Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Elcapitan
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

wrong tubes..

Postby Elcapitan » 26 Jun 2009, 15:43

So last night I got my VM up to band practice level volumes, and was surprised because there was almost no bottom end, and the top end was really shrill and harsh. Hmmmm. So I thought I'd check out the tubes and see how my NOS RCAs might sound in there, and lo and behold, I find Sovtek 6l6WXT+. :scared Probably my least favorite power tube of all time. I'd be pissed but I'm an employee and got the amp for less than cost. I'm thinking the amp was returned after having its tubes switched out, and like many of the noobs at my location do, the other store didn't check the amp. My question is, could this have harmed the amp? Also, would that account for the difference in tone between an amp I remember as being incredibly rich and full and my experience last night?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: wrong tubes..

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Jun 2009, 20:59

My question is, could this have harmed the amp? Also, would that account for the difference in tone between an amp I remember as being incredibly rich and full and my experience last night?
Yes the tone would be much different.

That is messed up. The 6L6 tubes are defenitly not the tubes you want in that amp. Steve D who designed the Vintage Modern is on the forum and should chime in on this one.

Being that the amp is still working I don't think you hurt anything other than those shitty tubes maybe. Get some fresh KT66 tubes in there and have the bias checked.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 27 Jun 2009, 09:35

Elcapitan wrote:So last night I got my VM up to band practice level volumes, and was surprised because there was almost no bottom end, and the top end was really shrill and harsh. Hmmmm. So I thought I'd check out the tubes and see how my NOS RCAs might sound in there, and lo and behold, I find Sovtek 6l6WXT+. :scared Probably my least favorite power tube of all time. I'd be pissed but I'm an employee and got the amp for less than cost. I'm thinking the amp was returned after having its tubes switched out, and like many of the noobs at my location do, the other store didn't check the amp. My question is, could this have harmed the amp? Also, would that account for the difference in tone between an amp I remember as being incredibly rich and full and my experience last night?
Surf has pretty much answered the question.

I have also answered your PM.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Elcapitan
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Elcapitan » 27 Jun 2009, 22:13

Thanks guys. I'm actually returning the head and ordering one factory fresh. Probably a few hundred bucks more, but after a new set of tubes and a rebias, it's probably a wash anyway. Now I'm without, but it's worth it in the long run.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”