(urlym@ple
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: 2266 Hum on power

Postby (urlym@ple » 14 Jun 2009, 11:29

Welcome to the forum Dave. :Thumbs

It's normal to get more hiss when in High Range as it has more gain but it shouldn't give more buzz. That could be something different.

The buzz discussed in this thread is not signal path related and is constant in level. It is caused by the mains transformer laminations resonating against the chassis. This issue was addressed from the beginning of 2008 in production but it is easy to retrofit the aluminium spacer between the transformer and chassis on units made before this date.

Remove the rear grille and visually check to see if the aluminium spacer is there or not (It's quite easy to see; it's like an extra lamination between the mains transformer and the chassis). From your serial number it's probably not but just check.

If it's not there, then try pressing the chassis near the transformer to see if the buzz changes tone or even reduces or disappears.

Let me know what you find.
Hello Steve, :howdy
woh, it does goes away ...still audible but not as loud. The tranny and the base plate looks as it's one piece, no evidence of aluminum in between both tranny. Do I have to bring it to a tech or this is an easy fix I can do myself, I'm good with tools etc, instructions?

The other hiss/buzzing (at high vol on my amp) are the same thing (same settings as mine) on my friends newer 50 watt head when the dynamic range/high gain is pushed in. I guess that they are all the same due to high gain?!. :eek

What I've been doing is running a noise gate in the loop on at all times; Kelley TS9 and Hao Rumble mod in front of amp (for boost/high gain) :jam ; dr/mb push out, detail-4 o'clock, body 1 o'clock and volume at 1 o'clock in live set-up (in door or out door), I find these settings/sweet spot for my guitar-very pleasing to my ear and to be short, works for me with out the loud audible hiss when DR pushed in (it's off at all times). I don't even use my foot switch any more. I just hope i can use it in live application :bgrin the only function is at home when practicing at low volume :yea

Just a suggestion:
I wonder if we can do something about it? maybe maybe not? better/high end capacitor on that circuit maybe? I would definitely pay for it if fix is available that you know off :think even though I hate to part with my amp :no

I hope I'm making sense to you and please let me know?

My current rig;

I was going to buy another head at my local GC, but the issue is still present. Maybe I'll wait until the issue is resolved :violin

Your response is greatly appreciated! :jam MARSHALL AMPS ALL THE WAY :rocker

Kind regards,
Dave
VM-50-2266 M-2007-30-1138-2 RoHS

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 14 Jun 2009, 12:40

Your guitars are sick, I love that PRS on the right. Also I love the look of the vintage checkered cabs, very class. I see you are in Lynwood, I am in Kennewick. A lot of guys from the NW on this board. Glad to have you onboard.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

(urlym@ple
<25
<25

Postby (urlym@ple » 14 Jun 2009, 16:07

surfnorthwest wrote:Your guitars are sick, I love that PRS on the right. Also I love the look of the vintage checkered cabs, very class. I see you are in Lynwood, I am in Kennewick. A lot of guys from the NW on this board. Glad to have you onboard.
Thanks, Surf, :beerme you have nice gear your self :love

My fav is that 03 Gibson hallow body 356 Stinger which coincidentally came from Kennwick, Music Machine.
Yeah, I hardly played that guitar, too pretty (I might sell them as soon as the economy picked up). Lately, I have been playing my Gibson historic, I just like the way this phat neck fits my hands. I thought I would never get used to it, but I was wrong.

Have you had any issues like humming I'm having (when the DR pushed in) on my amps at loud volume from 10 o'clock and on and Detail three o'clock?! Hum will lessen if you back out the Detail knob (completely goes away at 9 o'clock) but I lose that sag I'm after when I do that and not as warm sounding, more of just crunch.

It will just hiss (set up given above) without having a guitar plugged in and hum when guitar is plugged in :dunno Is there something wrong with my amp?
Hum and hiss goes away when playing and re appear when I stop. I think I'm just paranoid and need to :chill :bgrin and turn my volume a bit :sick

I'm hoping Steve can hook me up with them Aluminum spacers for my tranny.
Have you done this to your amp or you have a newer version?

I'm curious to know?

PM me, if your going to be in the Lynnwood area and maybe we can hook up :Cheers

All the best,
Dave

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 15 Jun 2009, 02:22

Check your PMs Dave.
Still my guitar gently weeps

(urlym@ple
<25
<25

Postby (urlym@ple » 15 Jun 2009, 03:28

SteveD wrote:Check your PMs Dave.
Got it Steve! I sent her an email. Thank you, I'll post when it shows up. I think I'll be able to figure out how to install it, i will check also for reference at the beginning of this thread and see if I can pick up something and check back with you with the result. :clap

I heard you are working on something special, when are going to see it?? Is it VM on steroids :eek , can't wait to see what you come up with :Thumbs

Anyway, many thanks and your prompt response is greatly appreciated :Thumbs

Kind regards,
Dave

(urlym@ple
<25
<25

Postby (urlym@ple » 23 Jun 2009, 19:22

Hey Steve, :howdy

The spacer came in Monday, installed it in last night and it's all good, everything went a..Okay! :Thumbs
Problem solve, even the other hum went away for some reason. All i did was push all the plastic connectors tight and snug and hand tightend the out put transformer (3 screws was really loose).

The amp is back in business :love and I can't thank you enough, it's a good thing I bump in with this forum, pick up a lot of ideas and how to's and what not.

Anyways, many thanks again.

Kind regards,
Dave :beerme

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Jun 2009, 20:48

Have you had any issues like humming I'm having (when the DR pushed in) on my amps at loud volume from 10 o'clock and on and Detail three o'clock?! Hum will lessen if you back out the Detail knob (completely goes away at 9 o'clock) but I lose that sag I'm after when I do that and not as warm sounding, more of just crunch.
Typically I use low dynamic range with my effect chain and I get zero noise, I emulate a early Robin Trower tone with the 2466 using a Fulltone Vibe>Homebrew Compressor>EH Metal Muff>Digitech verb and delay to get it. If I go into high range it ruins that great Trower tone I use the VM for. In high range I do get a bit of noise but giving the high volume I usally run this is not uncommon. If I engage my ISP Decimator I have zero noise but I loose a bit of dynamics.

I have done a lot of business with Music Machine in the past when Dave Carpenter still owned it, he is still a good friend. That store is only 4 miles from my house. Dave was the number one Gibson dealer for many years before Gibson pulled the plug. My favorite guitar tone wise is my Gibson ES-359. While I love Les Pauls I won't go back to them as long as I can play the 359.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

nilsO
<25
<25

Postby nilsO » 19 Jul 2009, 15:22

My new VM has the same problem. So where to get this alu paper and can I do myself?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 20 Jul 2009, 12:20

Welcome to the forum nilsO. :Thumbs

Check your PMs.

Doomas
<25
<25

Postby Doomas » 20 Jul 2009, 12:51

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and I own the 2266C. It also has this loud and constant buzz on it and it kind of annoys me. It could be one of the older models so maybe I need the aluminum spacer too?
Gear:
Tokai LS85S GT (a Japanese '56 style Goldtop LP) with a Bigsby B7
Dean 79 Flying V
Gretsch G5700 Lap Steel
Epiphone EJ-200
Marshall VM 2266C
Roland Cube 60
Excalibur Analog Delay
Vox Wah

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 20 Jul 2009, 17:02

Welcome Doomas! :howdy

saoa4248
<25
<25

Postby saoa4248 » 24 Jul 2009, 12:13

Hi, I've got the same problem (the buzzing one )

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
-Andy
-Gretsch G5235T
-Ibanez SZ520BBL
-Cort EVL-K4 Custom
-Takamine G series
-Epiphone SG Custom
-Yamaha FG-403MS
-A&G Telecaster Custom
-Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
-Boss Super Shifter, Boss Loop Station, Boss Distortion, Boss Metal Zone, Behringer Digital Delay, Boss Noise Suppressor
-Dime Cry Baby From Hell
-Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah

Doomas
<25
<25

Postby Doomas » 31 Jul 2009, 10:37

I was also wondering if the buzz could have something to do with the stock tubes because when I go into the High Dynamic Range the buzz gets about twice as loud! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Gear:
Tokai LS85S GT (a Japanese '56 style Goldtop LP) with a Bigsby B7
Dean 79 Flying V
Gretsch G5700 Lap Steel
Epiphone EJ-200
Marshall VM 2266C
Roland Cube 60
Excalibur Analog Delay
Vox Wah

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 31 Jul 2009, 10:48

Probably not the tubes. Any sound (good or bad) will be louder in high range.
Did you check your amp to see if it has the spacer?
Could be a ground loop, are you using any pedals and if so how are they set up and powered?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 31 Jul 2009, 11:20

Welcome to the forum Doomas. :Thumbs

If the buzz increases in High Dynamic Range then it is not related to the spacer issue which has nothing to do with the signal path.

What exactly is your set up and what type of pickups are you using?

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”