Moderator: longfxukxnhair

dook
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Ready to try and buy a 2266C

Postby dook » 07 Oct 2008, 05:20

I've been reading about this amp for a while and it has really captivated me. I've not had the chance to play with one yet but I hope to do that in the coming weeks and if that goes well I will be buying one.

I want to confirm a few things though - asked as a bit of a noob. Please correct my assumptions as stated below.

The amp is designed to be driven by the guitarist using the guitar's volume (and tone) pots. Around 3 for clean, 6-7 for rythm and dimed for soloing.

Many reviews (and even some store personnel) don't seem to understand the amp. Complaints about the mid boost not being footswitchable and the high dynamic being too big an increase in volume, are missing the point (at least that's my interpretation from what I've read). You set the amp and basically forget it, you then drive it from the guitar. The mid-boost is not designed to mimic a 2-channel switch "on the fly", it is there for single coil pickups or for when the master volume is set to less than 12 o-clock.

The same goes for the low and high dynamic range. That is footswitchable( which admittedly is a little confusing) but it is also not intended to mimic a 2-channel switch "on the fly". You, again, would set the amp to either low or high dynamic range and leave it there based on the optimum settings for your guitar and its pickups, etc.

From lots of posts I've read it seems (anecdotally) the amp works best for strats. Les Paul's, especially those with burstbuckers (e.g. '58 or '59 reissues), seem to have less success with the amp. I know there are LP players (such as slash) who use and like the amp, but it just seems that there are more posts from LP owners complaining about getting a good tone. I'd be very interested in the thoughts or experience of forum members regarding this point.

I'd like to understand what the correct setup is for using a pedal such as a vintage tonebender (or modern clone) with this amp. As the tonebender is producing the tone, what VM settings should be applied? On a 2-channel amp such a pedal would be plugged into a clean channel. On the VM you get a clean sound by having the guitar pot at 3. I'm confused about using a tonebender in such a setup.

Finally, I'd like to say how much I admire SteveD due to his participation on this forum. While I already love what this amp is about, finding this forum and seeing posts from Steve on it really seal the deal. I just gotta go try one for myself.

Thanks for any clarifications or corrections that can be made to the above.

dook

rccCrawler
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Re: Ready to try and buy a 2266C

Postby rccCrawler » 07 Oct 2008, 05:37

dook wrote:...... The mid-boost is not designed to mimic a 2-channel switch "on the fly", it is there for single coil pickups or for when the master volume is set to less than 12 o-clock.....From lots of posts I've read it seems (anecdotally) the amp works best for strats. Les Paul's, especially those with burstbuckers (e.g. '58 or '59 reissues), seem to have less success with the amp. ....
dook
I think most of your points are correct, but it would be a mistake to assume that the amp is designed for strats or LPs only, or that the mid boost is only for single coils. While that certainly matches a large percentage of the user base, there are many, many players on this forum and throughout the VM world for which this does not hold true.

I for one use a mid 80s Custom 24 PRS in high dynamic with the mid boost IN. I often (usually) play at volumes greater than noon. While a lot of players don't use the mid boost with humbuckers, some do, to good effect (or at least I'd like to think it is to good effect :D ). To me the key is that mid boost happens between the first and second pre amp tube, and that is where I want it. You could achieve the same effect I suppose in low dynamic with a OD and/or EQ in front of the amp, but I've tried that and not gotten the same tone (even with the beloved OCD).

Point is, while your experience may mirror what others have expressed on this forum, don't limit yourself or the amp to just that narrow niche - you can get a lot more out of it if you go outside those boundaries.

What I found is that you need to spend a good amount of time dialing it in, more so than other amps. But once you find your sound, you won't want to let it go, and thereafter you can drive from the guitar controls. It took me a good two weeks of tweaking to get it where I wanted it.

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 07 Oct 2008, 06:16

I wouldn't say the vintage modern categorically sounds bad with Les Pauls and/or humbuckers. There are plenty of people on the forum who get good AC/DC and Zep type tones out of the vintage modern. I doubt they are getting them with single coils.

The following clips sound pretty good.

Granted the guitar probably doesn't have Burstbuckers.

I suspect a lot of people who don't like the vm with humbuckers don't like humbuckers much to begin with.

On the whole I would not judge the vintage modern by sound clips on the web. Most people have the engineering skills of a four year old. Add some shitty computer speakers to the experience and reality goes out the window.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

re: pedals and VM

Postby HappyBlues » 07 Oct 2008, 06:33

Well to answer question about pedal and guitar volume pot:
You get a pretty clean sound from VM by lowering Body and Detail which are two gains for two separate frequency bands. When you set them so sound is clean you can put in front of amp fauvorite stomp and get your fauvorite sound. I use Boss pedals and they work great so I'd expect VM to work pretty good with pretty much any good pedal. So your tonebender should work like that IMHO. You can have vol. pot on guitar full that way.

To describe it better to you: VM is like being on sort of crunch channel of multichannel amp. You can get clean (by Body and Detail - Gain low) or pretty dirty (by cranking 'em up). But this is by far best "crunch" channel I ever heard and no multichannel amp I know sounds like that. That applies for Low Dynamic Range.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

Anton DC
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Anton DC » 07 Oct 2008, 06:35

Hi Dook,

I'd agree with rccCrawler. You do have to spend some time playing around with it. For what is basically a one-channel amp, it's got a hell of a range of tones and sounds in it. A one trick pony it ain't! I think it's easier to get a good sound with a strat, but that's not to say it's impossible with a Les Paul, it just might take a while longer (well in my experience!). I use a Clapton signature strat (which sounds good through a lot of amps), Les Paul and a 335 and you do need different settings for different guitars - I find the body/detail controls need to go up to about 5 or 6 for Gibsons whereas the strat is fine on about 2 or 3. (the strat has the mid boost circuit which fattens things up massively if I want to). I nearly always play on the high dynamic range for all guitars with the mid boost on and, if I can get away with it, master volume on about 7 ish. I have found it harder to get a good sound when the volume is less than halfway but again, not impossible, it just takes a bit of playing around to find it. I did wonder if I'd done the right thing to start with as I struggled to get a sound I liked with my Les Paul at one band practice but I found the sweet spot in the end.

I don't actually use the footswitch either because I stay on the same dynamic range and no other pedals. I have an AKG wireless system plus a tuner, both of which sit on top of the amp and so the only cables I need are two small patch leads. Occasionally I might use a boss multi effects board through the effects loop for odd things chorus or delay but for the basic tone and overdrive, the VM does it all and is perfect for playing rock/blues/country type stuff. When you turn the guitar volume down, the sound really cleans up nicely. It must be about the 6th or 7th amp I've bought (various Fender, Peavey and Marshall) but it's definitely the best amp yet.

By the way, I was slightly wary about getting the combo by some bad experiences here, but mine's been fine so far and I've been using it regularly for a couple of months. No regrets whatsoever.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 07 Oct 2008, 12:49

Welcome to the forum dook. :)

You can use the Vintage Modern in whatever way works for you with any pedals you want. I personally prefer fuzz boxes on the Low Dynamic Range but there are no rules, it all depends on how you play and what sound you're after. Experiment with settings and explore the vast soundscape within.

The amp is designed to work with any guitar, I think the Strat stories are prevalent because traditionally, from the JCM800 onwards the amps were voiced for humbuckers, so the Vintage Modern has come as a bit of a revelation for single coil users. :wink:

With regards to the Dynamic Ranges, The Low Range simply places the 'clean' region on a wider rotational area of your instruments volume pot, which is handy if your pickups are very hot. Then simply footswitch back to High in order to access more overdrive capability on the amp with the guitar volume. It's really a global sensitivity changer. The volume difference between the ranges is natural and preserves the dynamic that is the crux of this amp. 8)

spikei
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 2 times

Postby spikei » 07 Oct 2008, 13:29

Hi Dook, welcome.
if you want to feel what you play you will love this amp, i found it easy to get a really good sound from my strat it did take a bit longer to get what i wanted from my Gibson L P, but i think that was down to me not really understanding how this beauty works. i can now get nearly everything i want from both guitars by using the volume pots. this amp leaves other Marshalls Ive had and got in the shade. its the type of amp that puts a smile on you face when you play and only you know why :lol:
i must add that the backup Steve gives us and this forum is outstanding :wink:
Marshall Vintage Modern Combo
Marshall JVM 215 Combo
Marshall JMD1 501 Combo
Marshall AVT 100 Combo
Marshall 1936 Cab
Gibson L P Studio
Fender Strat A Std
Fender Jv Squire Strat
Ibanez 59 Deluxe

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby StephenRutledge » 07 Oct 2008, 20:23

Welcome Dook!

I use both a stratocaster and humbucker equipped guitars - various pedals also.
My Tom Anderson (humbuckers) has a naturally bright sound - IMO the VM responds really well to bright sounding guitars better than darker sounding instruments. I can run OD, Distortion and boost pedals with mid boost on without the bottom end getting too muddy. The stratocaster loves the VM also and again I can crank it from the front end with pedals and get a huge tone in both low and high dynamic range. This amp responds very dynamically to both your fingers and the instruments natural tones. You really need to take your instrument and pedals when testing the amp to discover what it can do for you. At the end of the day it's very subjective and only you will determine if the VM is for you... I love my VM :)

dook
<25
<25

Postby dook » 08 Oct 2008, 06:44

Wow! Thanks to all who responded. The comments have been very helpful.
SteveD wrote: With regards to the Dynamic Ranges, The Low Range simply places the 'clean' region on a wider rotational area of your instruments volume pot, which is handy if your pickups are very hot. Then simply footswitch back to High in order to access more overdrive capability on the amp with the guitar volume. It's really a global sensitivity changer. The volume difference between the ranges is natural and preserves the dynamic that is the crux of this amp. 8)
Ah I see. Thanks, that makes sense. I would never have derived that from reading reviews, etc. (I guess it's in the manual though).
rccCrawler wrote: I think most of your points are correct, but it would be a mistake to assume that the amp is designed for strats or LPs only, or that the mid boost is only for single coils. While that certainly matches a large percentage of the user base, there are many, many players on this forum and throughout the VM world for which this does not hold true.
Oh I didn't mean to imply things that harshly. I think SteveD's comments though vindicate the strat vs LP anecdotal perception I mentioned (although he attributes it more to strat players being catered for, for a change).
BenjiJuanKenobi wrote: On the whole I would not judge the vintage modern by sound clips on the web. Most people have the engineering skills of a four year old. Add some shitty computer speakers to the experience and reality goes out the window.
:smile: thanks for the links. I enjoyed the above line too!
Anton DC wrote: I'd agree with rccCrawler. You do have to spend some time playing around with it. For what is basically a one-channel amp, it's got a hell of a range of tones and sounds in it. A one trick pony it ain't! I think it's easier to get a good sound with a strat, but that's not to say it's impossible with a Les Paul, it just might take a while longer (well in my experience!). I use a Clapton signature strat (which sounds good through a lot of amps), Les Paul and a 335 and you do need different settings for different guitars - I find the body/detail controls need to go up to about 5 or 6 for Gibsons whereas the strat is fine on about 2 or 3. (the strat has the mid boost circuit which fattens things up massively if I want to). I nearly always play on the high dynamic range for all guitars with the mid boost on and, if I can get away with it, master volume on about 7 ish. I have found it harder to get a good sound when the volume is less than halfway but again, not impossible, it just takes a bit of playing around to find it. I did wonder if I'd done the right thing to start with as I struggled to get a sound I liked with my Les Paul at one band practice but I found the sweet spot in the end.
fantastic. thanks. My 3 fav guitars. LP, 335, and strat. Great to know. I'm now thinking getting an early Larry Carlton sounding tone (self titled album and strikes twice) might even be possible. I never imagined a 335 and this amp together.

Thanks also to freesun, spikei and StephenRutledge.

I'm going to try and track one down in Melbourne (Australia) or I'll stop at the hollywood guitar center next month on my next trip back to the USA. I travel through London every few months also - and Bletchley is only about 50 miles away :wink: My vintage LP is in the USA at the moment, so at least at the hollywood guitar center I can easily match the same guitar when trying out the VM. That will be almost impossible to do here in Melbourne.

Thanks again everyone.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 08 Oct 2008, 09:26

You can even use the Low Range to amplify an electro acoustic which works great. :wink:

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

re:

Postby HappyBlues » 08 Oct 2008, 23:09

Just make sure to run amp quite hot when you try it. It sounds 10x as good with master after half-way than with low settings. It accomodates stomps much better at this setting too. I guess it is designed to run quite hot. If it's too much volume for you there are always solutions like good attenuator or there are other people in this forum who found out how to play it on low volumes...
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

dook
<25
<25

Re: re:

Postby dook » 09 Oct 2008, 04:11

freesun wrote:Just make sure to run amp quite hot when you try it. It sounds 10x as good with master after half-way than with low settings. It accomodates stomps much better at this setting too. I guess it is designed to run quite hot. If it's too much volume for you there are always solutions like good attenuator or there are other people in this forum who found out how to play it on low volumes...
Can you explain about the attenuator? This would be handy for home practice.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

attenuator

Postby HappyBlues » 09 Oct 2008, 05:15

I am buying Weber attenuator once I get salary. That is in few days. They are reported to be really good, there are of course better products but this is not a costly solution... Anyone who can afford VM should be albe to afford a 125$ attenuator.

Attenuator in general connects between amplifier and speaker and it tries to lower volume without changing tone. Some does it better, som worse. Don't want to offend Steve but I heard Marshall Powerbrake to be probably the least succesful in this. And of course Ultimate Attenuator is told to sound best. But I stick to what is in my budget...

On performances you probably won't need attenuator... I don't need it even on band rehearsals. I just need it to practice at home since I live in a flat and 50W combo is too much for my small room with thin walls and even to my ears.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”