StradlinRose
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

2266 50W - lead guitar volume boost???

Postby StradlinRose » 01 Nov 2010, 00:59

Hi, I am new to this forum.

My question has probably been asked a million times already, so I apologize. I've read many of the topics addressing this issue, but I'm still confused as I am "hardware retarded". :doh

But I know a bloody good guitar tone when I hear one, which is why I purchased a Vintage Modern 2266 50W head which I use with my Slash Les Paul.

Anyway, I love the sound, but I don't understand how to boost my volume for when I play a lead break or solo etc????

I don't use any effects pedals, I literally plug straight into the amp. I use a marshall footwitch to change between low and high.

I also have an MXR 10-band EQ, but that seems to merely "saturate" my sound rather than actually increasing the volume when I need.

Do I need to set the amp volume as loud as I need it, then use a pedal to reduce my volume when I am not playing a solo.

Can anyone explain it to me like I'm a five year old?

Cheers.

Dave.

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Re: 2266 50W - lead guitar volume boost???

Postby tramp » 01 Nov 2010, 01:50

Ha ha!

A transparent flat booster is always a godd move.

However what i and many are finding more satisfying is setting up your rhythm sound with the volume not maxed out on the guitar (I go around 7) and then push it up to 10 for your lead sound.

Its an amazingly reactive amp that way.

Spitfire
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Spitfire » 01 Nov 2010, 03:02

StradlinRose wrote: I also have an MXR 10-band EQ, but that seems to merely "saturate" my sound rather than actually increasing the volume when I need.

Do I need to set the amp volume as loud as I need it, then use a pedal to reduce my volume when I am not playing a solo.
Thats how I use my EQ pedal :winking
1. (minus db, for clean/
2. disengaged for crunch and
3. a pedal for solo boost)

Sometimes going from a tight superfunk groove into a solid crunch riff and back quickly is not possible to be near a volume knob and not miss a beat when you're doing 16ths with poly rythms. No one will tell me different. :numchucks

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 01 Nov 2010, 08:35

A clean boost in low dynamic is great for soloing. In high dynamic, the use of the volume pot is the best way to go.

The ultimate way to get a solo boost is to tell your FOH guy to turn you up in the mix! :laugh
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 01 Nov 2010, 16:34

Welcome to the forum StradlinRose. :Thumbs
Still my guitar gently weeps

rockfreak611
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 10 times

Postby rockfreak611 » 01 Nov 2010, 17:03

Has anyone ever had any experience with one of those "ebay attenuators" that go in the effects loop? I was thinking of getting one with a footswitch and turning it on to bring the levels down for rhythm and off for leads. Do they work well without changing the tone/gain?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Heritage Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahogany
Homemade EVH black & white frankenstrat replica
Marshall VM 2466 +425B cabinet
MXR '74 RI Phase 90, EVH 117 Flanger, Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, Crybaby 535Q, Boss DD-20, Hardwire Tube Overdrive

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Herbvis » 01 Nov 2010, 17:58

If you have never tried it, put your mxr eq in the effects loop. It will give you more of a tone shaping rather than a saturation effect. The volume on the pedal can also be set on the pedal to act as more of a solo boost! Give it a try, an eq in the loop vs straight in front of an amp is a night and day difference. Also, as stated earlier, a clean boost in the effects loop will also act as a straight volume increase with no effect on your tone.
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

StradlinRose
<25
<25

Postby StradlinRose » 01 Nov 2010, 23:26

kevinantich wrote:an eq in the loop vs straight in front of an amp
Wait, what is the difference? I'm confused.

I have guitar plugged into mxr, it's the first thing guitar goes into. Then output from mxr goes into the VM input. What other possible setup is there?

Mr. Mother Head
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 15 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Mr. Mother Head » 02 Nov 2010, 04:28

The pedal goes into the effects loop (jacks on the back of the amp: send>pedal in>pedal out>return). Set it to the -10dBV position and switch the loop ON. This way the volume boost will be added after the signal has passed through the preamp, so it won't affect the saturation of your tone (as much).
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Washburn N4 Relic

Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 + 425A
Mesa Boogie F50 Combo

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Herbvis » 02 Nov 2010, 08:13

yes, in the effects loop, need a few more cables to do it. it works great!
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 20 times

Postby jab » 02 Nov 2010, 22:35

here's my attempt at the 5 year old answer:
- the amp works different than other amps, thus a boost in the fx loop will not work like a boost in the fx loop of other amps. I experienced a slight volume increase using a boost or an eq boosted in the fx loop, not the usual massive volume increase I got with those same pedals in the fx loop of other amps. There is some technical amp design answer to why it is the fx loop behaves like this on VM and not other amps, and I won't attempt to explain it, because I can't. Just have to accept it.
- so far best thing I've found is to a) use a clean boost in front or fx loop for a "decent" volume boost (not great, more noticeable in LDR than HDR because of compression characteristics), b) set your main VM tone with your guitar volume at 5-7 then turn it up for solos, or c) do a little of both (which is pretty much what I do).

Some use the db cut pedal trick (turn pedal on for rhythm/off for solo), and some like the detox eq which cuts everything for rhythm, then turn it off for solos giving you the same type of effect. You'll read mixed reviews on both solutions.

Seems to me if you're not a pedal user you might want to try the 'ol "set your tone up at 5-7 on your guitar volume knob and take it to 10 for solos". That was the original intent of the amp to start with.
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

Riffraff
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby Riffraff » 03 Nov 2010, 01:15

This has been covered many times here. THE SOLUTION is the Weber Attenuator with the foot switchable bypass option. You set it for slight attenuation for rhythm and stomp on the bypass switch for lead. Your tone doesn't change at all and you get exactly what you are after for the price of a pedal because you can use the Minimass with the 2266 which is only $115.....problem solved. https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

There is no better solution than this. The amp was designed for you to go from rhythm to lead with the volume pot on your guitar. You need to volume cut with this amp because any other foot switchable method adds gain or has little effect if you are already in HDR. Nothing does the volume cut trick better than this.

StradlinRose
<25
<25

Postby StradlinRose » 04 Nov 2010, 00:26

Thanks to those who replied.

I'm with y'all now. :)

I think a pedal with a clean boost to my signal is what I should be investigating. I lose my tone (not volume) when I use the guitars volume control.

-- Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:34 pm --
Riffraff wrote:This has been covered many times here. THE SOLUTION is the Weber Attenuator with the foot switchable bypass option. You set it for slight attenuation for rhythm and stomp on the bypass switch for lead. Your tone doesn't change at all and you get exactly what you are after for the price of a pedal because you can use the Minimass with the 2266 which is only $115.....problem solved. https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

There is no better solution than this. The amp was designed for you to go from rhythm to lead with the volume pot on your guitar. You need to volume cut with this amp because any other foot switchable method adds gain or has little effect if you are already in HDR. Nothing does the volume cut trick better than this.
This sounds really cool. Thanks for the info.

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Herbvis » 04 Nov 2010, 06:20

As far as clean booster go, I have owned a fulltone fatboost 3, Mi audio boost n buff, and a catalin bread super chili picoso. Super Chili is the best, fatboost second and boost n buff 3rd, at least for me. Super chili = 1 knob and a fat/clean switch, simple and works excellent. FB3 a few knobs to fuck with, can add gain(I didnt want that) works pretty well, B&B, pain in the ass to set, added gain, not a fan, however there other boxes are aamazing!
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 09 Nov 2010, 08:09

yes, the only solution is the weber attenuator if you want a good volume boost without losing your gain for rythm

-- Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 am --

yes, the only solution is the weber attenuator if you want a good volume boost without losing your gain for rythm

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”