Moderator: longfxukxnhair

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Anyone try SteveD's mod

Postby SteveD » 09 May 2011, 13:10

50V will be fine. There's very little voltage in the position where that cap is fitted.

You'll probably find that you don't need as much Body as before and the Detail will be your main gain control. I'd rather just wait to hear what you think than colour your first impression. I expect you may prefer it but I could be wrong. You'll certainly get more gain. Please let us know.
Still my guitar gently weeps

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby yngzaklynch » 13 May 2011, 15:30

Just got notification that my Sozo mustard cap shipped. Should all be over this week.

1poorplayer
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby 1poorplayer » 15 May 2011, 20:21

:think Please don't leave us hanging !!

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 16 May 2011, 14:56

It's still with the tech. Maybe tomorrow.

DEXMAN
<25
<25
Has Liked: 59 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby DEXMAN » 16 May 2011, 22:15

Never thought I would want to mod my 2266 this amp is just to damn good, but after reading Steve the Mans comments maybe ! I bought the VM to replace my old 1959 which I had for 25 years ( made in 1972 - point to point job ) and still in love with. I run the VM into quad box loaded with 25ms and my Les Paul just sounds killer. After gettingthe VM I stopped messing with distortion pedals and overdrives. When I lost the superlead I tried JCM 800s 900s DSLs and even some flashy yank amps , but mate the VM rocks maybe I will pull out the soldering iron but that means time away from the tone ! All hail Steve D
SIX STRINGS ON SOME WOOD

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 16 May 2011, 23:22

DEXMAN wrote:Never thought I would want to mod my 2266 this amp is just to damn good, but after reading Steve the Mans comments maybe ! I bought the VM to replace my old 1959 which I had for 25 years ( made in 1972 - point to point job ) and still in love with. I run the VM into quad box loaded with 25ms and my Les Paul just sounds killer. After gettingthe VM I stopped messing with distortion pedals and overdrives. When I lost the superlead I tried JCM 800s 900s DSLs and even some flashy yank amps , but mate the VM rocks maybe I will pull out the soldering iron but that means time away from the tone ! All hail Steve D
Shouldn't take you more than an hour, if that long.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

1poorplayer
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby 1poorplayer » 18 May 2011, 17:58

:Jerkoff - that's just plain wrong. Lol. I live a sheltered uneventful life , and now find myself intrigued by this mod. Sounds like a good one.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 19 May 2011, 01:19

It would be most amazing if we could make this a switchable mod...I would love to have it to bring some heat for really heavy stuff...but I'd also like to have the stock way at the same time and be able to switch back & fourth on the fly.

Like having a 3rd Dyanmic Range----Super HDR!
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Beck-Ola » 19 May 2011, 14:36

Slashwannabe1 wrote:It would be most amazing if we could make this a switchable mod...I would love to have it to bring some heat for really heavy stuff...but I'd also like to have the stock way at the same time and be able to switch back & fourth on the fly.

Like having a 3rd Dyanmic Range----Super HDR!
Very easily done, especially with C1. The only drawback is needing to add the switch. Probably could use a push-pull for the Detail pot to avoid drilling a hole. As for C2, it would need to be shielded wire to the switch and routed carefully to avoid noise. Personally I'd just choose which way I preferred it and stick with that and not switch them. :howdy

-- Thu May 19, 2011 1:38 pm --
1poorplayer wrote::Jerkoff - that's just plain wrong. Lol. I live a sheltered uneventful life , and now find myself intrigued by this mod. Sounds like a good one.
Heh heh, a little time spent learning to solder and less time spent :Jerkoff and you too could accomplish this in no time, lol. :clap
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

1poorplayer
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby 1poorplayer » 19 May 2011, 19:30

OK Beck Ola , did YOU ever end up trying the 1uF like Steve advised , or have you been too busy , :Jerkoff Hehe

I can run a soldering iron. Squeeze the trigger and BURN through the board. Then take a melted piece of plastic to my tech friend. Can someone list the exact materials needed and specifics of the mod here , so I can email a link to my tech buddy and get him up to speed ? Thanks.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 May 2011, 20:05

I would wait until we get some clips or some thoughts from yngzaklynch before you do anything. I think we can agree the VM is pretty damm perfect how it is. If you want to mod that is fine but I wouldn't jump on it until you heard enough of a difference for yourself to make it worth your while. You do loose your warranty.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Beck-Ola » 19 May 2011, 20:36

1poorplayer wrote:OK Beck Ola , did YOU ever end up trying the 1uF like Steve advised , or have you been too busy , :Jerkoff Hehe

I can run a soldering iron. Squeeze the trigger and BURN through the board. Then take a melted piece of plastic to my tech friend. Can someone list the exact materials needed and specifics of the mod here , so I can email a link to my tech buddy and get him up to speed ? Thanks.
I don't need to do that. I'm married to a beautiful woman who takes care of it. You can go :kissass

No, I don't believe the amp's necessarily perfect. I've done a couple of mods on mine including changing C1 and I've modded my nephew's Vintage Modern as well to change his Midboost response. Did that a couple of years ago. I haven't tried the 1uF. Have thought about the .0022 coupling cap many times before this thread came along. I have the parts on hand but it's not a pressing issue. Already have a fair idea what it would sound like. When I feel like it I might give them a try.

1poorplayer
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby 1poorplayer » 19 May 2011, 22:03

Hey Beck ,
just fooling with the smiles. ( and curious about Steve's mod )
Hey Surf,
You're probably right about waiting. I really dig the amp "stock". BUT , if I try to go more high gain with the amp ( Ratt , some VH ) - and I crank the Detail to get me there , I need more Body to compensate.

Well , the Detail cranked can get kind of thin on top. The Body turned up much ( when trying to even out a lot of Detail ) ,
seems to add more "flubbery" lows. So , ultimately I end up turning the Detail back down to a level where less body is needed.
Don't know if that makes much sense to anyone. Still love the amp though. I WILL say my beard is coming in grey since the promise of clips and a review of this mod. :)

yngzaklynch
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby yngzaklynch » 20 May 2011, 13:28

Just got the call that it's done. I have to go pick it up. I am the first to fire it up so let's hope I don't see smoke :ball kick I'll let you guys know how it is in a few hours.

Jim

Onza_Jk
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Onza_Jk » 20 May 2011, 14:33

yngzaklynch wrote:Just got the call that it's done. I have to go pick it up. I am the first to fire it up so let's hope I don't see smoke :ball kick I'll let you guys know how it is in a few hours.

Jim
Nice one man, can't wait to hear about it!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Midtown Custom, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster.
Amps: Marshall Vintage Modern, Marshall JTM Offset, Vox AC15.
Past Marshalls: 1987x, JVM410H, SL5, JMP1, 1960AX, 1936.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”