Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

NOS RFT Tubes

Postby surfnorthwest » 21 Apr 2009, 11:00

Been watching for awhile for some NOS RFT's to come availible, these tubes are killer in plexi type amps if you want a darker sound. I wouldn't use them in the VM but I got them for my new 50 watt 72 JMP50 clone being built. Heck of a good buy at $28 each for these unused tubes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0300067249

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: NOS RFT Tubes

Postby HappyBlues » 22 May 2009, 00:03

They were made about 100km from where I live. They are not russian. You can see "Made in Czechoslovakia" on the box... That was a state formed of today Czech and Slovakia. Former Soviet Union. Nowadays JJ Electronics makes tubes on some of machines from that factory. But they claim themselves they cannot make such a quality tubes otherwise they'll be too pricey and noone would buy them.

I knew a guy who had a bunchload of those. Prolly hundred or more. He worked in old Tesla fabrique. But he wouldn't sell them. And I wouldn't bother to buy them from him. He would rip off his grandmother with peace of mind.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 May 2009, 05:37

They are a great tube, high gain for sure and very articulate.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby HappyBlues » 22 May 2009, 05:54

after fall of soviet union there were demolished quantities like ten's of train wagons full of tesla tubes. now if anyone was an asshole, the guy who did it was.
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 22 May 2009, 08:05

freesun wrote:after fall of soviet union there were demolished quantities like ten's of train wagons full of tesla tubes. now if anyone was an asshole, the guy who did it was.
:wtf
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 23 May 2009, 18:46

well at the time they werent NOS obviously they wer just N and at the time transister technology would have been advancing electronics so even if the person/people knew what it was they were destroyin then they prob wudn have known how valueable they would come to be!! im sure there was a time where some even thought tubes would become worthless!! as far as electronics in computers and such!

but still....that sucks!!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 23 May 2009, 18:50

surfnorthwest wrote: Image
haha i just noticed...the diagram on the sides of the boxes, arent they the schematics for pentodes? even tho ecc83 are triodes!!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 May 2009, 13:38

haha i just noticed...the diagram on the sides of the boxes, arent they the schematics for pentodes? even tho ecc83 are triodes!!
Heck I don't know, all I know is they are some very nice sounding tubes. I was playing with them in my Metro 100w 69 Superlead switching the RFT with the Halo Getter Mullard that is currently in there, and while the tone does change to more high gain with the RFT I prefered the Mullards in it.

Now in my 72 JMP 50 clone from Granger the RFTs are bad ass, they are paired with a set of JJ KT77s and this amp is instant brown sound without question. Like I said they are very articulate like a Mullard but has more gain for sure.

If they are Triode or a Pentode I don't know since I never learned the difference, I only understand that one has more active electrodes than the other. How would I tell?? Here are a couple of pics of some extras I bought for the future.
IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3041.JPG (91.01 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3042.JPG (79.38 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
IMG_3044.JPG
IMG_3044.JPG (77.7 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG (68.8 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG (79.02 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
IMG_3048.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG (81.55 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG (79.05 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG (70 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 25 May 2009, 16:30

surfnorthwest wrote:
Heck I don't know, all I know is they are some very nice sounding tubes.
If they are Triode or a Pentode I don't know since I never learned the difference, I only understand that one has more active electrodes than the other. How would I tell??
well the schematic on the box is a pentode but is prob just art work!! i was only pointin out that it has no relation to the actual tube. i didn mean you have the wrong type or anytin! cos they wouldnt work!!

an Ecc83/12ax7 is a dual triode (two triodes in one package) a triode is so called cos it has three active electrodes; cathode, anode and grid. pentode is so called cos it has 5 active electrodes. cathode, anode, grid, screen and suppressor.

ya wont need this info but it might be interesting.
12ax7/ecc83 - Dual triode
12au7/ecc82 - Dual triode
12at7/ecc81 - Dual triode
El34 - Pentode
6l6 - beam tetrode
kt66 - beam tetrode

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 May 2009, 19:28

OK once again you are the smart guy around here :Thumbs Kind of freaked me out a bit as I did not know what you were saying in the original post. All I know is the tube seller I bought them from came recommended from some guys at the Metro board as the one to get new RFTs from. I am so careful anymore when I buy these old NOS tubes because of all the scam artist out there.

I have not tried the RFTs in my VM because once again the way it sounds now I just don't want to change anything with it, I have a early Robin Trower tone simply nailed with this amp and my effects and the tone is killer. I will post a track in a couple of days I am almost finished with so you can see what I mean.

Also when I get some time next weekend I will take some shots of my new 50 watt plexi I just got from Granger along with a few clips. That one has the RFTs in it. :pimp
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby HappyBlues » 26 May 2009, 03:02

As some ppl might find it funny and/or interestine this is what writing on the tube box says:
"Tesla Roznov n.p." (company) in "Roznov pod Radhostem" (city) gives a warranty on tubes for a customer, that product won't change it's electrical properties, set by technical conditions for 12 months from the sales day. Malfunctions, that are not from production (burnt wires or other components, overload, mechanical damage, etc.) are not part of warranty. Warranty is to be applied in sales organisation with this box and treasury check, where has to be the part number and date of sale.

bad old comunist times :)

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 26 May 2009, 07:21

surfnorthwest wrote:OK once again you are the smart guy around here :Thumbs Kind of freaked me out a bit as I did not know what you were saying in the original post. All I know is the tube seller I bought them from came recommended from some guys at the Metro board as the one to get new RFTs from. I am so careful anymore when I buy these old NOS tubes because of all the scam artist out there.

Also when I get some time next weekend I will take some shots of my new 50 watt plexi I just got from Granger along with a few clips. That one has the RFTs in it. :pimp
Oops! sorry for freakin ya out surf!! :beerme i shudv been clear on it that i was just amused by it!! :Bounce

thats true....can never be too careful!! and if im ever in the market for some of those il prob need yer advice!!

You got the 72 JMP??? :woot :woot how is it?? had much time to give er a blast?? cant wait ta hear that!! that vid with all the van halen clips sounded fuckin awsome!! from the whole site i picked that and the E35 as my favourites!! and i cant believe the prices compared to metro amp!!

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 26 May 2009, 07:25

freesun wrote:As some ppl might find it funny and/or interestine this is what writing on the tube box says:
"Tesla Roznov n.p." (company) in "Roznov pod Radhostem" (city) gives a warranty on tubes for a customer, that product won't change it's electrical properties, set by technical conditions for 12 months from the sales day. Malfunctions, that are not from production (burnt wires or other components, overload, mechanical damage, etc.) are not part of warranty. Warranty is to be applied in sales organisation with this box and treasury check, where has to be the part number and date of sale.

bad old comunist times :)
thats cool!! i think its cool when people can speak more than one language!! i can only speak english... :doh but i know some french and some russian. i could hold conversation in french and maybe for a little while in russian! i started learnin russian last september but then started back to college so didnt have time after that!! maybe il get back to it this summer!!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 May 2009, 08:15

Good information Freesun, and to think a cowboy conservitve such as myself would by old communist tubes :eek

Well it doesn't matter because they sound great and am happy I was able to secure a few for the future.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 May 2009, 08:23

Hey dean not only are his prices great but his build are top shelf. This 50 watt plexi is the real deal and out of the box it has killer plexi tone. Curt is also fantastic to work with, he keeps you up to date on your build and takes the time to let you know options you can do. The real impressive thing on this build is how well the Master volume works and the transformer he used.

Again I will post some pics this weekend.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”