Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Tremolo Arm
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New 2266 owner needing some pointers

Postby Tremolo Arm » 24 Nov 2010, 15:30

I finally took the plunge on a 2266 head.

Users of this forum may remember that I enquired whether a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab would be a good fit. Well I got the 1936 cab (currently loaded with G12-75s) but upon advice from the forum will probably swap the drivers for some Vintage 30s.

Anyway I have a couple of technical questions with regards to the head.

1. Is it normal that the tone remains almost exclusively clean in the LDR mode? I am playing through a Les Paul and even with the guitar volume dimed, the tone is very clean. In contrast, the tone becomes heavily distorted when I switch to the HDR mode, even with the guitar volume level barely at 3-4.

2. Could it be that the reverb on my amp is faulty? It makes very little difference to the sound even when dimed. It also makes a strange hiss the more I turn it up, but as I said, even on full the effect is very subtle. In contrast the reverb on my JMD is really pronounced and evident already at 9 o'clock and on full it's just insane. How can I check if the reverb on the 2266 is faulty and how do I repair it? The amp has been hardly used, but it's already out of warranty.

Many thanks in advance.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic with Bare Knuckle Black Dog, Mule and DiMarzio Super Distortion
Fender American Vintage 62 RI Stratocaster
Fender 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster Baja
Taylor 114
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 head
Marshall 1936 2x12 speaker cab loaded with Celestion G-12C 25W speakers
Boss GT10
Zoom Q3HD

Yaff
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Re: New 2266 owner needing some pointers

Postby Yaff » 24 Nov 2010, 15:46

If you are saying that with the LP volume at max, Detail at max and Body at max its still clean, I would say it needs some attention.

I am also new to the amp and using a Les Paul. In LDR with Detail and Body near max, I get very nice classic crunch. I must admit, I prefer it in HDR with Detail and Body about mid way, but it still sound very nice in LDR.

For clean, still prefer my Orange Tiny Terror, but that could be due to the relatively low volume I am playing, as only play at home. With the Gain low, I can really push the TT at bedroom volume. Maybe the VM cleans will grow on me in time.

All the best.
Milton Keynes, UK - Home of Marshall & the MK DONS

ccl2i
<25
<25

Postby ccl2i » 24 Nov 2010, 17:58

Tremolo Arm wrote: 1. Is it normal that the tone remains almost exclusively clean in the LDR mode? I am playing through a Les Paul and even with the guitar volume dimed, the tone is very clean. In contrast, the tone becomes heavily distorted when I switch to the HDR mode, even with the guitar volume level barely at 3-4.

2. Could it be that the reverb on my amp is faulty? It makes very little difference to the sound even when dimed. It also makes a strange hiss the more I turn it up, but as I said, even on full the effect is very subtle. In contrast the reverb on my JMD is really pronounced and evident already at 9 o'clock and on full it's just insane. How can I check if the reverb on the 2266 is faulty and how do I repair it? The amp has been hardly used, but it's already out of warranty.

Many thanks in advance.
I've had the 2266 and currently own the 2466 and the tone on the LDR is relatively clean until my Detail is up past 6-7 or so (I keep my body around 5). Even with the gain maxed there isn't a lot of overdrive, but it by no means is clean. I think Led Zeppelin style overdrive when the gain is up.

I found the Detail and Body have the most effect on the overall sound. I keep the detail higher on LDR than HDR. I find the HDR to be a pretty spiky if the detail is up too high but there are a huge range of sounds. To be honest, the first few times I played the amp I hated it...just need to work with it a little.

On my 2266 the reverb was VERY faint and when it was all the way up there was barely any. On my 2466 you can hear the reverb effect a lot more, but it's still subtle and dark. The VM doesn't excel at reverb. I wouldn't know the first thing about the reverb though...I believe it's digital. But the strange hiss definitely does not sound normal. Both of my VM heads have been VERY quiet.

I'd do a tube swap and bias if you haven't and you'd probably need to have a tech look at your reverb.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 25 Nov 2010, 10:40

It's quite normal for the Low Dynamic Range to be a lot cleaner than the High Range because after all, it corresponds to what you get when you turn your guitar volume down low when in High Range. This is the dynamic aspect of the amp.

Set the amp to High Dynamic Range, turn the guitar volume down to 2 or 3, switch to Low Dynamic Range then turn the guitar volume to full. The sound should be quite similar if your guitar volume pot is decent quality.

The reverb on the Vintage Modern is deliberately subtle and is more of an ambience than a prominent effect. The noise when turning it up is normal because you are amplifying general circuit noise as well as the reverb signal. This will be the same with most amps that offer reverb.
Still my guitar gently weeps

DogFalcon
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby DogFalcon » 25 Nov 2010, 10:45

SteveD,

3000 posts!!!!

Congratulations!!!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Nov 2010, 11:07

DogFalcon wrote:SteveD,

3000 posts!!!!

Congratulations!!!
What is significant about that is it shows Steve's commitment to Marshall and to the players that use the products he helped produce. It is not like he showed up posted a few entries and ran away, he has been here for almost four years now helping many including myself.

So if you look at the time it took to make those 3000 posts I would say it is a fair statement that his dedication is true and consistent. Very admirable in my book.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

sugarkane
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby sugarkane » 25 Nov 2010, 13:08

[quote=Anyway I have a couple of technical questions with regards to the head.

1. Is it normal that the tone remains almost exclusively clean in the LDR mode? I am playing through a Les Paul and even with the guitar volume dimed, the tone is very clean. In contrast, the tone becomes heavily distorted when I switch to the HDR mode, even with the guitar volume level barely at 3-4.

Many thanks in advance.[/quote]

1. I own two Les Pauls - a 1978 Custom (with T-Tops) and a 2004 Standard (with Burstbucker Pros). They are quite different within the same family sound and the 78 is "hotter" in output. Both distort in LDR (a typical Marshall grit, but it's no HDR) if Detail is on 10 and Body is 4-6 and the LP pot is at 10. Backing off should clean up considerably - Guitar Vol set in the range of 1-3 is not too low on the VM and is a favourite position for me. It won't sound quieter by much, just cleaner. I like this way of doing things more than cleaning up at the amp gain settings.

2. I don't want to start any fires but I would not say the VM reverb is overly subtle. Just me, but I find a little goes a long way - I prefer it off but can tolerate up to about 1&1/2. Yes you should hear it on 10! It is a digital component - a little bit of computerisation in the innards - so if it has gone down the operation of the rest of the amp should be unaffected.

HF1600ie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby HF1600ie » 25 Nov 2010, 15:13

In my opinion, you should really look at the VM as being 2 amps in 1 chassis.

You can go " clean " in the HDR. Try putting Detail at 4 and Body at 2. Crank the Master volume to 5 and put presence around 5 or 6. Tell me what you get. IF needed turn up the treble knob to 7. Leave all other´s at 5.
Or you can go " clean " in the HDR with the Detail at 7 or 8 and Body at 4 or 5. Same setting on EQ. All you have to do is roll back your guitar volume. You´ll get another kind of clean sound.

IF you decide to use the LDR. There´s plenty of room to get cleans. With Detail around 8 and body at 4 you can get Fender-type cleans. Think Mark knopfler.
Then you decide to turn the mid-boost on... and you´re in "crunch" territory.

Try experimenting. It´s fun :-)

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 25 Nov 2010, 16:43

With Detail around 8 and body at 4 you can get Fender-type cleans. Think Mark knopfler.

I don't know man, I think you might be a little off base here brother. Marks cleans or Fender cleans is something I do not get from my 2466. I do not think the Vintage Modern is even close to a clean amp. I can get "cleaner tones" by lessening my pick attack and rolling the gtr volume back, but those tones are not Fender cleans but they are very usable cleans.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DogFalcon
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby DogFalcon » 26 Nov 2010, 08:02

surfnorthwest wrote:
DogFalcon wrote:SteveD,

3000 posts!!!!

Congratulations!!!
What is significant about that is it shows Steve's commitment to Marshall and to the players that use the products he helped produce. It is not like he showed up posted a few entries and ran away, he has been here for almost four years now helping many including myself.

So if you look at the time it took to make those 3000 posts I would say it is a fair statement that his dedication is true and consistent. Very admirable in my book.

If Marshall would rename the VM to "SD model", it would be, actually, a fair tribute. :)
But I know ihe would be the first to say "No".

He is a very helpful and nice person.

jab996
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 239 times
Been liked: 57 times

Postby jab996 » 27 Nov 2010, 06:10

The reverb on my 2266 also makes a hissing sound. My solution to the problem is to turn the VM's reverb knob all the way down and I also bypass it at the footswitch. No more hissing. When I want some reverb, I use a separate reverb pedal.

DogFalcon
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby DogFalcon » 28 Nov 2010, 02:28

I like the VM reverb but I do prefer to play with the natural reverb of the room where my amp is most of the time.

I notice no hiss.

Yaff
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Yaff » 07 Feb 2011, 10:11

Yaff wrote:If you are saying that with the LP volume at max, Detail at max and Body at max its still clean, I would say it needs some attention.

I am also new to the amp and using a Les Paul. In LDR with Detail and Body near max, I get very nice classic crunch. I must admit, I prefer it in HDR with Detail and Body about mid way, but it still sound very nice in LDR.

For clean, still prefer my Orange Tiny Terror, but that could be due to the relatively low volume I am playing, as only play at home. With the Gain low, I can really push the TT at bedroom volume. Maybe the VM cleans will grow on me in time.

All the best.
Since trading in my 1960 Can for a new 425, the Orange TT has been gathering dust! Absolutely love it and it now meets all my needs at all volumes.
:clap
Milton Keynes, UK - Home of Marshall & the MK DONS

greengriff
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby greengriff » 07 Feb 2011, 11:20

Don't write off the 1936 (or the G12T 75) yet. Try buying a single Vintage 30 and running it in your 1936 alongside one of the 75s. They work very well together.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”