Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

John Lennon...8/12/1980...great lost for the (Music-)world

Postby Vinny » 08 Dec 2010, 02:46

Already 30 years that the John left us! Shot by a crazy guy...ironic dead for someone who stood up for world peace!
His legacy in music and life is still present,we still miss you and will never forget you...

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: John Lennon...8/12/1980...great lost for the (Music-)wor

Postby Wildone » 08 Dec 2010, 08:13

I for one don't miss him or his commie political BS. I thought he was a fool. His world peace rhetoric was filled with illusions and lies, basically made an ass out of himself as his lack of reality shined through his words. The guy gave the world a great voice when he sang and gave us some memorible songs.

Other then that he was a freak and a asshole IMO. There I said it.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Vinny » 08 Dec 2010, 08:53

wildone wrote:I for one don't miss him or his commie political BS. I thought he was a fool. His world peace rhetoric was filled with illusions and lies, basically made an ass out of himself as his lack of reality shined through his words. The guy gave the world a great voice when he sang and gave us some memorible songs.

Other then that he was a freak and a asshole IMO. There I said it.
Man,freedom of speach is and should be UNIVERSAL,but...please, talk with a little bit more respect about John Lennon! This topic was ment for people who actually liked the guy! The purpose was NOT to launch a discussion about him, just to remember that awfull day that Chapman killed him without ANY reason! If I wanted to start a discussion I would have set this in Bar and Grill, but hey, this is ONLY an ANNOUNCEMENT. Please if you think he is an ashole, maybe it was better and more respectful to keep this BS for yourself...
But,like I said, freedom of speech...
:beerme

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 08 Dec 2010, 09:03

I apoligize, but to me he should no more be celebrated then other people who have come to my country to mock it. What did John ever do as a man to deserve respect, further world peace.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Dec 2010, 11:34

Wow that event was 30 years ago already? Did they ever let that guy out of jail? Not going to speak ill of the dead, FWIW I think even less of Paul McCartney. John was the driving force of the Beatles and had a decent solo career but Paul is the one that really had the most success.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Vinny » 08 Dec 2010, 13:25

wildone wrote:I apoligize, but to me he should no more be celebrated then other people who have come to my country to mock it. What did John ever do as a man to deserve respect, further world peace.
World peace is enough! And of course, Wildone, EVERYBODY should deserve respect,even the non-famous people like us! IF everybody should respect each other,there would be NO problem! Imagine...
surfnorthwest wrote:Wow that event was 30 years ago already? Did they ever let that guy out of jail? Not going to speak ill of the dead, FWIW I think even less of Paul McCartney. John was the driving force of the Beatles and had a decent solo career but Paul is the one that really had the most success.
Paul had the most succes,but...he is still alive and so he had 30 years more time to get succes! I will not talk bad about Paul,because as a member of the legendary Beatles he is an Icon imo, but the succes that Paul has is mostly based on the legacy of the Beatles! I saw Paul on concert a few times and the half of the concert were....Beatles songs,same for Ringo! John, IMO has the most succes with his OWN stuff! But,hey, like you noticed,I like Lennon alot,so I can't be objective!

Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 18 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Dave W » 08 Dec 2010, 17:06

wildone wrote:I apoligize, but to me he should no more be celebrated then other people who have come to my country to mock it. What did John ever do as a man to deserve respect, further world peace.

He is not my hero and I think he was an imperfect man, like the rest of us. As far as what as a man did he ever do to deserve respect.....
-He chose to show the world his love for his woman no matter what amount of flack he recieved in a time when that was not the norm. In essence he chose to take the risk of putting his wife above his career, something that many strive for today and did not back then.
-In his solo work he chose to write what he felt and thought not just make fluff for record sales like many established artists and possibly his former band member.
-He fucked up with raising his 1st son and tried to do it better with his second, he chose to grow as a father. He gave up public life from 1975-1980 to focus on his family.
-With his 1st solo album, "Plastic Ono band", he he made anti pop, un-Beatle, introspective songs that vocally and musically were simple and brilliant anjd raw. Some of those songs cut deep to real issues of pain. He had enough balls do deal with his own deep issues and made an example for those who listened to consider dealing with their own crap/demons. Leading by example, paving the way.
-He questioned authority. He also dealt with the fact that the CIA wanted him out of the country.
-He was flawed and admitted it.
-He felt love was important. He would also speak his mind in interviews and call out bullshit despite if it made him unpopular.
-He dealt with the crazy shit and hate from overeactive overzealous ignorant Christians at that time who burned records and held demonstations against him etc. about his off the cuff comment about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus which was misunderstood.
-He posed the questions that at least put it in peoples minds that there are alteratives to war and hate and to consider them.
-He spent the last night of his life laying down tracks like ....."I'm loosing you"...."Woman"..."Whatching the wheels go round" and "Beautifull Boy". Came home after the sessions and was kind enough to stop and sign an autograph for someone waiting outside his apartment and for no good reason took 2 to the fuckin chest.

He was not perfect, but he does have my respect as a man.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 08 Dec 2010, 17:55

I am a big Beatles fan & for the music he gave us he deserves my respect as a musician.
I think his politics was very misguided but I do believe he meant well. I try not to judge the people I respect as musicians by the politics they hold. Hell, I like Rage Against the Machine and their political stance (and lyrics in most cases) go against everything I believe.

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Slash1337 » 08 Dec 2010, 18:01

Lets not forget Dime Bag! He died on this day as well!

Both legends gone. Both put a stamp in music that will never be lost.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Epiphone Elitist LP Custom
Marshall 1960TV w/ G12H Greenbacks
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

http://www.facebook.com/Deadrivalsofficial

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Dec 2010, 18:06

You know both Dave and Slow make some good points.

My take is when the musician crosses the line of mixing the politics into the music then to me it is no longer music for the masses but rather just another way to amplify the political message and its fair game. Yes guys like Springsteen, Rage, Neil Young, Bono, Ted, John Mellencamp, and many others have crossed that line. At that point the it is fair to judge the man and the music as one.

I hear what Wildone is saying to the extent that John said some pretty stupid things and made some claims against the USA that were in bad taste.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Roadhouse Announcements”