Crossfire655
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

JTM45 or Vintage Modern need help to decide

Postby Crossfire655 » 21 Nov 2009, 09:32

Hi All

My favourite guitar tones are Angus young of AC/DC , Slash and Gary Moore.

I am going for the Rock/Blues kind of tone.

Would i be best off with a vintage modern or a JTM45 re issue.

I really cant decide between these two amps.

A friend told me that the low dynamic range on the vintage modern sounds very similar to a JTM45 and i could cover much more ground if i went the vintage modern route.

It also has the kt66 which i believe were used in a original jtm45?

help is much appreciated.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: JTM45 or Vintage Modern need help to decide

Postby slowpokerhino » 21 Nov 2009, 09:55

Well, do you need a master volume? Reverb? An effects loop? More gain?
Though the VM is based on the JTM45 circuit and you can dial in some pretty similar tones IMO they do sound different. It would be nice if you could compare the two side by side but I realize that's nearly impossible. If you don't need any of the above I'd say go for the JTM45, if you do (or think you will eventually) I'm sure you'll be very happy with the VM.

Crossfire655
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Crossfire655 » 21 Nov 2009, 10:10

slowpokerhino wrote:Well, do you need a master volume? Reverb? An effects loop? More gain?
Though the VM is based on the JTM45 circuit and you can dial in some pretty similar tones IMO they do sound different. It would be nice if you could compare the two side by side but I realize that's nearly impossible. If you don't need any of the above I'd say go for the JTM45, if you do (or think you will eventually) I'm sure you'll be very happy with the VM.
Thanks for the reply man.

I am not worried so much about Reverb , effects loop or more gain.

Although i can see that a master volume would definitly come in handy for smaller gigs.

this is a really tough choice.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 21 Nov 2009, 11:06

A friend told me that the low dynamic range on the vintage modern sounds very similar to a JTM45 and i could cover much more ground if i went the vintage modern route.
Yes he is right, also the Vintage Modern is just that, vintage tones with modern gain on tap. The JTM45 is a great amp also but if you want the flexibilty go with the VM, if you want that pure JTM45 tone then the 40th anniversary amp is killer.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 21 Nov 2009, 12:16

Keep in mind the JTM45 is a one trick pony. A beautiful trick it is, but it is what it is. I've had my VM for over 2 years now and still occasionally stumble on new sounds.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 21 Nov 2009, 12:58

Crossfire655 wrote:Hi All

My favourite guitar tones are Angus young of AC/DC , Slash and Gary Moore.

I am going for the Rock/Blues kind of tone.

Would i be best off with a vintage modern or a JTM45 re issue.

I really cant decide between these two amps.

help is much appreciated.
This thing nails that Angus and Slash tone like nobodys business!

I don't think theres any other amp that do both Angus and Slash and Gary Mores sound. This amplifier is better than any effects processor with 1000 pre sets thats for sure.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Crossfire655
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Crossfire655 » 21 Nov 2009, 13:44

Thanks Guys.

I think the vintage modern will be the best amp for me.

It seems to have all the tones down i want to play and the modern features are a nice touch.

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby frank9310 » 21 Nov 2009, 22:26

Definitely the Vintage Modern. I had a JTM45 reissue and it had a nice saggy low end growl and crunch but the mids and highs sounded like thin ice picks no matter how well biased or tubes I used. I wound up putting all new signal caps in and that helped to give me a smoother tone but that amp just didn't have any balls to it because the plate voltage is only 390 volts. It was ok at home but playing out with a band live against other Fender amps, it just couldn't cut through the mix on leads no matter how many overdrive pedals I used and the 30 watt thing wasn't really that loud. The Vintage modern plate voltage is around 530v! The 100 watt 2466 is just right. It's only 77 watts which is more comparable to a 50 watt Plexi as I run one of those in stereo with my VM,

Hendrix's JTM45/100 had a plate voltage of 545v so if you want a sound similar to that mid 6os classic rock sound of Free, Hendrix Wild Thing etc. with lots of balls, but beautiful warm, fat clean, definition, tone dynamics and singing leads, not to mention the option of low range vintage style or high range AC/DC and classic 70s rock then no question the Vintage Modern will clobber a JTM45 with 40% more plate voltage to the power tubes. I originally thought lower plate voltage meant better sag and sweeter tone and sustain but not true in this case as the VM has much more beautiful warm, sweet tone combined with great sag and that killer Marshall roar.

Have you watched the hotlicks video on this bad boy? http://www.licklibrary.com/channels/mar ... tagemodern

Here's the JTM45 I modded after many headaches, lots or money modding it and still not finding the sound I was after
http://areyouexperienced.net/Marshall-J ... e-Mods.htm

Vintage Modern rocks!
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 24 Nov 2009, 08:31

I would add that if you get a JTM45 that you get one from http://www.metroamp.com They are REAL clones of the original, not a re-issue with the wrong tubes and PCB circuit. I had a VM and now I have sold it and only use my JTM45. My $.02
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

toxx
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby toxx » 24 Nov 2009, 09:28

Both amps CAN get "similar" sounds, but if you want the real deal, you have to decide - modern amp or vintage amp. The JTM45 has a crazy good sound but won't sound like a 80s+ Marshall. And the other way round...

I'd choose the JTM45, sorry folks :winking ...

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 25 Nov 2009, 09:15

I have a hard time to choose .......
which one to play :bgrin

My JTM45 also has a tubebuffered FX-Loop and a mastervolume.
I really love both amps and you could not go wrong with either one.
The JTM 45 takes pedals like no other amp. The VM takes pedals also well in low range
but in high range only a boost works otherwise it is overkill.
Both amps can play all musicstyles well, but for blues the JTM45 is better and for rock/bluesrock
the VM is better in my opinion.So tough choice..
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

Crossfire655
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Crossfire655 » 25 Nov 2009, 15:15

Thanks for the replies.

The metro amps look and sound awesome but sadly being in the UK its a bit too pricey to get one shipped over , The jtm i had in mind would have been the re issue.

Still havent decided but tried a vintage modern recently which was simply amazing.

It was awesome how many different tones you can get from just using the pre amp controls , Also love the fact of how well the amp reacts to changes in guitar volume.

still unsure at the moment but leaning more towards the vintage modern.

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby frank9310 » 25 Nov 2009, 22:09

You'd be kicking yourself later if you bought a JTM45 Reissue after having played a VM. Imagine half the tone of the Vintage Modern on low range mode, half the volume and half the balls. That's what you'd have till you rip your hair out and trade it in for a VM. :woot
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ClubAndCountry » 26 Nov 2009, 09:00

I'd have the JTM45 and a decent overdrive pedal - possibly a Marshall Guv'nor, since that's what Gary Moore used with his, but there are literally hundreds of choices.

No I'm not kidding. I love the sound of the JTM45, and I don't like the sound of the Vintage Modern... it's really that simple! Sorry Frank :-). (And SteveD.)

And using an overdrive pedal with the JTM45 set clean, or close to it, does give you proper switchable overdrive with separate EQ and level control. OK, you don't get the reverb or the FX loop... but you could always use a decent reverb pedal if it matters - more versatile than the single preset in the VM - and if most or all of the overdrive is coming from a pedal, you can put other effects after it more, er, effectively :-).

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 26 Nov 2009, 09:07

ClubAndCountry wrote: and I don't like the sound of the Vintage Modern... it's really that simple! Sorry Frank :-). (And SteveD.)
Blasphemy I say! :bgrin
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”