Vintage Modern Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

dtb
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby dtb » 26 Sep 2008, 01:30

SteveD wrote:Welcome to the forum GAZ. :)

:shock:

I can tell you that the amp most definately would not have come directly from us with scuff marks, no documentation or accessories. . :)
You know thats not true Steve.

Grace would have brought you up to speed regarding my case and Marshall admitted they had sent these out to me.

I think you may also be aware of the same thing that happened to another person with a JVM, they also recieved a letter saying it was a mix up with a trade show unit. So it does and has happened, direct from Marshall.

You would have seen sight of the two you sent out to me, they were trashed. One speaker was loose inside, the tolex had rips all over it . The amp looked like it had gone 20 rounds with a bull mastiff. We took no chances and video taped the whole thing.

jls0762
<25
<25

Postby jls0762 » 26 Sep 2008, 01:50

I'm going through a similar experience right now. I bought a 2266 head off e-bay that was advertised as new with authorized dealer warranty. It seemed like too good a deal to be true, and it was. I received it a few days later in the original Marshall box. It had a few light scratches I could live with, and the owners manual and power cord and speaker cable. It was missing the foot switch and warranty information. I called the store immediately and after some run-around was told that they are an authorized Marshall dealer and you don't get a foot switch with the amp, you have to order it separately. I read this forum often and knew better, and told them that I was going to return the amp, which they said was alright, but they received it a week ago and I still haven't had the money credited to my Paypal account yet. I'm pretty sure they sent me a demo model and advertised it as new. Kinda bummed me out because I never even plugged it in, I returned it that day and who knows if I will see my money or not. I guess thats the chance you take on e-bay.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 26 Sep 2008, 04:39

dtb wrote:

I can tell you that the amp most definately would not have come directly from us with scuff marks, no documentation or accessories. . :)

Grace would have brought you up to speed regarding my case and Marshall admitted they had sent these out to me.

I think you may also be aware of the same thing that happened to another person with a JVM, they also recieved a letter saying it was a mix up with a trade show unit. So it does and has happened, direct from Marshall.

You would have seen sight of the two you sent out to me, they were trashed. One speaker was loose inside, the tolex had rips all over it . The amp looked like it had gone 20 rounds with a bull mastiff. We took no chances and video taped the whole thing.
Why would I 'know' that's not true? As far as I was aware, the company I work for takes great pride in ensuring customer satisfaction with the product. Why wouldn't it? What is to be gained by deliberately sending stuff out in the condition that yours arrived in?

It's not Grace's job to bring me up to speed with anything regarding sales because she works in marketing and I work in R&D. I am not aware of any of the other issues like this either, I am not quality control.

Trade show models are a separate stock altogether so I really am surprised at this.

Output transformers dying on Vintage Moderns are practically unheard of.

I have seen the process from beginning to end of the Marshall production line and it is very thourough because if we don't get it right the first time it would cost more money to take a second time.

We will always look after the customer and there are several people who will bear witness to this.

rccCrawler
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rccCrawler » 26 Sep 2008, 05:25

My take on this is really simple:

Did they make it right?

EVERY production process has failures. An anecdotal look at those will always paint a very incorrect picture. I deal with this all the time. To get a true picture, you have to look at everything, and realize that a certain percentage of failure is inevitable. The real question is what do they do about it? It sucks that someone gets hit with that failure, but if the manufacturer makes it right and the overall failure rate is reasonably low...... there's not much more that can be done.

From all the evidence I've seen on this forum, we have seen anecdotal evidence of failures.

No real surprise.

With the people who report back, it appears in those cases Marshall tries to make it right. I'm not sure what more anyone can expect.

dtb
<25
<25

Postby dtb » 26 Sep 2008, 05:29

SteveD wrote:
dtb wrote:

Why would I 'know' that's not true? As far as I was aware, the company I work for takes great pride in ensuring customer satisfaction with the product. Why wouldn't it? What is to be gained by deliberately sending stuff out in the condition that yours arrived in?

It's not Grace's job to bring me up to speed with anything regarding sales because she works in marketing and I work in R&D. I am not aware of any of the other issues like this either, I am not quality control.

Trade show models are a separate stock altogether so I really am surprised at this.

beginning to end of the Marshall production line and it is very thourough because if we don't get it right the first time it would cost more money to take a second time.

We will always look after the customer and there are several people who will bear witness to this.
As a customer, your name was mentioned in the letter Marshall sent me regarding this whole episode. I contacted you direct regarding this issue to see if there was the possibility of dealing with it in-house and away from the dealer. I stated in my ramblings to you, that I would not bring this issue up on the forum as I'm well away that molehills turn into mountains, but we now have another three case's where this has happened ( not including any in this post, which I suspect are dealers palming off demo stock ).

I have no intrest in output trannies. It may have been a one off, but its irrelvent to this issue.

My concens are based around answers. Why did two boxed amps in the same batch on the same manifest to the same dealer contain well used knackered 2266c's ? . I was told off record that these amps had come back from the London Music Show by both the dealer and Marshall. So who in Marshall is packing old 2007 made 2266C's into a box without footswitch, mains leads, paperwork, then placing heat shrink around the outside of the box and then shipping them out to dealers as new stock ?

These are the answers that would allow me to visit Marshall and collect a new boxed amp.

Call it paranoia, but I have spent ( Grace is well aware of this ) four months trying to buy one of these amps, but NOT one dealer I contacted would order one direct from Marshall, they all wanted to sell me their demo stock. I found one dealer prepared to order the amp. I dont touch demo gear because I dont know its history, and when I'm spending over £700 I want new as in shiney pin new, virgin....dressed in white new.

So you can imaging my face when my new special order from Marshall arrived, it had been around the block more times then a hooker doing happy hour. To add insult to injury , the next bloody amp was even worse.

You dont have to sell me a Marshall or its customer service. I love Marshalls and I find Marshalls ethos and customer handling first class.

I just want Marshall to find the muppet at MK who is packing these amps and sack the idiot.

Until then I am stuck with a bloody Mesa, how do you think that makes me feel :cry:

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 26 Sep 2008, 05:34

With all this talk about getting VM's new in box without accessories, I'd like to relate my experience with my 2466. I bought it from Musicians Friend as a factory refurb, it arrived in a Marshall box with Korg packing tape on it (that said Inspected by Korg US), this indicated it wasn't opened after leaving Korg. It had all the accessories with it, along with a QC sheet from Korg US with maybe 30 check points, including accessories included in the box, signed off by a QC tech. The amp had a few very minor scuffs, but you had to look hard to see them. The amp worked flawlessly out of the box. If I had to make any complaint, Korg should have put the amp in a plastic bag before packing it to inhibit moisture. Hats off to Korg US for putting procedures in place to ensure a quality product. I'd be very surprised if Marshall doesn't have the same procedures in place.

My company manufactures products for government and military customers, and in my experience it is quite possible for someone to have a rare bad day and miss a process or leave an item or two out of a box. But the company procedures should reflect that every effort is made to minimize the possibility of this happening, and when it does the company should bend over backwards to make the customer happy. I'd like to think Jim Marshall would rip someone's head off if the company would allow a customer to remain dissatisfied. Any decent company would. Customer service is the easiest thing for a company to get right, it's way easier than building a quality product.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 26 Sep 2008, 16:34

dtb, You know, I would also love to know what happened here but I'm pretty sure we'll never get to the bottom of it, Marshall isn't the only company who can seal a cardboard box!

All I can personally say is that I would be more than willing to stand with you while you demo another amp from stock and make sure you're happy with it.

dtb
<25
<25

Postby dtb » 27 Sep 2008, 01:28

SteveD wrote: All I can personally say is that I would be more than willing to stand with you while you demo another amp from stock and make sure you're happy with it.

I'm on the edge of having another attempt. The existing 2266c I had was repaired but went out on loan to a friends band and they seem to have run of with it :?

Oh! and now for something completely different.

The blue/purple power lamp on the 2266c. If you film it with a camcorder and then play the tape back, the light turns on and off in three second cycles . weird or what :shock:

It's an hobbie of mine to film power lamps 8)

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 27 Sep 2008, 12:39

dtb wrote:I'm on the edge of having another attempt. The existing 2266c I had was repaired but went out on loan to a friends band and they seem to have run of with it :?
Well you can't blame them for that. :)

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 27 Sep 2008, 12:51

dtb wrote:The blue/purple power lamp on the 2266c. If you film it with a camcorder and then play the tape back, the light turns on and off in three second cycles . weird or what :shock:

It's an hobbie of mine to film power lamps 8)
The indicator is an l.e.d. which only conducts current in one direction. Because the mains frequency is too fast for the human eye to detect it looks like the indicator is on constantly, but if you film it and play it back it is more than likely that some of the frames will catch it in it's off state. :wink:

barkfield
<25
<25

Postby barkfield » 29 Sep 2008, 06:33

Hmmm interesting thread. I've had my 2266C for about 6 weeks and when it arrived it had some scuffing on the tolex when I took it out of the box. Not being too bothered about that I plugged it in and ............... silence. Took the back grill off to have a quick check and the main speaker wires from the amp to the right hand speaker were hanging off. Put them back onto the spade connectors properly and we were in business. I've practiced and gigged it since and it's been fine - it just seems a bit wierd that it would pass a factory test with the speakers disconnected!!!

Anyway Steve D, how long would you have to run the amp without speakers connected to do any damage? I hope the answer ties in with my decision not to send the amp back when I received it!!!

Quality tone by the way.

Steve (I)
Confuscious say "Guitarist who buys all the signature gear of their favourite artist will still sound like themselves"

dtb
<25
<25

Postby dtb » 29 Sep 2008, 09:28

I would suggest that 99% of these issues in the UK are down to dealers selling off demo stock.

Ok, I had a direct issue with Marshall, but the Trade show explanation does add up and mistakes happen. Would you trust any company with a 100% perfect record ?

But prior to my amps turning up, I spent months trying to get a dealer to sell me a factory fresh boxed amp, there are posts by me on this very forum where I have moaned about this issue.

The dealers can only carry so much stock, think about the range of amps Marshall sells, then add Laney, Fender etc to that list. There would not be a stock room this side of Thomanns in Germany that could carry all those items, plus demo units.

When the dealers demo units start to get tired, the dealer pass's them off as new and then use the replacement item as the new demo unit. Then the circle starts again. If you went into the dealer, you could haggle a few £'s of if you noticed marks and scuffs, but how much use as the demo unit had ?

Now the UK economy has gone tits up, dealers wont want to carry stock unless they have to, so it's just going to get worse. It would be nice if Marshall had an outlet shop attached to the factory ;)

My mission will come to an end, when the band I lent my 2266c to returns it , until then I wont risk buying another new premium amp ( be it Marshall, Mesa, Fender, Orange, Hi-Watt ) from any dealer in case I go through this process again.

I thought I had sussed it when I found a dealer who would order direct, but thats when it went all Pete Tong :(

GAZ
<25
<25

Extremely Happy Owner OF vm2266c

Postby GAZ » 29 Sep 2008, 12:15

Hi guys, well today i have finally received another amp from marshall. I must say i am extremely pleased with this one, all leads and documentation are there and its in perfect working order. This amp sparkles!! you can tell its brand spanking new. Not a mark on it. Absolutely spotless. The way a new amp should look. So Fair play to the dealer and to marshall, they delivered in the end. comparing this amp to the one i received the beginning of september its quite obvious i was sent ex demo stock and in all fairness this is not good, when you pay your hard earned cash out you expect new, Thats what your paying for. If i had wanted to get a used/ ex demo model i would have done, and a fair bit cheaper too. One other thing that annoys me and its not just with amps its with electrical goods in general when you buy new and you get it home to find out its faulty why is it sent for repair?? You have paid for new so it should be replaced straight away. Not sent away for repair at your inconvenience. Anyway enough of my whinging i got my amp and thats all that matters now. Im chuffed to bits with it, sounds absolutely brill. p.s. anyone got any settings for a malmsteen type sound?? cheers!!!!

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 29 Sep 2008, 13:18

jls0762 wrote:I'm going through a similar experience right now. I bought a 2266 head off e-bay that was advertised as new with authorized dealer warranty. It seemed like too good a deal to be true, and it was. I received it a few days later in the original Marshall box. It had a few light scratches I could live with, and the owners manual and power cord and speaker cable. It was missing the foot switch and warranty information. I called the store immediately and after some run-around was told that they are an authorized Marshall dealer and you don't get a foot switch with the amp, you have to order it separately. I read this forum often and knew better, and told them that I was going to return the amp, which they said was alright, but they received it a week ago and I still haven't had the money credited to my Paypal account yet. I'm pretty sure they sent me a demo model and advertised it as new. Kinda bummed me out because I never even plugged it in, I returned it that day and who knows if I will see my money or not. I guess thats the chance you take on e-bay.
Hey man before its too late you should file a claim through Paypal. It is very easy to do, just log on and go to help and you should be able to find out how to do it step by step. I think its about 3 steps. You type your story/explanation and ask for your full refund. If the seller doesnt respond within a few days escalate the claim so Paypal has to investigate. I forgot to escalate one time and after 30 days the case gets shut down and can no longer be escalated. I shipped something back the was about 50 bucks so I didnt get burned to bad. Also I hope you got delivery confirmation because that is great proof that you shipped it back to the seller. I hope things work out for you.

To the people that have problems with their VMs. I dont know why you take the risk and buy online. I am anal too so I go to a guitar store, negotiate the price lower and then i make sure I get the amp to my liking. Its much easier to go back to a store and rip someone a new asshole than argue over the phone with an online company.
ELECTRIC GUITARS
American Strat APS-2 \ Gibson Les Paul #34 '57s \ Gibson Les Paul Classic Burstbucker Pros \
AMPS
Marshall VM 2466 425A Cab \ 65 Fender Bassman 50 Watt \ 93 Fender Vibroverb
EFFECTS
Dunlop JH-F1 > Barber Direct Drive LG > Zendrive > Lovepedal Vibe > Fulltone Wah > Korg Pitch Black Tuner > Radial Bigshot A/B/Y Switch
ATTENUATORS
Marshall Powerbrake \ Dr Z Airbrake - - - Powebrake definitely takes the cake - - -

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 29 Sep 2008, 19:47

Having worked in distribution many moons ago for an electrical appliance company - I can tell you all manner of things can happen in transit from factory to customer's door. Manufacturers don't always have control over what a truck driver, wharf worker, courier or shop assistant will do when handling a product. Shit happens now and then.

I can imagine it would be very frustrating getting shonky gear when hard earned cash has been handed over... personally I'd never buy something like a valve amp online or from catalogue order. I'd want to test it in the flesh at a music store... peace of mind.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”