Moderator: longfxukxnhair

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

JJ preamp tubes

Postby HappyBlues » 28 Aug 2009, 01:41

So I bought a set of four JJ ECC83 tubes to use in my 2266c. No tested tubes, just straight out of factory. I thought I am gonna throw out stock marshall tubes as they are except for one in the end of lifetime. One of them far beyond. And my impressions?

Didn't try sound yet, but first two JJ's I installed in V1 & V2 were microphonic. First one quite a lot... I wonder how bad it would go after few hours of playing. The other two I didn't have time to test yet. But I've seen shootout of JJ tubes and really regret not buying tested from some reseller, or better, another brand, because it seems to me I've wasted quite a lot of money. I will test the other two today, with new set of Marshall KT66's and will report. But it seems quite harsh to get at least 50% of tubes microphonic, straight in the country of origin.

I hear what you say Surf, I agree. I've seen the light now. Or more accurately, the dark. :doh
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: JJ preamp tubes

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Aug 2009, 20:04

Yep join the resident JJ hater, I have not liked those tubes for a long time. However in all fairness I must say some of the newer ones I have tried have not been as bad as the past ones, none the less I don't do JJ preamp tubes, Honestly The new TungSol and even the regular Shuguangs are fine just have who you buy them from select the best ones that are low microphonics.

I also have a set of JJ KT77s that came with my 50 watt plexi which were not to bad but I replaces them with some Seimens EL34s
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 29 Aug 2009, 13:04

I ordered new preamp TungSols selected for low microphonics. I also returned JJ's for new. All were microphonic. That sucks period. How can it be so bad???
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Aug 2009, 15:02

The TungSols are a very good tube as are the new Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+, I also have mine selcted for low micophonics but really who knows if the really test them. I usally get my tubes from "Dougs tubes" and they have been good.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”