Moderator: longfxukxnhair

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

three mixer questions

Postby bluesbrother » 01 Nov 2008, 11:56

I use this>>>guitar>modeling pedal>mixer>headphones.
I connected a cdplayer to cd input(red/white) and play a backing track together with
my guitar sound.
REALLY COOL FOR LATE AT NIGHT
I am really new to this stuff so my question is if i want to record all this on a cd?recorder(guitar+backing track)
i do not have a recorder yet thats why i have 3 questions
a. is this possibel?
b. how to connect?( cd output or main out L +R (these are 1/4'' Jack plugs and will not fit cd? recorder
c.what would be a good recorder?

I do not know if this is normal but when i play lots of backing tracks i can improvise for hours without
thinking about it??? When i play without other music i have to know upfront what i am going to play ...??
other wise no new things.I do not know any guitarist to ask if this is normal...
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby teddy07x » 01 Nov 2008, 19:09

Yamhaha N12 or smaller.... most bang for the buck! no questions axed...

good preamps, comes with basic Cubase, automated to the bone for what u need it to do...
And it's great.
I wouldn't say soon is the word. Axl Rose

"When asked about his son’s failures, the elder Bush said, “You can go back to your, what do you call it, your Google, and you figure out all that." G.H.W Bush

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 01 Nov 2008, 19:19

i got a tascam dp-01 8track digital recorder. but to be honest i have it nearly three years and have used it very very little! i had to actually check the name! cudn remember it for a sec! but thats cos wit college and work n stuff iv very little time ta play guitar! i plan to eventually buy some mics. shure sm57 ta start! n get a VM n hopefully start layin down some tracks!! anyway i know this doesn really help much bluesbrother sorry!! :)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 Nov 2008, 19:19

You need some sort of recording software ( I use SONAR), and then you will need a A/D coverter (Presonus or MOTU are cheap) that the mixer plugs into and then the coverter takes it from anolog to digital by using either firewire or USB to get the sounds into your recording software. Some of the mixers now have a USB so if that one does you will only need the recording software. Once you lay down your track(s) in the software you can then render all the tracks into a MP3.

WARNING.... getting into recording is a blast and very addictive. It can cost you a small Kings ransom to do it right. I started small and kept upgrading until I was satified. I got about $15,000 into my recording gear.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 01 Nov 2008, 21:03

teddy07x wrote:Yamhaha N12 or smaller.... most bang for the buck! no questions axed...

good preamps, comes with basic Cubase, automated to the bone for what u need it to do...
And it's great.
+1 the Yamaha N8 is great too if you want to save a couple hundred bucks. Oh and if you can afford it get a MAC and throw away the PC. The basic Imac has everything you need.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 02 Nov 2008, 01:37

Thanks,
I want to keep things as simple and small as possibel.
I do not want to go the computer software way but i kind of fancy these small mp3 recorders.
On my Computer i can if i want convert it into a CD.The CD output is assymetrical paralel wired
to the main out (?)so i gues i can record with it.The MP3 recorders mostly usb so i have to search for
the one with these white/red jacks.
The recording is just for myself to listen things back so i do not have high demands here just
simple and reliable so i will use it often.
With my VM i use my stereo .That is a 110 watt kenwood with my 2 beloved JAMO cabs( 580 watts each, i
got them 20 years now and they never let me down!!!)I have them at home but have used them at work for
5 years each day but for 300 sqaure meters they actually started to vibrate the mirror and computers of the
the neighbours......hahaha
But at low volume they sound better than these small PA speakers....
Thanks again!!!!
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby teddy07x » 02 Nov 2008, 07:49

how much money are u looking to spend?

You can get the Yamaha N series and it's gonna be cheap.
It gives you the preamps, hands on feel and takes you closest to the old 8 track recording with a mixer feel.

If you wanna spend a little more.
You can go the Mac + Apogee + Euphonics route. Stellar AD/DA, great pre-amps and you can build on it if you want.
The Euphonics system gives you faders and control over the DAW.

The stuff you'd be recording on the latter system is good enough to do records with.

"When asked about his son’s failures, the elder Bush said, “You can go back to your, what do you call it, your Google, and you figure out all that." G.H.W Bush

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 02 Nov 2008, 08:01

You can go the Mac + Apogee + Euphonics route. Stellar AD/DA, great pre-amps and you can build on it if you want.
+1

There are two brands of AD/DA coverters you can buy that are fantanstic. Teddy is right on with the gear from Apogee, absolutly pristine recordings and great pre amps. Also I will add RME into the discussion as a option to Apogee. I use the RME Fireface 800 with great results and a fantastic mixer interface.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby teddy07x » 02 Nov 2008, 08:04

surfnorthwest wrote:
+1

There are two brands of AD/DA coverters you can buy that are fantanstic. Teddy is right on with the gear from Apogee, absolutly pristine recordings and great pre amps. Also I will add RME into the discussion as a option to Apogee. I use the RME Fireface 800 with great results and a fantastic mixer interface.
Problem with RME is that they don't come with quality pre-amps. I'd say they suck compared to Apogee pre amps.
I've used them both, in proper studios. And the RME stuff just isn't in the Apogee league.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 02 Nov 2008, 09:04

I do not want to spend a fortune......
I was thinking about this handheld mp3 recorder >> i can connect it to the main out and
if i use my amp and stereo i can use the built in mics.
Probably not top notch sounds but that is not my intensions for this recordings ,
just a cheap way to listen back practise and new stuff.
Maybe surf is right , i started real simple with a 150 dollar amp and guitar starterspack and
things got out of hand real quick...... :roll:
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 02 Nov 2008, 12:37

No, you must spend thousands of dollars and we all insist on it!!! :)

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 02 Nov 2008, 21:46

Kongels wrote:No, you must spend thousands of dollars and we all insist on it!!! :)
G.A.S. :twisted: Thanks man that was the advise i needed!!!

Sorry, i was only referring to the 15000$ recording equipment of surfnorthwest.
He makes very good music CD's that i have listened on his site , and then it is worth
every penny.
My purpose is different >> just an very easy and simple way to record and listen back only for myself.
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

teddy07x
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby teddy07x » 03 Nov 2008, 08:29

bluesbrother wrote:
Kongels wrote:No, you must spend thousands of dollars and we all insist on it!!! :)
G.A.S. :twisted: Thanks man that was the advise i needed!!!

Sorry, i was only referring to the 15000$ recording equipment of surfnorthwest.
He makes very good music CD's that i have listened on his site , and then it is worth
every penny.
My purpose is different >> just an very easy and simple way to record and listen back only for myself.
again, how much do you wanna spend?

listening to your own stuff can be more fun when it's OK quality on the playback.

Search ebay for some used digital recorders. with preamps.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 03 Nov 2008, 09:44

300 to 400 euro.
I think about this handheld recording device which are in this price range or maybe a
normal CD recorder.I want to connect it to my little mixer .In the future i can
buy some good mics which i saw in a thread of surfnorthwest if i want to record from the VM.
I bought this mixer to play through headphones and was pleasantly surprised when
i put a backing track in the mix together with my guitar sound.My two digitech pedals give me all
the sounds i need through headphones and i do not even use them to imitate these artist.
The jimi pedal can give me all the blues sounds i need and also for example santana sounds.The brian
pedal can give me a incrediable rock sound.they sounds very very good through the vintage modern also,
especially the brian may pedal>>with a strat >middle and bridge pickup the sustaaaaaaain is just sick.
The jimi hendrix pedal has got a compressed acoustic preset (for along the watchtower) which is such a great
sound i use it all the time for blues( impossibe to get with the vm without it).The platereverb on this pedal
is the best reverb i have ever heard (better then my EHX holier grail.)These 2 pedals give me a better sound than
a boss gt8 or a zoomG9.2tt ( i used them for 2 years).I am drifting off.... i just want to connect a recorder to
the cd out of the behringer mixer( only 50 euro and it works perfect for me).It is not just only how much somebody
is willing to spend but also with what are they satisfied( why spend more if it is good already for me?)
:roll:
PS; IF you go to www.you.tube.com and type hey joe -rutger dijkstra
You can hear how great it sounds with a backing track.This guy also plays his own stuff
with this pedal.When people put there nose up for those digtech artist pedals they do not play
as good as rutger and they just do not know how to dial in a good sound. That is why i think these
are no beginners pedals.This is just MY opinion.
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 03 Nov 2008, 13:47

This is the other option i had in mind.(sony RCD-W100/CDplayer/CD MP3 recorder)
With this one i can actually play a backing track in the left CD player and record in the right
CD recorder also with the option to choose between analog or digital.The price is 349 euro( same
as the handheld recorder.)Would this be a better solution???
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

Return to “Other Instruments”