some interesting info about valves
http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby teddy07x » 07 Dec 2008, 06:36

very interesting indeed. Steve should chime in and enlighten us on this subject.

What I'm wondering is, is tube build quality and sound quality parallel?
I wouldn't say soon is the word. Axl Rose

"When asked about his son’s failures, the elder Bush said, “You can go back to your, what do you call it, your Google, and you figure out all that." G.H.W Bush

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 07 Dec 2008, 14:29

I'd love to get my hands on those old KT66s and find out 8)

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 07 Dec 2008, 18:38

teddy07x wrote: What I'm wondering is, is tube build quality and sound quality parallel?
Usually it is. The tubes regarded as superior tonewise were made by US and UK suppliers back when tubes were the primary signal technology, and before the environmental laws stopped the use of many noxious chemicals and materials needed for good manufacture. I've heard the high quality metals needed for vacuum tube plates haven't been available for many years also. I haven't heard of many good sounding NOS tubes that didn't last a long time as well.

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby teddy07x » 08 Dec 2008, 06:00

MKB wrote:
teddy07x wrote: What I'm wondering is, is tube build quality and sound quality parallel?
Usually it is. The tubes regarded as superior tonewise were made by US and UK suppliers back when tubes were the primary signal technology, and before the environmental laws stopped the use of many noxious chemicals and materials needed for good manufacture. I've heard the high quality metals needed for vacuum tube plates haven't been available for many years also. I haven't heard of many good sounding NOS tubes that didn't last a long time as well.
do you think investing in expensive NOS tubes will improve sound? :)

"When asked about his son’s failures, the elder Bush said, “You can go back to your, what do you call it, your Google, and you figure out all that." G.H.W Bush

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 08 Dec 2008, 08:07

teddy07x wrote:
The consensus on this seems to be yes, but the question is by how much and does the investment make sense to you. The VM sounds excellent with the stock tubes, and there are many threads on this board where individuals have tried NOS tubes with success. I personally have tried only one replacement, put a NOS RCA 7025 in V4, and I think it helped the tone quite a bit (the distortion is clearer and more detailed). Steve said in an earlier post ( http://vintagemodern.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=2275 ) that there was a difference using NOS GEC KT66's in place of the stock ones, but that is mighty big money to run that test.

Something else to keep in mind is that Steve probably built and voiced the VM to use the currently available tubes, so there is a possibility that a NOS tube might make the amp sound worse. I haven't experienced this first-hand in a VM, but have heard this in other amps.

As a good cheap source for old stock tubes for experimenting, I'd suggest you look for old tube equipment at hamfests and local surplus shops. As an example, old Dynaco tube stereos used Telefunken smooth plate ECC83's as private branded preamp tubes, and Mullard EL34's as power tubes. Most any old equipment will have good tubes in them. I found an old power supply at a hamfest (for $10) with six pristine Telefunken ECC83's in it. I replaced the Teles with Chinese 12AX7's, and the power supply works perfectly. And the tubes indeed sound good. Another source is local engineering colleges, they often have donated equipment lying around with good old tubes in them.

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby teddy07x » 08 Dec 2008, 08:33

MKB wrote:
teddy07x wrote:
The consensus on this seems to be yes, but the question is by how much and does the investment make sense to you. The VM sounds excellent with the stock tubes, and there are many threads on this board where individuals have tried NOS tubes with success. I personally have tried only one replacement, put a NOS RCA 7025 in V4, and I think it helped the tone quite a bit (the distortion is clearer and more detailed). Steve said in an earlier post ( http://vintagemodern.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=2275 ) that there was a difference using NOS GEC KT66's in place of the stock ones, but that is mighty big money to run that test.

Something else to keep in mind is that Steve probably built and voiced the VM to use the currently available tubes, so there is a possibility that a NOS tube might make the amp sound worse. I haven't experienced this first-hand in a VM, but have heard this in other amps.

As a good cheap source for old stock tubes for experimenting, I'd suggest you look for old tube equipment at hamfests and local surplus shops. As an example, old Dynaco tube stereos used Telefunken smooth plate ECC83's as private branded preamp tubes, and Mullard EL34's as power tubes. Most any old equipment will have good tubes in them. I found an old power supply at a hamfest (for $10) with six pristine Telefunken ECC83's in it. I replaced the Teles with Chinese 12AX7's, and the power supply works perfectly. And the tubes indeed sound good. Another source is local engineering colleges, they often have donated equipment lying around with good old tubes in them.
hmm....

well Steve didn't really elaborate on that too much. :)

I'm tempted to try it.... but 600 bucks for a pair of GEC KT66 is some money! :)

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”