Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jsegovia
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Low Range Volume and High Range Boost Volume mod

Postby jsegovia » 10 Dec 2018, 16:38

I've heard about and I think seen pictures of this particular mod ,which consists of adding two additional volume knobs to the front panel of the Vintage Modern, one for the Low Range so you can bring it up to match the volume of the High Range (or set it where ever you like) and a second which acts as a boost volume, which (I'm not sure) may or may not be dedicated to the High Range. Both of these are foot switchable so in effect, you've sort of got a three channel Vintage Modern amp or at least a two channel with a volume boost.

Can anyone tell me how much this mod costs, who does it, and if you've done it yourself, how well it works out for you? I've heard of one mod which gives you a boost that utilizes the reverb switch on the Volume Modern foot switch (like most guitarists I think, I have little use for switching reverb on and off in the middle of a song), but you'd need at least three switches or is there some way of utilizing two switches to switch between all three volume settings?

And by the way, if I had this mod done I think I'd prefer to put the additional two knobs on the back of the amp - I know some volume mods are done this way.

This past Saturday I rehearsed with my classic rock band (Journey, Foreigner, Deep Purple, Boston, etc.) and bought both my TSL122 and my Vintage Modern. Unfortunately all the guys thought the TSL122 sounded much better but I believe it's because I was able to get all the tones we need out of the TSL122 easily with its three channels, but I still haven't gotten used to handling clean, rhythm and lead tones from the Vintage Modern.

Thanks!

Jesse
'07 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
'07 Marshall 425A cab
'89 Gibson Les Paul Custom three pickup
'05 Fender Eric Johnson Strat

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Low Range Volume and High Range Boost Volume mod

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Dec 2018, 11:28

It would help to understand the Vintage Modern.

It is not a two channel amp. LDR functions the same way as if you roll your guitars volume down to clean up the tone.

Also when you are in LDR one of the preamp tubes is removed from the circuit.

You will not achieve a equal volume in LDR.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jsegovia
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby jsegovia » 12 Dec 2018, 12:20

Yep, I understand all that. I owned a Vintage Modern about ten years ago (this is my second) and I've read many of the technical posts on this website and the old vintagemodern.com web site. I'm pretty sure I've seen exactly this same mod described on these pages and even a photograph of it, with two additional volume controls on the front panel. It certainly is possible to add foot-switchable additional volume controls to a single channel amp. Are you saying from a technical standpoint it's absolutely impossible to add an additional volume control and associate it only with the Low Range?
'07 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
'07 Marshall 425A cab
'89 Gibson Les Paul Custom three pickup
'05 Fender Eric Johnson Strat

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Dec 2018, 18:11

Where are you located? This way I can point you to someone who does this mod.

The modification is possible, but you will turn the VM into a 2 channel amp if you do.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Johnh
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 9 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Johnh » 14 Dec 2018, 11:27

If I wanted that, I think Id much rather develop an external work-around box using the FX loop and LDR/HDR switch, than to modify a perfect amp! just my opinion

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 16 Dec 2018, 12:15

jsegovia wrote:I've heard about and I think seen pictures of this particular mod ,which consists of adding two additional volume knobs to the front panel of the Vintage Modern, one for the Low Range so you can bring it up to match the volume of the High Range (or set it where ever you like) and a second which acts as a boost volume, which (I'm not sure) may or may not be dedicated to the High Range. Both of these are foot switchable so in effect, you've sort of got a three channel Vintage Modern amp or at least a two channel with a volume boost.

Can anyone tell me how much this mod costs, who does it, and if you've done it yourself, how well it works out for you? I've heard of one mod which gives you a boost that utilizes the reverb switch on the Volume Modern foot switch (like most guitarists I think, I have little use for switching reverb on and off in the middle of a song), but you'd need at least three switches or is there some way of utilizing two switches to switch between all three volume settings?

And by the way, if I had this mod done I think I'd prefer to put the additional two knobs on the back of the amp - I know some volume mods are done this way.

This past Saturday I rehearsed with my classic rock band (Journey, Foreigner, Deep Purple, Boston, etc.) and bought both my TSL122 and my Vintage Modern. Unfortunately all the guys thought the TSL122 sounded much better but I believe it's because I was able to get all the tones we need out of the TSL122 easily with its three channels, but I still haven't gotten used to handling clean, rhythm and lead tones from the Vintage Modern.

Thanks!

Jesse
A member with nick Burner had it! Just search his posts!
Here is another similar mod:
:dunno

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”