Moderator: longfxukxnhair

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

"It's the little things......"

Postby SteveD » 03 Jul 2007, 05:16

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the rubberised 'soft touch' knobs on the Vintage Modern!

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby yngzaklynch » 03 Jul 2007, 17:00

I'll have my VM half stack within 2 weeks. I'll get back to you. Are you the designer of the VM? If so how did the VM come to be? Did Marshall just tell you to come up with an amp to appeal to a certain type of player? Of did you approach them with an idea?

Jim

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 03 Jul 2007, 17:32

Why are the VHT and Orange significant? Did he design those as well?

I am/was a JVM into a Bogner 4x12 player. Went the GC to try guitars and saw the Vintage Modern halfstack(100watt). After messing with the Body and Detail knobs I found a tone that reminded me soooo much of many of the great classic hardrock tones I grew up hearing. I'm 35. It was so open and clear even with a healthy amount of gain. The JVM rocks but it has a bit to much hair to the high gain channels and the crunch channel is sweet with a boost but I liked the VM much better. Well once I considered that I used the Crunch channel boosted by a Keeley modded SD-1 almost all the time... Well I went back a few days later and yep the VM once again blew me away. It's not a metal machine. At least not without a pedal. I assume it'll take to a boost pedal nicely. Anyways what I got was great rock tones that were reminicent of Led Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith, old EVH up to 80's guitar heros like Lynch, DiMartini/Crosby and Jake E Lee. Now the lead tones didn't feel fluid like the JVM. This is where I'm hoping a boost will allow for easy legatto style playing. Just gotta find a pedal that doesn't mess with the outstanding tone too much.

Jim

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 03 Jul 2007, 17:56

Don't gotta tell me about gas. In the past 3-4 years I've owned...

Peavey 5150 II
Soldano HR 50+XL and SLO
Bogner Uberschall and Ecstacy 101b
Engl Powerball
2 Marshall JCM 800 2203X
2 Mesa Boogie Mk IVs
Splawn Competition
Barrowed a Budda SD80 for awhile.

thats all I can remember at the moment

Quickdraw
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Soft touch knobs

Postby Quickdraw » 03 Jul 2007, 21:54

Steve,
Thanks for your answers on the tech questions on the other thread, as for the rubberized (soft) knobs... you are right it is the little things that make a difference, those reall do feel great and are really easy to tweak in a hurry. There are so many refinements and improvements over my last Marshall (a 1979 100 watt 2 x 12 4140), you really outdid yourself! Some things are just so simple to... like the white bezel for the footswitch!

Tom

antosimoni
Been liked: 9 times

Postby antosimoni » 04 Jul 2007, 03:16

I agrre this knobs are fantastic and also I dunno why but even if the VM has the same construction characteristics of the JVM the knobs are tough like old amps... great job!

Greco

Postby Greco » 04 Jul 2007, 04:33

Hi Steve,

I like the knobs. By the way - What do you call the colour of the VM over at Marshall?

...Personally, I like 'Ribena Sneeze' ;)

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 04 Jul 2007, 04:50

yngzaklynch wrote:I'll have my VM half stack within 2 weeks. I'll get back to you. Are you the designer of the VM? If so how did the VM come to be? Did Marshall just tell you to come up with an amp to appeal to a certain type of player? Of did you approach them with an idea?

Jim
Hi Jim,

The JVM was definately the amp that Marshall planned as their new range. However I thought that a lot of old school players (like myself) were being alienated and asked the 'powers that be' if I could design an extra range that would cater for the classic rock/blues rock type of players from the late sixties to the early eighties which would be able to provide the hot rodded tones too. They all said 'yes go for it' and the result is we now have the best of both worlds.

BTW A booster pedal will work fine with the Vintage Modern.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 04 Jul 2007, 05:06

Greco wrote:Hi Steve,

I like the knobs. By the way - What do you call the colour of the VM over at Marshall?

...Personally, I like 'Ribena Sneeze' ;)
'Ribena Sneeze' does it for me LOL! but it is actually referred to as 'Cougar' which was the project codename during development. (Cougar Fret cloth, Cougar Levant covering, etc.)

antosimoni

Postby antosimoni » 04 Jul 2007, 05:35

SteveD wrote: ...
BTW A booster pedal will work fine with the Vintage Modern.
:shock: even more gain?

Big Maggie
<25
<25

Re: Soft touch knobs

Postby Big Maggie » 08 Jul 2007, 02:44

Quickdraw wrote:Steve,
Thanks for your answers on the tech questions on the other thread, as for the rubberized (soft) knobs... you are right it is the little things that make a difference, those reall do feel great and are really easy to tweak in a hurry. There are so many refinements and improvements over my last Marshall (a 1979 100 watt 2 x 12 4140), you really outdid yourself! Some things are just so simple to... like the white bezel for the footswitch!

Tom
White Bezel??
Should my bezel be white? I have a 50 watt and my footswitch is black.
Tom
The point of the journey is not to arrive.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 08 Jul 2007, 03:31

Don't worry, he means the white jack socket nut for the footswitch input on the rear panel of the amp. This facilitates quick identification of this socket in low stage lighting.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 08 Jul 2007, 09:12

Any chance Marshall may come out with a matching 2x12 cab?
A "cougar" bluesbreaker style extension cab would be absolutely perfect! :wink:

Big Maggie
<25
<25

Postby Big Maggie » 08 Jul 2007, 09:58

SteveD wrote:Don't worry, he means the white jack socket nut for the footswitch input on the rear panel of the amp. This facilitates quick identification of this socket in low stage lighting.
Thanks,
That is indeed white on my amp.
This is my first Marshall after lusting after them for decades and it just blows me away! The tone is amazing most of my pedals are just collecting dust now.
Thanks again.
Tom aka Big Maggie
The point of the journey is not to arrive.

FullBend

Postby FullBend » 08 Jul 2007, 13:24

yngzaklynch wrote:... It's not a metal machine. At least not without a pedal. I assume it'll take to a boost pedal nicely. Anyways what I got was great rock tones that were reminicent of Led Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith, old EVH up to 80's guitar heros like Lynch, DiMartini/Crosby and Jake E Lee. Now the lead tones didn't feel fluid like the JVM. This is where I'm hoping a boost will allow for easy legatto style playing. Just gotta find a pedal that doesn't mess with the outstanding tone too much.

Jim
The difficulty in playing legato is EXACTLY why I love this amp! To my ears, most guitar recordings after about 1990 sound like violins, which is fine, but my 48-year old ears greatly prefer the crunchiness of Cream, Led Zep, etc. I can't thank SteveD and Marshall enough for bringing this product out. Maybe we'll see a resurgence of classic tone and--by extension--classic-style rock. :D

Steve

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”