Moderator: longfxukxnhair

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Amps by Richie Fliegler

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 31 Aug 2008, 14:49

There is a cool, albeit thin, book entitled Amps by Richie Fliegler (ISBN 0793524113) that was published by Hal Leonard. It gives a good, brief explanation of how tube amps work. It also gives a brief history of how various companies came into being and addresses some specific models. Brands like: Marshall, Park, Fender, Gibson, Vox, Ampeg, Sunn, Mesa Boogie, Soldano, Matchless, Gretsch, Rivera, Orange, Custom, etc. It has lots of pictures that will give you a big, rubbery one. There is also a chapter on vintage vs. re-issue.

Page 93 features a picture of two, vintage, purple Marshall half stacks. Personally, I think the twilight color of the vintage modern is cooler. I also think the twilight color emphasizes the something old, something new character of the vintage modern.

Check it out.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

Deputy Dawg
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Deputy Dawg » 13 Sep 2008, 19:56

Guys and dolls,

The best tube amp book I have ever read/purchased is called "The Guitar Amp Handbook: Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds" by Dave Hunter. He goes into great details here... signal chain thru an amp... discussion of the inner workings of great classic amps - including internal photos. He covers speakers, tubes, cabinets.... great book for those affected by GAS and here is a link to what it's all about:

I highly recomend this book. It is easy reading too. Dave keeps what could become a very dry, technical subject light and interesting.

Kudos to Dave Hunter....

Deputy Dawg
Tone is a subjective thing, and a subject I love talking about...

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”