Myth Busters...

Information and suggestions on vales and Vacuum Tubes

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

GuitarRich
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Myth Busters...

Postby GuitarRich » 02 Jul 2007, 08:56

Steve Dawson wrote:You can have your amp on standby with no load connected, this is perfectly safe. You can also have your amp fully turned on with no load connected as long as there is no signal passing through it ie. guitar plugged in and played by somebody. The potential for damage is when the OP Tx tries to drive signal into an open circuit (no load).
Now thats something I didn't know!! I thought if it was on, that was a bad thing, guitar or no guitar!

CooL!

mety
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby mety » 02 Jul 2007, 15:12

Here's another one...

If you remove the two outside poweramp valves (tubes) from a 100w amplifier, you can use it as a 50w amp.

Over to you Steve :wink:

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 03 Jul 2007, 00:40

mety wrote:Here's another one...

If you remove the two outside poweramp valves (tubes) from a 100w amplifier, you can use it as a 50w amp.

Over to you Steve :wink:
This is definately a NO NO on the 100 Watt Vintage Modern. The HT (B+) on this amp is very high; - approx 530VDC and this is about as high as the KT66s will live happily at. If you remove the two outer or inner output valves the HT rises by about 20V due to less current getting pulled out of the Power Transformer and therefore less loading. The output valves will more than likely arc over causing damage to themselves as well as other components in the power stage.

A 100W amp is designed to be just that. not 50W. Everything is optimised to work together efficiently - output valves, output transformer primary winding etc.

I wouldn't advise anybody to do this to any amp!

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 03 Jul 2007, 00:46

GuitarRich wrote:
Steve Dawson wrote:You can have your amp on standby with no load connected, this is perfectly safe. You can also have your amp fully turned on with no load connected as long as there is no signal passing through it ie. guitar plugged in and played by somebody. The potential for damage is when the OP Tx tries to drive signal into an open circuit (no load).
Now thats something I didn't know!! I thought if it was on, that was a bad thing, guitar or no guitar!

CooL!

It is still not advisable to have no load connected when the amp is fully turned on

GuitarRich

Postby GuitarRich » 03 Jul 2007, 01:17

SteveD wrote:It is still not advisable to have no load connected when the amp is fully turned on
Definitely - but it is nice to know that if you do be stupid (I've nearly done it so many times! lol - don't plug in after a few beers! :oops: ) theres a chance you wont kill your amp if you catch it quick enough!

Twisted Dave

Postby Twisted Dave » 03 Jul 2007, 14:05

GuitarRich wrote:
SteveD wrote:It is still not advisable to have no load connected when the amp is fully turned on
Definitely - but it is nice to know that if you do be stupid (I've nearly done it so many times! lol - don't plug in after a few beers! :oops: ) theres a chance you wont kill your amp if you catch it quick enough!
Good Lord yeah, we've all been there :P I even thought I'd blown my amp once when the speaker cable wasn't in and then I plugged it in to NO sound .... 15 solid minutes of freaking out and then realising I'd accidentally pulled the guitar cable out by about 2 mm too !!!! lol

keiths_marshall

Postby keiths_marshall » 13 Sep 2007, 10:50

GuitarRich wrote:
Yeah, that is cool to know. I was trying out a dsl50 recently and the sales guy pulled out the speaker jack and plugged it into another cab while the amp was still on and I remember thinking what a f@#king idiot :)

VMConvert
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby VMConvert » 01 Oct 2008, 12:36

Atlest youre some one who when confronted with facts against their beliefs actually goes and checks the facts and changes opinion/belief accordingly...there is nothing to be ashamed about that...its those who confronted with truth still choose to believe the alternative.
Republic RP 1 Parlour
2009 Johnson JS-500
2008 Gibson Les Paul--Desertburst
2004 Carlo Robelli ES-500
Silver Creek T-160
Godin 5th Avenue
Orange Crush 10
VM 2266
1965A

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 01 Oct 2008, 16:09

keiths_marshall wrote: Yeah, that is cool to know. I was trying out a dsl50 recently and the sales guy pulled out the speaker jack and plugged it into another cab while the amp was still on and I remember thinking what a f@#king idiot :)
When I was demoing VMs at Guitar Center I tried it through about 4 different cabs. The salesguy did the same thing and I thought the same thing.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”