Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Doc Holliday
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 107 times
Been liked: 469 times

Anybody had any experience with these baby's? EI-12AX7E

Postby Doc Holliday » 14 Jul 2011, 11:40

Hey. Has anybody had any experience with these...

http://www.tubedepot.com/ei-12ax7eg.html

I'm looking to put one in my V2 position on the YJM. I know EI's are subject to Microphonic problems and can be inconsistent from tube to tube but with these being the specially selected ones I thought they would be a good choice.
I have an EI in my DSL so i'm familiar with the sound.
I was wondering if they still have the temperamental issues or if they are worth the extra cash over the standard EI 12AX7.

I've read bits on the net but thought i'd rather come to friends opinions that I respect and trust.

Peace out people.
Gibson 58 Historic les Paul
Tokai love rock gold top Les Paul
Fender reverse headstock strat
Tokai TV yellow Les Paul special
Tokai TV yellow DC les Paul
Gibson SG Jr

Gibson 1955 GA-5 jr
Gibson 1955 GA-7 special
Gibson1960 skylark
Gibson 1961 skylark w/trem
Silvertone 1963 1481
Gibson 1957 GA-6
Gibson 1957 GA-20T
Gibson 1960 GA-14
Fender 63’ reverb reissue
Lazy J 10LC

www.youtube.com/user/memygtar

Instagram page: the_doc_holliday

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Anybody had any experience with these baby's? EI-12AX7E

Postby surfnorthwest » 14 Jul 2011, 18:36

Interesting new offering, I haven't tried them but the price is right. Actually they are pretty cheap for a gold pin tube if that really makes a difference.

I am going to order a couple myself and try them. To me low noise and microphonics are always key in preamp tubes and more important then all the high gain claims.
It was designed using the Telefunken Smooth Plate ECC83 tube as a model. Its sound is close to that of the Telefunken as well. This tube is remarkable in Hi-Fi amps and preamps and because of microphonics selection it is a great choice for guitar amps.
Opps I see they are sold out of them. Oh well I am always willing to try new tubes so I know.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Doc Holliday
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Doc Holliday » 15 Jul 2011, 01:38

As far as i'm aware surf they are NOS. BUT I have seen some come up on Ebay over here in the UK. They have about 240 available. The price in Sterling is £17.00.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1156

I have put a SED in V3 and a premium tested Tungsol 12AX7 in V4. Even with those I have noticed a great difference. To my liking obviously. I found my tone to be a little less mushy but still have that big warm sound and have a little more detail in the highs which I prefer.
I thought an EI would be great in V2 but with some of these tubes being renowned as microphonic I thought the EI 12AX7E the way forward.
I'm thinking of putting a TUNGSOL 12AX7 ECC803 in the v1. I know you have these in your amps.. would you recommend?

-- Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am --

I've just ordered one. The seller said He's had no problems but if theres any problems to send it back and he'll replace it or money back.

I bought my SED tube from them and i'm more than happy so I placed the order. Should arrive over the next few days. I'll keep you posted on the performance.
Gibson SG Jr

Gibson 1955 GA-5 jr
Gibson 1955 GA-7 special
Gibson1960 skylark
Silvertone 1963 1481
Gibson 1957 GA-6
Gibson 1957 GA-20T
Gibson 1960 GA-14
Fender 63’ reverb reissue
Lazy J 10LC

www.youtube.com/user/memygtar

Instagram page: the_doc_holliday

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 15 Jul 2011, 06:46

Yes the Tung-Sol 12AX7 sounds great in V1, just have it selected for low noise/ microphonics
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Doc Holliday
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Doc Holliday » 15 Jul 2011, 10:57

Cheers surf will do.

-- Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:09 pm --

The 12ax7E arrived this morning. After closer inspection I believe the One in the picture on my link at the Tube depot was not the E. It looks to be the EG. E meaning Elite, G meaning gold.
But thats by the by. I've put the EI E into my YJM. V2 position. The sound was different i must admit. Good or bad is a matter of opinion. In my case My likes were it added more sparkle. Everything seemed alot more clear/brighter. Like the SED in comparrison to the shuang was brighter in the highs also.
The dissapointment was I do like the fatness of the chinese tubes. I think the EI has more character but lacks that ballsy gain that chinese tubes can dish out. There is no microphonic's in this tube. The Elite meaning it is a tested good quality tube in comparrison to the standard EI which through rumour I have heard can Vary.
I'm not a lover of the shuang tube tbh. Hense why I am re-tubing. I find the overall distortion to lack detail.
I've heard the JJ to be less gain than the shuang. I may put the EI here and see how it fits in? Well until my Tungsol comes and then i'll re-shuffle them around in the v1-v2 spots. Re-tubing has led to better results but at the mo, the shuang in position 2 sounds better I think. Although maybe adding that tungsol in v1 and the ei in 2 could give the gain and tone a kick up the ass....

I'll keep trying :)
Gibson SG Jr

Gibson 1955 GA-5 jr
Gibson 1955 GA-7 special
Gibson1960 skylark
Silvertone 1963 1481