Moderator: longfxukxnhair

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

string breaking

Postby classic rock » 12 Nov 2008, 21:46

Lately I have been working hard on my bending (making sure I bend to the right pitch) and it has improved so much especially when I add vibrato. The problem is I have been breaking a lot of b and e strings. The string I just broke is maybe 1 1/2 weeks old. It happens when I do a 1 step bend and then I do a 1 1/2 step bend like in the beginning intro of red house when Jimi does it on b string on the 15 fret. I use Dadarrio EXL115 and I recently tried Earnie Ball Slinky and they were even worse. I dont know I just feel like I am breaking strings frequently when I am bending. I have been playing for hours a day so maybe thats why. I was just looking for some advice to see if this is normal? Also just wondering how often you guys play and how often do you change your strings when you are just practicing/playing not performing.
ELECTRIC GUITARS
American Strat APS-2 \ Gibson Les Paul #34 '57s \ Gibson Les Paul Classic Burstbucker Pros \
AMPS
Marshall VM 2466 425A Cab \ 65 Fender Bassman 50 Watt \ 93 Fender Vibroverb
EFFECTS
Dunlop JH-F1 > Barber Direct Drive LG > Zendrive > Lovepedal Vibe > Fulltone Wah > Korg Pitch Black Tuner > Radial Bigshot A/B/Y Switch
ATTENUATORS
Marshall Powerbrake \ Dr Z Airbrake - - - Powebrake definitely takes the cake - - -

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 12 Nov 2008, 23:50

Are they always breaking in the same place or just randomly? It could be the nut, bridge, string tree, how they are wrapped around tuning peg or alot of things like that. If you are seeing a pattern where it is happening thats the first place I would take a good look. I switched to DR pure blues nickel wounds a few years ago and rarely break a string, I do alot of big bends as well. I change them about as often as I get a new pair of shoes, when they are worn out. If they are looking dirty, won't stay in tune, your intonation is out of whack or one breaks its a good time to change them all.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 13 Nov 2008, 03:21

As Kongels says, it could be a problem with some part of the guitar if the strings break in the same place.

I used to break strings very often when I was younger, now I hardly ever break any strings, and I do A LOT of heavy bending and vibrato. String brand doesn't matter. It's been years since I broke a string and I play many hours every day. I think it has to do with the picking technique as well. I have learned to pick more consistently soft. I used to pick much harder when I was younger because I couldn't control my picking.

I usually change strings once a week, but if I'm doing a lot of work I change every other day. But I have had periods where the strings stayed on for months without breaking even though I played a lot during that time.

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 13 Nov 2008, 08:38

thanks guys for the replies. The b and e string have been breaking in different spots. It has been happening on my Les Paul and my Strat. I am almost positive I am stringing them right, I remember watching a ton of videos back in the day on how to do it. I do dig in really hard with the pick when I am doing big bending but thats just how I play with emotion. I dont know its just frustrating because I thought this was more frequent. I am going to restring the strat but I am going to leave the strings on the Les, they are as old as the strat strings, and see how long they last.
ELECTRIC GUITARS
American Strat APS-2 \ Gibson Les Paul #34 '57s \ Gibson Les Paul Classic Burstbucker Pros \
AMPS
EFFECTS
Dunlop JH-F1 > Barber Direct Drive LG > Zendrive > Lovepedal Vibe > Fulltone Wah > Korg Pitch Black Tuner > Radial Bigshot A/B/Y Switch
ATTENUATORS
Marshall Powerbrake \ Dr Z Airbrake - - - Powebrake definitely takes the cake - - -

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 13 Nov 2008, 12:33

happens to me alot too dude!! a while bk i wanted to change my strings. i had 4 sets of strings and not one of them had a high-E string!! one set had no b string either!! and i think one set was missin the a string aswel as the high e!! i dont change strings as often as id like. id be playin and break a string but wudn have time to change the whole set so id only change the broken one....so another string mite break later!! so last wk i had to buy a new set of strings and like 4 r 5 spare e's! even with new strings if yer playin alot they can break. it varies where they break too. on the high strings the break either rite at the nut or rite at the bredge. cos wen ya bend thats where most of the stress is exerted on the string. on the lower ones they'd normally break at the bridge. one of the windings wud snap and start to unravel.

its like you said dude when yer really gettin into it sometimes ya jst really dig in! i can be pretty tough on my guitars too!! its prob nothin ta do with the hardware and is prob jst yer style of playin cos im the same!!

snatch
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby snatch » 13 Nov 2008, 13:47

i have an american deluxe fat strat and i used to always break the 5th or "A" string after playing heavy chords. i had to take a microscope to my bridge saddles and found a small burr that the string was rubbing on. some fine grit sandpaper and a little elbow grease and i havent had a problem since. you could try this, or some graph tech saddles
fender american deluxe fat strat
gibson melody maker
mesa single rectifier
2466 vintage modern
1960 a and b 4x12

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 13 Nov 2008, 14:30

snatch wrote:i have an american deluxe fat strat and i used to always break the 5th or "A" string after playing heavy chords. i had to take a microscope to my bridge saddles and found a small burr that the string was rubbing on. some fine grit sandpaper and a little elbow grease and i havent had a problem since. you could try this, or some graph tech saddles
really!! not a bad Idea!! so did that stop the strings breaking?? that prob wud be the case for the heavier strings breakin regularly alright.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 13 Nov 2008, 15:57

I honestly can't remember the last time I broke a string. However, that hasn't stopped me from using the "I need to have a backup guitar in case I break a string during a performance" excuse to get a new guitar. BTW, I haven't had a public performance in years! :lol:

Since it's not isolated to one guitar and the strings are breaking in different places I'd rule out bad saddles, nut etc.
I'd guess it could be: too heavy a pick (I use mediums), too light a gauge strings (I use .011s), cheap strings (I use either EB Slinkys or Snake Oils) or you're just a bad ass. :wink:

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 13 Nov 2008, 17:21

Haha I think I am just going with option "you're just a bad ass". I use dunlop tortex .73mm ... This time the e string broke near the tuning peg so maybe I should run a sheet of sandpaper through the nut just to see if it helps. I just hate when it happens, its like my guitars cant handle me. I play like a fuckin animal sometimes. I cant wait until I can play live and release the fire inside me.
ELECTRIC GUITARS
AMPS
EFFECTS
ATTENUATORS

lukemc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 7 times

Re: string breaking

Postby lukemc » 17 Apr 2009, 08:26

Just thought id say, i have graphtech saddles and i keep string on for months at a time lol
if they aint broke dont fix, plus i hate the sound of new strings.
Amps Cabs
2466 Marshall Vintage Modern 425a Marhall G12C Slant Cab
2266c Marshall Vintage Modern
Marshall Class 5

Guitar
08' Gibson R8
00' Gibson R6 (P-90's)
Fender Custom shop 69' Relic Stratocaster

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 17 Apr 2009, 15:53

I think sometimes im unlucky and get a bad string. Ive been play pretty hard and especially when im playing blues solos and have not broke a string in a long time. I ordered a set of strings .11 with a wound G string. Anyone try a set with a wound G string? I couldnt stop myself from atleast trying it out.
ELECTRIC GUITARS
AMPS
EFFECTS
ATTENUATORS

Lordakamai
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Lordakamai » 18 Apr 2009, 13:19

I used to have allot of of string breaking on my Les paul Copy and a friend told me to put the stings in different (like shown in the picture) and this i just can't get to break em now i have been doing allot of aggressive overbending but they don't break and i actually have to change them now because of they are all rusty and shitty they have been on for close to 2 months now and i play allot
Attachments
strings
strings
Picture 26.jpg (65.59 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
In the end, all you can rely on is your good old guitar

Return to “Other Instruments”