Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Any KT66s Less Prone To Rattle?

Postby Beck-Ola » 04 Jul 2010, 10:14

So, is there any consensus about which KT66 out there is the most robust in regards to resisting rattling?

That seems to be the only ultimate solution to the Vintage Modern combo rattling issue since it's the tube's fault and not the amp design. It would be great if one of the manufacturers would address this but there will be snow in hell before that happens. I'm still using the Shuguangs although I tried some JJs but those still rattled.

Been plugging into a separate cab for clean stuff. Not really a problem in HDR unless I go real low on the guitar volume to clean it up, then it's audible. Damn tubes. Wish I'd bought the head but a combo seemed like a good idea at the time. :bang
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Any KT66s Less Prone To Rattle?

Postby SteveD » 04 Jul 2010, 12:45

If you plug the combo into a separate cab then there should be no valve rattle at all. :dunno
Still my guitar gently weeps

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Beck-Ola » 04 Jul 2010, 13:39

I agree. That's why I plug into the cab for clean stuff because it's more bothersome in that mode. In fact, I took the G12Cs out of the combo and put them into a 2x12! And I like that too. But it would be nice to not have to do that. I got the combo so I could just lug that baby around in one unit, having used half stacks for many years.

I realize combos are prone to this, especially the more powerful ones. It's understandable that it's a punishing environment, and then the big bottle glass geometry exaggerates that. Still, I was always able to find the right tubes that didn't rattle, e.g., the STR415 6L6 types were pretty good for larger amps. Actually I've had no problem with EL34s or KT77s, but then they're not that wide. Did Eric Clapton have that problem with his Bluesbreaker, I wonder? Maybe that's the reason he went to the big stacks. :laugher Just kidding.

When it matters, I'll probably just need to keep using the cab (unless a better tube comes along). :pray I don't mind that much though.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 18 Jul 2010, 16:44

I had Gold Lions in my combo, at first they did not rattle, but then started too not long after.

They sound good too, smoother and fuller low end than the Shuguangs.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Beck-Ola » 19 Jul 2010, 18:55

Thanks, Manalishi. That's another vote for the Gold Lions. I might give those a try next time around. It seems that they all will eventually start to rattle in this amp.

Here's a question for Steve, just out of curiousity. :Stir I wonder if the situation was presenting itself during the testing of the prototypes? I would guess that the various KT-66 tubes were auditioned while finishing up the amp and that some of them must have rattled. Was it something that was a concern at that point or maybe something to be resolved somehow later, or maybe it was considered the "price one pays for using a combo"? Maybe a hope that some more robust valves would turn up eventually?

The question's not meant to be awkward or cause any discomfort. Merely curious about the philosophy. We need a "kicking a dead horse" smiley. With that question, I will lay off on the issue and not belabor the point. :chill

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”