Running a valve amp without any speaker connected???

Information and suggestions on vales and Vacuum Tubes

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

barkfield
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Running a valve amp without any speaker connected???

Postby barkfield » 01 Oct 2008, 04:51

Can someone (probably SteveD) help me with a question I've never found the answer to? I'm an electronics engineer as well as a guitarist so I understand valve circuitry quite well but I've never worked this one out because I've never had to do design.

Given that the manuals always say "do not switch the amplifier on without speakers connected" and it's generally accepted that you will do damage if you do run your amp without a load (speakers, hot plate, powerbrake, etc), I have a couple of questions.

1) what will get damaged? - valves, transformer, output capacitors, what????

2) at what settings do you have to run to do the damage?

3) how long do you have to run the amp without a load to do damage? e.g. like most people will have done at some time, if you've accidentally switched the amp on for 10 minutes before plugging your guitar in and realising you've not connected the speakers will you do any damage?
Confuscious say "Guitarist who buys all the signature gear of their favourite artist will still sound like themselves"

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 01 Oct 2008, 05:18

Steve can probably fill you in on the details, but I believe you can pretty much blow up the output tranny.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 01 Oct 2008, 16:06

I believe Steve has stated that if there is no signal going through the amp (i.e. you're not playing through it) it will probably not do any damage.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 02 Oct 2008, 01:06

If the output transformer is unloaded when a signal is injected into it's primary, there can be transient spikes of a few thousand volts generated in the secondary that will quite easily blow a hole in the insulation between the windings.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”