Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

12AX7...Standard vs Gold Pin?

Postby Green Manalishi » 16 May 2009, 23:25

In you experience, what difference does the Gold versions make in sound?

JJ, Tung-Sol, E-H, etc. offer Gold Pin, worth it?
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: 12AX7...Standard vs Gold Pin?

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 May 2009, 07:28

JJ, Tung-Sol, E-H, etc. offer Gold Pin, worth it
They are simply claimed to be lower noise, in my experience I cannot tell so I am not sure that the 70% increase in cost is at all worth it. Perhaps in high end audio equipment or in condenser mics but in guitar amps I don't think so.

For the past couple of years tubes have really gone up in quality, even JJ tubes which I used to hate have got much better.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 21 May 2009, 09:03

C'mon Surf, it's all about corrosion resistance :lick me

all kinding aside. I have a gold pin JJ around here somewhere, went in 2 different amps, I could not hear even the slightest difference between the gold and regular. I kinda got pissed for being a dumbass and paying that much for basically a plain ole' JJ tube and threw it in the parts box awhile back.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 21 May 2009, 20:04

There is so much BS out there about tubes and so many legends about this NOS or that NOS that people over pay every day for shit they don't need. Yes there are some highly desirable NOS tubes but you have to knwo which ones they are and how to avoid counterfit. Perhaps those gold pins are less prone to corosion but I am not pissing on my amps so WTF.

Also like I said before, the quality in tubes has come way up in the past couple of years. Many tubes coming from the Shuguang factory are very good.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 22 May 2009, 12:41

surfnorthwest wrote:There is so much BS out there about tubes and so many legends about this NOS or that NOS that people over pay every day for shit they don't need. Yes there are some highly desirable NOS tubes but you have to knwo which ones they are and how to avoid counterfit. Perhaps those gold pins are less prone to corosion but I am not pissing on my amps so WTF.

Also like I said before, the quality in tubes has come way up in the past couple of years. Many tubes coming from the Shuguang factory are very good.
Agree'd, I only use gold pin tubes when I'm doing gigs on ocean going fuel tankers :deney .
:laugh

I would imagine NOS tubes are a huge step up with older amps that were designed for them. But with modern production amps designed for current production tubes I have yet to see a substantial improvement tonewise to even come close to justifying the costs.

But then again everyone's ears hear things differently.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 22 May 2009, 20:28

lowenzz wrote: I would imagine NOS tubes are a huge step up with older amps that were designed for them. But with modern production amps designed for current production tubes I have yet to see a substantial improvement tonewise to even come close to justifying the costs.

But then again everyone's ears hear things differently.
Thats a good point!! i can see what ya mean! like surf's plexi monstors!!(plural...includes the one on the way!)
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”