Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Different tubes make much difference

Postby Ghostrider » 14 Aug 2009, 12:11

Both my 2466 heads have completly stock tubes, I am of the school if it not broke don't fix it. Is the Vintage Modern a amp whose voice will change significantly using NOS type preamp tubes? I have a few real good ones (mullards - Brimmer) but don't want to mess with it if it will result in poorer tone. I have found many newer amps that are not P2P wired don't change much with differnt tubes, I just look for one that are low microphonic.
Twin 2466 amps

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Different tubes make much difference

Postby slowpokerhino » 14 Aug 2009, 16:07

I haven't tried any NOS tubes but a few members have and said there wasn't a huge difference.
I did notice a big difference when I retubed my 2466 with Gold Lion Kt66s, Tung Sols in v3 & v4 and JJs in v1 & v2. I originally tried all Tung Sol pre-s but the amp became too bright and harsh for my tastes. The JJs seemed to have smoothed it out and warmed it up. I was happy with stock but I like this combo much better.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 14 Aug 2009, 18:31

Not a big difference with NOS preamp tubes. Output tubes are a little more sensitive to change but I wouldn't put NOS in there either.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Ghostrider » 14 Aug 2009, 20:33

Thank you for responding, I do not think I will mess with the tubes as they are all still very new. I do like the sound I am getting already.

Both 2466 heads I have sound exactly the same and I like it that way so I can keep the setting the same just in case one develops problems. I really don't need both of them but like having the backup and was able to pick up the second one used for a very good price.
Twin 2466 amps

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”