Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Anyone try SteveD's mod

Postby SteveD » 02 May 2011, 04:09

Beck-Ola wrote:
SteveD wrote:
Beck-Ola wrote:I did try a .68uF in C1 but it didn't give me enough "more", lol.
Traditionally the .68uF cap is paralleled with a 2k7 resistor in the cathode and together they give a shelving frequency of approximately; -

1/(2*pi*R*C) = 1/(2*3.142*2700*.68exp-6) = 86Hz (near enough the frequency of a guitar's low E string).

Using .68uF with the Vintage Modern's stock 1k5 cathode resistor as you did gives 1/(2*3.142*1500*.68exp-6) = 156Hz (Almost doubling the shelving frequency).

Whereas using the 1uF with the 1k5 gives 1/(2*3.142*1500*1exp-6) = 106Hz (Close enough to the traditional response).

Changing C1 and/or C2 is an easy mod and easily reversible if the previous configuration was prefered but be aware that your warranty, if still in term, will be voided!
So the stock 220n results in a shelving frequency of approximately 482Hz, which is about 2 1/2 octaves up (near B on the high E string). I surmise in that way most of the fundamentals are shelved and the harmonics are emphasized? But with a 1uF then all the fundamentals are unaffected down to 106Hz (near A flat). So that would sound very natural. Good stuff.
Yes, but remember in stock format the Detail is designed to work in tandem with the Body which takes care of the fundamentals. With the mod the Body may not even be required any more as it's back to the more traditional values. Low Range will also have more poke at the Detail control.

-- Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 am --
yngzaklynch wrote:Steve are the PCB boards double sided? I have an A.A.S in Electronic Technology and was an Avionics Tech in the US Navy but I have been out of the tech field for many years and forget a lot and my soldering is horrid I'm sure. I do know someone with very good equipment that works in the biomed filed and may do this small job for me. Any point is getting a specialty cap like an Orangedrop or Sozo?
Yes the PCBs are double sided and it's up to you if you want to get a particular type of cap, as long as the voltage is at least 400V for C2. Something with the same or similar pitch as the original would obviously be easier to fit. A 1uF/25V radial electrolytic cap for C1 fits pretty well, remembering to make sure the negative leg is nearest the front panel of the amp for correct polarity.
Still my guitar gently weeps

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby yngzaklynch » 02 May 2011, 14:50

So Steve let's say you happen to be shopping from this site...
http://www.sozoamplification.com/

Which 2 caps might you select for C1 and C2?

Jim

robbo
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby robbo » 02 May 2011, 20:40

Rockerduck wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. lol. I really like the way mine sounds as is. A good dirt pedal adds all the meat I need and more.
hmmm... now I'm curious as to what members here feel constitutes a good 'dirt' pedal.. I like to play the VM in the Low Dynamic range.. .. but flat out on the master ..(with detail at about 7 and body at about 5 ..everything else flat out) ..but use the MI Audio tube zone for a bit more drive.. that way I'm getting the saturation of the power tubes as well.. thinking of trying the tube screamer as well.. but I'd be interested to find out others preferences in drive pedals with the VM.. :beerme
ROBBO..
..I don't like hip-hop music.. and I don't mean to denigrate those who do...
..And to those people who like hip-hop music.. denigrate means 'to put down'..

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 03 May 2011, 02:11

robbo wrote:
Rockerduck wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. lol. I really like the way mine sounds as is. A good dirt pedal adds all the meat I need and more.
hmmm... now I'm curious as to what members here feel constitutes a good 'dirt' pedal.. I like to play the VM in the Low Dynamic range.. .. but flat out on the master ..(with detail at about 7 and body at about 5 ..everything else flat out) ..but use the MI Audio tube zone for a bit more drive.. that way I'm getting the saturation of the power tubes as well.. thinking of trying the tube screamer as well.. but I'd be interested to find out others preferences in drive pedals with the VM.. :beerme

I like the Barber Direct Drive.

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Bailz » 03 May 2011, 03:11

TS808 RI works well for me.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 03 May 2011, 13:32

yngzaklynch wrote:So Steve let's say you happen to be shopping from this site...
http://www.sozoamplification.com/

Which 2 caps might you select for C1 and C2?

Jim
The .0022 mustard would be suitable for C2 but there is nothing on that site for C1.

A 1uF/25V radial electrolytic cap is pretty common from most standard suppliers anyway. There will probably be somewhere close to you that sells them if you ask around.
Still my guitar gently weeps

robbo
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby robbo » 03 May 2011, 16:54

cheers yngzaklynch that barber looks real interesting gonna check that out further ..and Bailz.. I've got a TS808 clone somewhere in my old pedals cupboard ..have to dig it out and give it a whirl.. I want to keep the tone of the VM unchanged if thats at all possible.. just have it driven at a reasonable volume without losing that tube saturation.. :) ..or changing the vibe of the amp
ROBBO..
..I don't like hip-hop music.. and I don't mean to denigrate those who do...
..And to those people who like hip-hop music.. denigrate means 'to put down'..

sunking420
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 6 times

Postby sunking420 » 06 May 2011, 16:11

SteveD made me laugh. If it involves more than adjusting volume, I take it to the amp shop!!!!!.... I wish I did know how to be a tech myself.

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 06 May 2011, 17:16

Ok Steve the .0022 SOZO mustard cap is ordered and I'll go find a 1uf/25v cap tomorrow around town. I'll drop it off to the tech this week and when he get's it done we'll put it back together and hopefully it'll be higher gain than before.

Jim

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 May 2011, 18:09

yngzaklynch wrote:Ok Steve the .0022 SOZO mustard cap is ordered and I'll go find a 1uf/25v cap tomorrow around town. I'll drop it off to the tech this week and when he get's it done we'll put it back together and hopefully it'll be higher gain than before.

Jim
You have to promise us clips when the mod is done. :Pirate2 :Pirate2
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 06 May 2011, 19:56

surfnorthwest wrote: You have to promise us clips when the mod is done. :Pirate2 :Pirate2

Bro you know I will. And I will be honest, If I find that I prefer the VM in it's stock form I will say so. Keep in mind that I am almost 40 and a huge fan of the 80s hair metal scene. Lynch, DeMartini, Sykes and of course EVH are "my guys", along with YJM, Wylde, Rhoads, Lee and Paul Gilbert. If the result of this mods get's me closer to those guys tones then I'll probably consider it successful. If not, I may have the mod reveresed. I have 2 OD pedals to use with this mod so... Whatever it takes to get there.

Jim

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 May 2011, 20:19

What no love for Kingdom Come.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 07 May 2011, 05:41

surfnorthwest wrote:What no love for Kingdom Come.

Not really? You? I saw them on the Monsters of Rock tour.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 May 2011, 08:36

yngzaklynch wrote:
surfnorthwest wrote:What no love for Kingdom Come.

Not really? You? I saw them on the Monsters of Rock tour.
Yea I like to play a lot of their stuff. One of my favorite "Hair Metal" bands.

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 07 May 2011, 08:51

Hey Steve I found a 1 uf/50v cap. I assume the 50v rating is fine.

-- Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 pm --

Just waiting on the SOZO mustard cap and I will get it to the tech. Steve will this extra gain add some low volume sustain?

Jim

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”