Moderator: longfxukxnhair

revrandfaze
Resident Reverend
Resident Reverend
Has Liked: 139 times
Been liked: 99 times

Marshall and a Fender

Postby revrandfaze » 13 Dec 2017, 13:21

A wise man told me along time ago just get a Fender and a Marshall and a Strat and a les Paul and your good to go.
I did have a few les pauls and came to the realization that I am just a strat guy through and through.
I just prefer single coils. But anyway this is what Im working with.

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1946 times
Been liked: 1816 times

Re: Marshall and a Fender

Postby Anitoli » 13 Dec 2017, 21:02

Nice setups. Do you think there is any tonal difference on a Strat with an upside down headstock? I know you have prolly owned both types and i have heard people say there is so is there any truth in this?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 3325 times
Been liked: 5485 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 14 Dec 2017, 05:29

Beautiful! All the right tools, the rest is up to you.

Have a great Christmas with the family!
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast'

revrandfaze
Resident Reverend
Resident Reverend

Postby revrandfaze » 14 Dec 2017, 10:10

surfnorthwest wrote:Beautiful! All the right tools, the rest is up to you.

Have a great Christmas with the family!

You too thank you Surf!

revrandfaze
Resident Reverend
Resident Reverend

Postby revrandfaze » 14 Dec 2017, 10:34

Anitoli wrote:Nice setups. Do you think there is any tonal difference on a Strat with an upside down headstock? I know you have prolly owned both types and i have heard people say there is so is there any truth in this?

Thanks Anitol There are subtle differences mainly because of the tension on the order of the strings being different. Some also feel as though the larger headstock sustains better.
Im not sure about all that either but the main difference is in the bridge pick up being reversed.
Not all guitars with upside down necks have the bridge pick up angled in reverse but the Hendrix Voodoo strats where made like this. Thats what mine are.
Also the newer Hendrix strats that are made in mexico also have the reversed bridge pick up. With the staggered pole pieces and the reverse bridge pick up you get a slightly tighter bass response. Its subtle but you can hear it.
These guitars where created to try and immulate Jimis tone which we all know was mainly in his hands and playing style. But as far as what they where trying to achieve its all based on him playing and upside down Strat.
I had one of the woodstock strats that they came out with in 1997 and it was a left handed guitar strung righty it sounded pretty darn close to jimi's tone about as close as you could get minus his gifted talent.
But it was real challenging to play. You would have to tune down a half step because getting down to those lower parts of the guitar you get cut off because the neck runs out.
Plus you also have the volume and tone nobs in the way. Playing that guitar for the year or two really made me appreciate how good jimi really was.
The craziest thing was when I would play it I would sometimes hit my volume or tone knobs and it would create tone changes that I wasn't planning on.
Im not sure if this is something Jimi experienced but It was something I thought about. But anyway Thats why fender came up with these other more user friendly Hendrix Strats.
This is something I found that explains it all better then I ever could hope this helps..

By stringing a right-handed guitar lefty, Hendrix’s tone was further tweaked in a variety of ways, including:

the inversion of the string lengths behind the nut, which could alter the sustain.
the reversal of the bridge-pickup angle, which according to Fender produces a tighter, warmer tone with enhanced upper harmonics and definition.
Hendrix’s guitars also had staggered pickup poles; by reversing the order of the strings, Jimi altered the pickups’ harmonic structure, contributing further to his unique sound, Fender said.

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1946 times
Been liked: 1816 times

Postby Anitoli » 14 Dec 2017, 10:53

I never noticed that the pickup was reversed. Thanks for the info.

ClarenceJo
<25
<25

Postby ClarenceJo » 07 Jan 2018, 05:49

Love your setup, Rev. Both look awesome, but I'm really digging that Marshal. Which one do you prefer out of those two?

gainaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 333 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby gainaddict » 08 Jan 2018, 02:20

Beautiful-classic amps.
Axe Fx ii XL+
JVM 410H + 1936 cab (w/V30s)

Return to “Roadhouse Photo Gallery”