on tour to see how it was.... It really worked out great. Since I got home, I have been experimenting with some various settings.

There is a really cool one that I didnt use before. Its putting the Boost on about 2oclock. The Level on 10oc..tone knob OFF and the Gain on full.

Then keeping my guitar volumes on half with the neck PU a bit higher.... With this setting, you can go from really clean( Cause GTR Vols are down)
Then kick in either the Boost for a regular big tone, or the OD side for higher gain snarl. Or Both for something over the top.
Plus you got all that headroom on your guitar.
The pedal doesnt loose any bottom and has a real dramatic lead sound with this setting.
On tour I had it in my rack and it was just set as a Boost OD.... but this new setting is cool."

I don't know if anyone saw Doug on the latest Whitesnake tour, but he was the star of the whole evening for me...
IMHO of course!:wink:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Gibson Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary Custom, Les Paul Custom, Les Paul Standard, SG Special Faded.
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard Plus,
Custom-Made CH Iommi SG Standard.
Boss GT-10.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 (2007), ]JMP50 (1974), 2203 MkII Master Volume. (1979) Orange TH30 (2011)
Marshall Vintage Modern 425A, 425B (2007).
Marshall 1960A (1978) 1960B (1980). (G12T-75's)
http://www.sabbatica.co.uk

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 02 Oct 2008, 15:37

Great info mety! Now I REALLY want one :P

I saw Whitesnake June 6th this year, and yes... Doug was the star, but Coverdale wasn't too bad either 8)

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”