Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Northern Electric 12AX7

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Jun 2013, 20:04

Made in Canada and about $56 per tube. Reviews all suggest that these are the only modern replacement for NOS glass such as old Mullards, Bugle Boy, Amprex.

I don't mind spending money on good tubes but I have been burned of late even from reputable dealers on NOS glass.

Anyone try these yet?

Northern Electric had a rich history of producing high quality audio products and vacuum tubes in Canada. We are now re-introducing this classic brand and bringing to you the highest quality tubes possible.

The Northern Electric 12AX7 is made with the highest quality materials. From the glass bottle to the gold plated pins, everything is designed to give you unsurpassed audio quality. This tube has very large smooth plates. This design is much like a Telefunken 12AX7 / ECC83 smooth plate but a bit shorter. This design provides plenty of gain while maintaining an extremely low noise floor. It has been torture tested in a JTM 45, a Deluxe Reverb, an Orange 50 watt combo, and Bandmaster Reverb, with no failures or noise problems after hundreds of hours in clubs and studios. It doesn’t matter if you use an American or British design, this tube works.

In our listening tests it was easy to hear that the tube did not change the voice of the amplifier as some preamp tubes do. The Northern Electric enhances the sound across the entire spectrum. Our testers have reported no noticeable spikes or weakness in the lows, mids, or high end. The highs are very smooth with a balanced midrange response and warm, full bottom end.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

P A U L
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 989 times
Been liked: 753 times

Re: Northern Electric 12AX7

Postby P A U L » 18 Jun 2013, 20:13

Marty @ the MF says they are actually Chinese...

http://www.marshallforum.com/tone-zone/ ... post402572

Still, the (few) reviews say they are great tubes. Seems people are liking Chinese tubes more & more these days especially over anything New Sensor.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Jun 2013, 20:18

Maybe I can start my own tube factory right here in the USA and start making quality glass like they used to.

Oh shit, nevermind. We didn't have the EPA back then. No wonder that went to China too :computer
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

P A U L
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 989 times
Been liked: 753 times

Postby P A U L » 18 Jun 2013, 20:25

Have you tried TADs?

They are German, via China.

michael_dba
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 109 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby michael_dba » 22 Jun 2013, 13:30

P A U L wrote:Marty @ the MF says they are actually Chinese...

http://www.marshallforum.com/tone-zone/ ... post402572

Still, the (few) reviews say they are great tubes. Seems people are liking Chinese tubes more & more these days especially over anything New Sensor.
Pretty slimey advertising pushing the Canadian brand....I guess its no different than the Russians buying the old Mullard and Tungsol brands.

At least they admit:
"All of the design and production is overseen by a living legend in tube design, Zhe Shen Liu."

But the Chinese tubes are getting better...rivaling the Russians now.

The Shuguang KT66's are very good.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Marshall 2266
Marshall '78 JMP 50 2204's head and combo
Marshall Class 5
Marshall clone PTP amps - 1987, 1959SL
Gretsch Malcolm Young Signature Double Jet
Fender USA Lonestar Stratocaster
...too much other stuff
"Malcolm is a genius!"

drgordonfreeman
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby drgordonfreeman » 22 Jun 2013, 19:01

LOL@ talking about "rich Canadian history" of producing audio products, when the tubes are actually Chinese. Strong b.s. advertising right there.

I wish the major amplifier producers would for a cooperative and start producing Western made tubes again. They could onshore it, much like how many American companies are bringing manufacturing back, due to the ever sinking standard of living here in the U.S.

leewaun
<25
<25
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby leewaun » 29 Jun 2013, 15:25

I thought of buying it but when I realized it is chinese made and is 60 dollars I decided I would rather buy NOS for that much money.

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 29 Jun 2013, 16:12

Snake oil...the way I understand it is all tubes today come out of two factory's. One in China and one in Russia.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 2688 times

Postby Anitoli » 21 Jul 2013, 13:46

Of all the tubes ive used in my 6100 never have i had a
Chinese tube fail. They got old, the sound went south, but they always worked. Even in the PI with 320vdc on the plates. Work for years. Cant say the same thing about the other brands.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”