Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 20 times

Gold Lion KT66 Review

Postby jab » 13 Sep 2010, 06:22

I replaced the stock tubes in my 2266 with Genelex Gold Lions. I recommend them highly. I read a review of the Gold Lion's and someone testing KT66 tubes likened it to having a loudness switch on your amp, similar to a stereo. I think that's a pretty good analogy. It seems everything got boosted in a subtle pleasing way, better lows, smoother sounding, and it seems overall more gain. Perhaps not as aggressive sounding but overall a little "bigger" sounding. I found myself having to play with detail down a notch from the stock tubes as it opens up much sooner. By the same token, as for cleaning up with the guitar volume it's still the same. Although more of everything is on tap I was still able to tailor the tone from clean to dirty as usual. I had been having a little trouble lately getting a great full tone at reasonable volume so that's what got me looking for tubes, and these definitely help. I have my stock tubes as spares now.
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Gold Lion KT66 Review

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Sep 2010, 10:39

I Have not tried those yet myself but all the reviews here have been positive. I am in the camp of if it's not broke don't fix it and currently my quad of Valve Arts are doing great. Good to know though that the market has a good quality KT-66 for purchase.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

TubeStack
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 26 Nov 2010, 20:30

I had my new 2466 retubed a couple of weeks ago. One of the stock KT66s had an internal part that had come loose and was bouncing around inside.

The amp tech put in Genalex Gold Lions - I had asked for Shuguangs but he said that Marshall warranty repairs in Canada use the Gold Lions as they're easier to get. (Whether that's true or not, who knows.)

But, I gotta say, I f*cking LOVE these Gold Lions. They sound absolutely fantastic.

As far as comparing them to the stock Shuguangs, I can't really do so accurately, as there was a 3-week gap between me bringing the amp in and then getting it back. That considered, I don't hear a huge difference between the two and if anything, the Gold Lions might actually sound better. They're just killing me, I love 'em.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 30 Nov 2010, 17:58

I liked them so much in my 2466 that I now run them in my Fender Super Reverb.

TubeStack
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 30 Nov 2010, 18:24

slowpokerhino wrote:I liked them so much in my 2466 that I now run them in my Fender Super Reverb.
Nice. I think they're great tubes, so far.

After two bad sets of Shuguangs in a row (in two brand new 2466s), I'm happy these Gold Lions seem to be working out. They sound amazing and look great, too.

KH Guitar Freak
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Postby KH Guitar Freak » 20 Dec 2010, 09:36

^Funny, cause if I'm not mistakened, don't them Gold Lions cost a lot more than the Shuguangs???

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 21 Dec 2010, 18:27

KH Guitar Freak wrote:^Funny, cause if I'm not mistakened, don't them Gold Lions cost a lot more than the Shuguangs???
...and worth every penny.

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”