Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Celestion G12K-100s

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Aug 2008, 11:08

Just scored 4 of these for another 4x12 cabinet and wanted to know if anyone has heard them and what you thought. They come highly recommened from Avatar speakers and they say it is the loudest best sounding hrad rock speaker you can buy. They are supposed to have thundering lows then be pretty linear of the frequency range, much more thump than even the G12T-75s.

I plan on using this cabinet for my new DSL 100. Any thoughts are appreciated since I bought them on trust of Avatars opinion.

Here is what celestion says about them.
G12K-100

Celestion’s very own monster of rock, the G12K-100, makes full use of the heaviest G12 magnet to combine huge power handling with superb clarity across a wide frequency response.

A massive bottom-end, rock-hard midrange and restrained top-end make this the perfect speaker to add thump and grind to modern high-gain tones.

Loaded in 4x12s it delivers its famous sledgehammer lows, as favoured by Slayer’s Kerry King, but it also often finds use in small boutique combos, bringing a powerful mix of low-end warmth and mid-range attack
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 11 Aug 2008, 20:00

Haven't actually played through them myself. I would assume they are hopped up G12T-75's which I've never really gotten into. Hopefully Im wrong and they take that nice tight low end gave it some warm mids and lost the shrill piercing top end.

G12T75's would probably be great for that norwegian death metal though.
:lol:

Hope they work out good for you and awaiting your review.

Oh and Surf, when you gonna start exploring the Eminence Patriot/Redcoat lines. I've played several now and they are really cool takes on some classic cone tones. Cant beat the prices either in most cases.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Aug 2008, 20:10

Oh and Surf, when you gonna start exploring the Eminence Patriot/Redcoat lines. I've played several now and they are really cool takes on some classic cone tones. Cant beat the prices either in most cases.
Well I grew up on Celestions and they have giving me many years of enjoyable sound reproduction/ I guess I am simply to lazy to go out and try a new brand, although I would not be oppossed to using them if they were that good.

Honestly I put a lot of trust into what Dave at Avatar Speakers says about speakers, I really trust his opinion. Usally I am stuborn and make up my own mind but if you ever sit and talk to this guy on the phone you will know he is a subject matter expert on speakers. This G12K-100 cab I am putting together should be killer. I will do a ABC with my three cabs so everyone can hear the difference.

Give me a couple of weeks.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 11 Aug 2008, 23:13

surfnorthwest wrote:
Well I grew up on Celestions and they have giving me many years of enjoyable sound reproduction/ I guess I am simply to lazy to go out and try a new brand, although I would not be oppossed to using them if they were that good.

Honestly I put a lot of trust into what Dave at Avatar Speakers says about speakers, I really trust his opinion. Usally I am stuborn and make up my own mind but if you ever sit and talk to this guy on the phone you will know he is a subject matter expert on speakers. This G12K-100 cab I am putting together should be killer. I will do a ABC with my three cabs so everyone can hear the difference.

Give me a couple of weeks.
I have purchased 2 cabs and several speakers from Dave as well, awesome guy to do business with. I have been thinking of trying a blend of V30's with some G12T-75s, Hell I think thats what the Bogner ubercab is using too. On paper they would seem to balance well.

I am really curious on a comparo between the G12Ks and G12Ts, how close or different they are to each other.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 13 Aug 2008, 13:59

Definitely let us know the scoop Surf!
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley