Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1826 times
Been liked: 1656 times

JJ ECC803s High Performance

Postby Anitoli » 12 May 2017, 19:03

High Performance JJ's, further proving what i have known all along that High Performance the other JJ's were not. :bgrin

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/jj-e ... acuum-tube

Roger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 892 times
Been liked: 295 times

Re: JJ ECC803s High Performance

Postby Roger » 13 May 2017, 03:44

Long time you can find this jj model in europe. I have never tasted it. :dunno
:whatever. SORRY for english level
MARSHALL:TSL100/6100LM/JCM900 MKIII 50w/VM2466/JVM1H/
Lead12 5005(moded)
Lead 1960A/1965A/Vintage 1936/Lead 1936
Blackheart BH15H(moded) 7W-15W
Madamp J5MK1(moded 5W-10W)
Arial 4X12 60W
Peavey XRD680
:Cheers

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Anitoli » 13 May 2017, 06:03

Honestly what drives me nuts about some of this shit is the product description states:

The construction is different from the JJ ECC83 in that the plates are more conventional, but have a special heat dissipating fin that serves to improve efficiency and gain

In order for a vacuum tube to work it HAS to be hot!!! And preamp tubes under normal conditions will never get hot enough to suffer any degradation in the signal transfer. Snake oil from JJ.

Imo tubes actually sound better if you let them cook. Case in point, i got really trashed one night and did not shut my amp off. It was ready to roll standby off. It stayed like that for at least 14 hours when i finally went downstairs and noticed it was still on. I picked up my guitar and switched it to channel 3 and the tone was insane. It was the epitomy of warm tube tone.

jeffsmusic4919
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 57 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 13 May 2017, 10:17

Honestly what drives me nuts about some of this shit is the product description states:

The construction is different from the JJ ECC83 in that the plates are more conventional, but have a special heat dissipating fin that serves to improve efficiency and gain

In order for a vacuum tube to work it HAS to be hot!!! And preamp tubes under normal conditions will never get hot enough to suffer any degradation in the signal transfer. Snake oil from JJ.

Imo tubes actually sound better if you let them cook. Case in point, i got really trashed one night and did not shut my amp off. It was ready to roll standby off. It stayed like that for at least 14 hours when i finally went downstairs and noticed it was still on. I picked up my guitar and switched it to channel 3 and the tone was insane. It was the epitomy of warm tube tone.

While I agree with the above statement, I think the coating is the to keep the tube from over heating due to its larger than normal plate structure, just a guess though. :think I use this tube is the phase inverter section of the 6100LM and it is a really good tube. It blows those crap short plate JJ's out of the water.

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Anitoli » 13 May 2017, 22:06

But JJ states it has a "fin" not coating so the shape of the plate dissipates heat? Maybe. But where does it go to? These things have been on the market for a while and i can't say with any certainty if they actually do what the maker claims they do.

http://partsconnexion.com/tube_cool_pearl.html

The notion that tubes sound better/last longer when cooled seems to me an oxymoron considering the part itself has to be hot to work. And physical temperature should not be confused with the term "hot" when referencing bias settings. Two different things.

jeffsmusic4919
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 57 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby jeffsmusic4919 » 30 May 2017, 17:49

But JJ states it has a "fin" not coating so the shape of the plate dissipates heat? Maybe. But where does it go to? These things have been on the market for a while and i can't say with any certainty if they actually do what the maker claims they do.

There is a good bit of snake oil in some tube sellers things such as cryo tubes etc. The current production tubes I have tried only a few sound more than just subtly different than others. To me it is worth the rolling though.
The notion that tubes sound better/last longer when cooled seems to me an oxymoron considering the part itself has to be hot to work. And physical temperature should not be confused with the term "hot" when referencing bias settings. Two different things.

I am assuming these are for amps where the tubes are actually over heating inside an enclosure. They just happen to work well for dampening vibrations in combo amps due to the crap tubes that aren't weeded out at the factory now a days. Not being educated as you are in matters such as this, some might be lead a stray. I am so glad the folks at this forum don't have bitch fights about this stuff. Common sense and level headed discussion rules the day.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”