Moderator: longfxukxnhair

lincland
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Question about head cabinets

Postby lincland » 15 Jan 2017, 13:28

I have a Vintage Modern combo, and I want to put the head into cabinet. Are all the Marshall head cabinets the same? Is the VM exactly like a specific model? Anyone know of aftermarket manufacturers if I can't find a Marshall?

Thanks,

Lincoln

Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 18 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Question about head cabinets

Postby Dave W » 15 Jan 2017, 16:55

Others may be able to add more or clarify. Measure your combo. I have one and believe it is about 27.5 inches wide. I think the heads are more like 29.9 to 30 inches wide. So its a different chassis size. Please other chime in and correct me if wrong. What I am getting at is I don't think a VM combo amp chassis will fit directly into a VM or other head box and the holes line up etc. without drilling new holes. Also your number and letter and writing will be upside down if that matters to you because in the combo the head hangs upside down and the numbers and writing is adjusted so. Also, the VM head cab is a little different size than other Marshall heads. Sorry to be a bummer. If you are not concerned about looks and just want it to be portable then for about $20 you could easily make a head box cheap and easy. 1" x 10" by 6 foot and a 1" x 6" by 6 foot, a few screws and half pint of black stain and a cheap metal handle. The reason I mention making a cheap head cab is that it still will not look correct being from a combo so to pay 100-200 bucks needs to be considered.

lincland
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Postby lincland » 15 Jan 2017, 17:19

Thanks. I noticed that the dimensions listed for the heads and the combos are different. The heads are slightly longer. I considered the possibility that that might just be a little extra room in the cab and not the chassis. I wouldn't mind the whole thing being upside down. But I'm not enough of a wood worker to make even an ugly version.

I was hoping that there was another Marshall head that the combo shares a chassis with. It seems likely. Maybe not even the other VM, but an older model, or something else? I don't mind drilling extra holes, but the faceplate has to fit in the front and the back decently

Lincoln

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 15 Jan 2017, 18:10

The biggest issue with taking the chassis from a combo and putting it in a head is the control layout and tube locations are upside down and backwards. Otherwise, you can get most any aftermarket cabinet makers to make a custom head for it.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”