Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Juzo95
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Which tube preamp is the best for VM2466 Hi-gain HDR

Postby Juzo95 » 17 Feb 2013, 21:35

I have Tungsol in V1 and all the rest are JJ's. Except power tubes which are stock.

I think this configuration reduces some of the "harshness" and makes things smoother. Though some might have their opinions about JJ's, but they really are great! :Thumbs
I'd like to try tubes which are selected for high gain. That's next on my list about tubes.
GAS isn't the problem,
the lack of funds is...

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Re: Which tube preamp is the best for VM2466 Hi-gain HDR

Postby sikter » 18 Feb 2013, 02:10

SessionsMan wrote:Thanks guys. @Sikter, so give me an example of a good setup for preamp tubes on a 2466. BTW, what I'm looking to achieve is a higher gain and a stinging type sound. Hope that's a good description but that's what it sounds like in my head. I've seen a demo from slashwannabe1 and he switched to JJ's as opposed to the stock tubes which definitely have a richer tone. I've got a friend who uses GTs and he loves them and it has a great sound. As far as other brand of tubes I'm not steeped on those.
Oh man, I can't give it to you because I've never experimented with different tubes in different positions.
I am not active player as I used to be, I play only once a week and that's the only time I meet my Vintage Modern.

You'll probably try everything and find out that you just need a right OD-pedal. I don't know... maybe...
It's always huge difference between how your sound works when you practice alone versus playing with the band.
I never play alone using VM. I have learned lesson hard way.
If you need to set your amp, pedals, whatever you need to it during rehearsal.

I spend most of the time in the front of our PA listening complete band mix.
That's most important to me and there is long way to go. Sometimes you need to set your amp to sound like shit alone but
together with the bass and the other guitar it could cut through very well
:dunno

Return to “Roadhouse Valve Tester”