Moderator: longfxukxnhair

cadaver_occulta
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bugera 1960 Mod

Postby cadaver_occulta » 29 Jul 2009, 22:58

I've recently acquired 2 Bugera 1960 heads, which sound great! But, I want to modify one, and my initial idea was to put a PTP board (from Ceriatone *prepares self for swift kick in the balls*) but then realised that maybe I would have to change some components to accomodate the 150 watt power section (since the board I have was only meant for 100w). Here's my problem, I have no idea which components to change out or what to change them to (I've modded amps before but never to accomodate more power than the board was meant for) Could anyone here help me with this issue? I've attached (or hope I've attached) Ceriatone's layout for their 100w amp (their JTM100) If one could show me which components to replace, I would be much appreciative! Thanx in adavnce!
~Monsieur Cadavre
Attachments
well...here ya go...
well...here ya go...
I just lost the game!!! :(

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Bugera 1960 Mod

Postby DeanM » 30 Jul 2009, 07:40

I tried to find a schematic for the bugera aswel but couldnt. do you have one? The PT is the first thing i would check. depending on what the PT is putting out you can then work out what changes are needed. could you check the PT and find out what the HT winding is rated for. or even a power transformer model number. cant really help much with out the PT specs.

Does the ceriatone kit come with transformers?
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

Deenohh
<25
<25

Postby Deenohh » 25 Aug 2009, 10:34

I think you will find that like a lot of Behringer built gear the power rating is over rated.
I have had a chance to examine tis model up close and I am pretty sure that the RMS power rating is 100 watts and thats the measure that counts.
Perhaps it can put out a PEAK of 150 watts, but then so could the Marshall. I would not worry too much about putting any excess load on the CeriaTone kits.
This head has the exact same tube layout as the Marshall 100 watt SL head it is based on.

You may also want to consider that by the time you put all the time, effort and money into a Tag board, PTP rebuild of this head you may as well just go ahead and build the full CeriaTone kit. The Bugera head sounds just about as good as a modern era Marshall 1959 head. Bugera's build quality and reliabilty also seems to have come a long way since they started, so you may not find a whole bunch of motivation to tear it apart and rebuild it. Also, you may find the chassis a little lightweight and cramped to stuff a tag board and all the wiring that will go with it, although this is just my observation as I have not tried it.

To answer one other question I saw on your thread, Ceriatone kits come in several differnt levels with & without transformers, tubes ,cabs etc.

Deenohh

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 25 Aug 2009, 18:13

Deenoh,

i watched a few vids on these amps after first readin this thread. one vid said you may be wondering how this head puts out 150watts even tho its only got four power tubes so it must only be putting out 100watts like all the other 4x el34 amps right? and then the guy said well actually this amp uses 4x el34b! and he pulled one of each and compared em and the el34b was much bigger. and the guy explained that they are like a bigger brother or something. so it could well be pushing 150watts.

also just an observation cos iv never played any of these bugera amps.
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 25 Aug 2009, 20:29

Sorry, but why in the hell would anyone want a 150 watt amp?

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 25 Aug 2009, 20:47

slowpokerhino wrote:Sorry, but why in the hell would anyone want a 150 watt amp?
For the cleans that go to "11" :Jerkoff
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

edde
<25
<25

Postby edde » 09 Sep 2011, 15:23

Im also in need of the schematics for the bugera 1960. How did it end up for you?

Its hard to trace the components just by looking at the pcb board because its coated in black. Damn Bugera!

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”