Martin

nondas
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: 2266 Hum on power

Postby nondas » 05 Jun 2009, 07:18

JimJ wrote:Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen. I think you've hit the nail on the head Steve. It is a buzzing type of hum. I took the back cover off and pressed down on the chassis as suggested. The tone of the buzz/hum does change and the volume reduces somewhat. The spacer is not present. What do you suggest in terms of getting the spacer. Cheers, Jim.
Hi Steve, my name is Peter. I've got a VM2266C (2007 model) that I just recently purchased and I have this exact same issue as Jim above. I'm also in Australia. Any assistance with solving this would be really great.

BTW, this is a fantastic amp.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 05 Jun 2009, 08:58

nondas wrote:
JimJ wrote:Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen. I think you've hit the nail on the head Steve. It is a buzzing type of hum. I took the back cover off and pressed down on the chassis as suggested. The tone of the buzz/hum does change and the volume reduces somewhat. The spacer is not present. What do you suggest in terms of getting the spacer. Cheers, Jim.
Hi Steve, my name is Peter. I've got a VM2266C (2007 model) that I just recently purchased and I have this exact same issue as Jim above. I'm also in Australia. Any assistance with solving this would be really great.

Since you have the combo I would also think that some of that buzz could be tube rattle.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

nondas
<25
<25

Postby nondas » 05 Jun 2009, 17:04

LivewireBlanco wrote:
nondas wrote:

Since you have the combo I would also think that some of that buzz could be tube rattle.
Hi LiveWireBlanco. Tube rattle is a different noise. I had that at the beginning and it ended up being a bad tube. I got it replaced and now that rattle is pretty much gone. You can hear I a little if I turn the body up full and hit a fat bass note, but I don't even notice it. Actually, my windows have rattled more than the tubes on that setting :cool
The buzz/hum is the only thing that is noticeable now.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 06 Jun 2009, 02:54

Welcome to the forum nondas. :Thumbs

I have sent you a PM.
Still my guitar gently weeps

nondas
<25
<25

Postby nondas » 06 Jun 2009, 18:10

Thank you, Steve. Much appreciated.

sib
<25
<25

Postby sib » 09 Jun 2009, 08:12

Hello,

I've also just picked up a 2266. I got it off a guy who bought it new about a year ago. I've got exactly the same problem... I've pressed down on the chassis near the mains transformer and the buzz goes away, I can also just wiggle the mains cord for the same effect and there is no spacer evident.
Could you let me know how this is fixed.

Hope you can help, Cheers, Simon

(urlym@ple
<25
<25

Postby (urlym@ple » 13 Jun 2009, 18:06

Hello Steve,
Just sign up to this forum just for these reasons, "buzzing" when turned on and also when the high gain switch-on (pushed in/white light) is this normal?!? I own a 50 watt version made in 07, my best amp so far, it just bugs me every time I power on.... so I just turn it up to mask the annoying buzz!

What's the cut off year for that spacer and how do I get one for my amp? and how much?
I live in Seattle, WA. and would definitely want to buy one for my amp!

Thanks in advance,
Dave
VM-50-2266 watt, M-2007-30-1138-2 RoHS

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 13 Jun 2009, 18:58

Dave,
First, welcome to the forum. :howdy
The problem described above is, as far as I know, only an issue with the 2266c combo amps. I doubt that is your problem. Sounds to me like you may have a ground loop or power situation going on. Tell us a little more about what you use in your setup (pedals & cables are usually the culprit) and we'll try our best to help you track the problem down (we've gotten pretty good at this). :think

(urlym@ple
<25
<25

Postby (urlym@ple » 13 Jun 2009, 19:46

slowpokerhino wrote:Dave,
The problem described above is, as far as I know, only an issue with the 2266c combo amps. I doubt that is your problem. Sounds to me like you may have a ground loop or power situation going on. Tell us a little more about what you use in your setup (pedals & cables are usually the culprit) and we'll try our best to help you track the problem down (we've gotten pretty good at this). :think
Wow! that was a quick reply!
Yeah, mine is a 50 watt head with that annoying buzz, Is it just my amp? The worst is when i pushed the high gain mode (not the mid boost) the buzzing is twice as loud. I plugged directly to amp with just my guitar. The way I was getting around this situation when I play live is; set the amp/eq'd with my neck pup for lead tone and just backed the vol for rhthym and use just ts9 in front of amp for more gain without that annoying buzz.
All the tube are in perfect order as i have my buddy (electrician and have built his own amp) at work to check the pre amps and power tubes to be in good working order.
I would say the one that concerns me the most is when the high gain is in used as it hum is very audible (master volume 10 o'clock and on up) then i have to back the gain to which I can not get a decent over drive which means useless?

But I will buy another one if it get stolen, LOL. Honestly I prefer Marshall head, been for the last 25 years for that matter.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 14 Jun 2009, 07:05

sib wrote:Hello,

I've also just picked up a 2266. I got it off a guy who bought it new about a year ago. I've got exactly the same problem... I've pressed down on the chassis near the mains transformer and the buzz goes away, I can also just wiggle the mains cord for the same effect and there is no spacer evident.
Could you let me know how this is fixed.

Hope you can help, Cheers, Simon
Welcome to the forum sib. :Thumbs

Check your PMs

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 14 Jun 2009, 07:17

The transformer spacer is actually applicable to both the 2266 and 2266C as they both use the same mains transformer.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 14 Jun 2009, 07:30

(urlym@ple wrote:Hello Steve,
Just sign up to this forum just for these reasons, "buzzing" when turned on and also when the high gain switch-on (pushed in/white light) is this normal?!? I own a 50 watt version made in 07, my best amp so far, it just bugs me every time I power on.... so I just turn it up to mask the annoying buzz!

What's the cut off year for that spacer and how do I get one for my amp? and how much?
I live in Seattle, WA. and would definitely want to buy one for my amp!

Thanks in advance,
Dave
VM-50-2266 watt, M-2007-30-1138-2 RoHS
Welcome to the forum Dave. :Thumbs

It's normal to get more hiss when in High Range as it has more gain but it shouldn't give more buzz. That could be something different.

The buzz discussed in this thread is not signal path related and is constant in level. It is caused by the mains transformer laminations resonating against the chassis. This issue was addressed from the beginning of 2008 in production but it is easy to retrofit the aluminium spacer between the transformer and chassis on units made before this date.

Remove the rear grille and visually check to see if the aluminium spacer is there or not (It's quite easy to see; it's like an extra lamination between the mains transformer and the chassis). From your serial number it's probably not but just check.

If it's not there, then try pressing the chassis near the transformer to see if the buzz changes tone or even reduces or disappears.

Let me know what you find.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 14 Jun 2009, 10:34

SteveD wrote:
The transformer spacer is actually applicable to both the 2266 and 2266C as they both use the same mains transformer.
Did not know that. Thanks Steve.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”