surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

New JJ KT66 Tubes

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jun 2009, 18:37

From Bob at Eurotubes

Factory description: Gold plated control grid for improved fidelity. Special plate alloy to improve plate dissipation. This is a hand aligned Beam power tube resulting in stable performance at higher power levels.

My observation: These are a wonderful addition to the JJ line and it's great to finally have a real new production KT66 that has all of the sonic qualities of the original! A very thick and rich sound with lots of harmonic complexity and a wonderfully smooth breakup when driven into saturation. These are killer in the Dr Z RT 66. We have been sending these to Mike at Z for a while now and he loves them! We are also using these in Mesa Dual and Triple Rec's all by themselves and in combination with KT88's and 6L6GC's. We have researched the proper grades to get the bias right where is should be with no bias mod. You can find kits in the online store!

Incase you have heard horror stories about the metal bases being connected to a pin and causing shorts, the culprits are the sovtek KT88 and KT66 tubes. You should all know by now that the fake russian tungsol KT66's are sovtek tubes and yes, the bases can cause shorts. This is NOT the case with the JJ Electronic KT66's and KT88's where the bases are isolated as they should be.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: New JJ KT66 Tubes

Postby slowpokerhino » 07 Jun 2009, 19:30

May have to give these a try.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 09 Jun 2009, 00:50

No beartrap retainer usage if you go with a base like that. Wouldn't probably matter with a head, combo might be a concern though. Can't be that tough to install the old spring style retainers I would imagine.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 09 Jun 2009, 00:54

Surf I thought you hated JJ's stuff. :eek I mean, I thought you really F'n hated JJ's. :think
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 09 Jun 2009, 02:24

Has anybody heard if these are less microphonic than the Chinese KT66's? If so that would be a HUGE help for VM combo owners.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Jun 2009, 08:01

I do hate JJs but I know many other guys like them, I have a bad history with them. I just thought I would post that as a option to replace KT66s. The Valve Arts are my preference.

My new Granger however has JJ KT77s and so far so good. I have not researched as of yet what other options I have for that tube.

My original post was from Bob at Eurotubes not me
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”