Played my first gig with my Vintage Modern!

Vintage Modern Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Rypsolisti
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Played my first gig with my Vintage Modern!

Postby Rypsolisti » 09 Aug 2009, 08:08

Hi guys! I just yesterday played first gig with my VM 2266 and 425A cab. It was a real busy day, started out early in the morning putting together all the gear and then having a sound check. We had a small festival in front of a local bar where there were a lot of happening through whole day. I played in five different bands and had to learn a big bunch of new material for that day so the last week was soooooooooo busy! :crazy We didn't mic' my VM, only bass, singing and bass drum came from PA but the balance was still very good!

The most exciting part of that day for me was my own band's (Plan B) gig. We played as a trio, me in the guitar, bass player who also sang and drummer. As a first song we had Anthem by Rush which could have gone better as low E string of my Les Paul went out of tune right in beginning of the song and that really sucked :thumbsdown ! Fortunately I was able to quickly tune it during the song and rest of the song went ok. Next we played Who Are You by The Who and that one went a lot better than our first song and after that was Doctor Doctor by UFO. After first three songs we had a little jam and introduced the band and when that was done it was time for some Heavy Metal! :yea 2 Minutes To Midnight by Iron Maiden was probably my second favorite song of the set and it worked really well live and after 2 Minutes To Midnight came the toughest song of our set, YYZ by Rush. Surprisingly YYZ was the best one! It went really well, better than ever! And last but not least was Burn by Deep Purple and that was the highlight of the day for me personally! On Burn I used my green '62 reissue Stratocaster, it was a fun song to play but also a tough one for sure.

But what about VM? How did it work you probably ask. Well it worked brilliantly, it had perfect sounds for everything I was playing. With a Strat and low range I had a nice semi clean sound and with high range boosted with a Boss SD-1 I had a great high gain lead sound. Les Paul and high dynamic range produced that 70's/80's hard rock sound, perfect for stuff like Rush and UFO. And boosting high range I had an almost spot on Iron Maiden sound! Tone wise I could not have asked more and it was a really simple setup, I was practically in heaven :dance What I would have wanted was more volume from the low range. Of course we could have mic' it and that would have helped because at some points I had the volume almost dimed with low range and it still lacked a bit of volume but that problem was solved by lowering the overal volume. No volume issues with high range though. It was an outdoors gig by the way. So if you need loud cleans and more headroom, play outdoors and not always mic your amp 2466 might be a better choice. I might get 2466 as well some day as on some gigs it might be handy to have 100 wats especially with VM as it doesn't have a true clean channel. But all in all it was a pleasant experience and for this kind of stuff Vintage Modern was just perfect!!! :clap

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!

Rypsolisti
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Re: Played my first gig with my Vintage Modern!

Postby Rypsolisti » 09 Aug 2009, 08:18

Pics from the gig:

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 10 Aug 2009, 01:59

Cool songs to play... I'll bet it rocked !
I have yet to play my VM live .. but soon .. soon !!!
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Rypsolisti
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Rypsolisti » 11 Aug 2009, 06:16

gtrman wrote:Cool songs to play... I'll bet it rocked !
I have yet to play my VM live .. but soon .. soon !!!
Yeah, it was fun to play and audience seemed to like it. Our drummers dad recorded the whole gig so I'll try to post at least some clips.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 11 Aug 2009, 06:30

Yeah .. post clips.
We all like to hear & see the VM beeing used by the forum members here !
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”