What is your oldest piece of gear?

Discussion of other Instruments

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Kongels
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: What is your oldest piece of gear?

Postby Kongels » 17 Jun 2009, 02:02

Hmm, I have a early 60s Airline amp, a 68 Harmony Sovereign 1270 12 string, 70 Harmony Sovereign 1260 (My baby), 70s Harmony Mahogany Flying V (pos)and probably some other stuff I am forgettting, oh yeah, my Accordian but we aren't gonna talk about that!!! Oh yeah and I also have a Harmony Banjo from the 70s I would guess but have never checked. All these instruments are made in America!!! The best of that bunch is the 1260 acoustic, solid spruce top, one piece mahogany back, booming acoustic guitar.

Those things I got all used of course and stuff I have bought that I still have, wish I still had my first Electric Bass from when i was 10!!! Also a 1991 Takamine piece of crap acoustic I put a 70s lawrence pup in and used it at a block party this weekend through an amp so I guess that piece of particle board still works. I think my first strat, which I still have is a 90/91 mexi but it has been carved out, painted and mutated into a two humbucker John Deere Green head beast.

And the list is always growing. Oh yeah, I also have a stack of 80s keyboards and synthesizers, lol. One day maybe I will sell them all and finally get a Moog.

Oh crap and my nylon strings, I have several total but my current favorite is a 70s conqueror from Japan my girlfriend just bought me at a garage sale. Best I can find out Conqueror was sued by Gibson for making copies, lol.

Oh and I don't have an original Danolectro but I do have 3 of the pretty good 90s Korean made ones, one of which is a doubleneck 12/6, lol. I have been dissapointed in the quality of the recent Chinese versions.

All these fricking guitars and I pretty much play my EJ strat 90% of the time and am currently working on 2 partscasters!!!

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 17 Jun 2009, 09:59

Kongels wrote:Hmm, I have a early 60s Airline amp, a 68 Harmony Sovereign 1270 12 string, 70 Harmony Sovereign 1260 (My baby), 70s Harmony Mahogany Flying V (pos)and probably some other stuff I am forgettting, oh yeah, my Accordian but we aren't gonna talk about that!!! Oh yeah and I also have a Harmony Banjo from the 70s I would guess but have never checked. All these instruments are made in America!!! The best of that bunch is the 1260 acoustic, solid spruce top, one piece mahogany back, booming acoustic guitar.

Those things I got all used of course and stuff I have bought that I still have, wish I still had my first Electric Bass from when i was 10!!! Also a 1991 Takamine piece of crap acoustic I put a 70s lawrence pup in and used it at a block party this weekend through an amp so I guess that piece of particle board still works. I think my first strat, which I still have is a 90/91 mexi but it has been carved out, painted and mutated into a two humbucker John Deere Green head beast.

And the list is always growing. Oh yeah, I also have a stack of 80s keyboards and synthesizers, lol. One day maybe I will sell them all and finally get a Moog.

Oh crap and my nylon strings, I have several total but my current favorite is a 70s conqueror from Japan my girlfriend just bought me at a garage sale. Best I can find out Conqueror was sued by Gibson for making copies, lol.

Oh and I don't have an original Danolectro but I do have 3 of the pretty good 90s Korean made ones, one of which is a doubleneck 12/6, lol. I have been dissapointed in the quality of the recent Chinese versions.

All these fricking guitars and I pretty much play my EJ strat 90% of the time and am currently working on 2 partscasters!!!

Shweet!!!!! :Thumbs Appears you are the king so far! Original Danelectro(?), is that from the 50s? And the Airline amp, I think Danelectro built some of those as well.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Kongels

Postby Kongels » 17 Jun 2009, 15:18

All my Dano's are 90s Korean made. The Airline Amp is the Montgomery Ward version, they were released under a bunch of names like Valco, Supro so on and sold through chain stores as far as I know. In High School a dude sold me the Amp and the Harmony Flying V for 20 bucks.

I just got a lot of old, not worth alot stuff, lol.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 17 Jun 2009, 15:43

Harmony made some great stuff in the 70s! A friend of mine's dad has an old Harmony acoustic that sounds amazing and a Harmony hollowbody I fell in love with. He let me use it for a couple of weeks and I did not want to give it back.
I used to have a 1974 Fender Precision bass that was all original that I got at a yard sale for $300. A few years ago I sold it and got enough for it to buy a Mexican Fender 5 string Jazz bass and a drumset!

Kongels

Postby Kongels » 17 Jun 2009, 16:44

Yeah my 1260 is the best acoustic I will probably ever own. I can't justify buying a Martin when I have a 40 year old aged Spruce top already, the headstock is bitching too imo.

http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H1260/44.htm

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 17 Jun 2009, 16:52

Love it
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 17 Jun 2009, 16:58

It's funny you said that. He regularly plays bluegrass with a bunch of guys with Martins and he said that they often offer to trade him.

That being said, one day I will own a Martin HD-28v. I've wanted one for about as long as I can remember, I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on an acoustic. Someday... :pray

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 18 Jun 2009, 00:12

My oldest piece of equipment was an old communist made Jolana Star VII from 1965...
Needless to say... if it was shit in 1965, it wasn't a great piece of vintage equipment in 2000 when I got it... But it is vintage :)
I gave it away as it was aweful shameful show of how communist's did everything crap.
a pic...
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

Tnjpekar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Tnjpekar » 22 Jun 2009, 10:14

amp whore here checking in
sorry to say, the oldest amp I own is a 67 bassman, but its not currently in working order
my oldest functioning amp is a 69 bassman
have a 61 harmony stella guitar tho, does that count?
I do have some tubes from the 50's! but they are in amps from the 70's, 90's and 2000's

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 22 Jun 2009, 21:16

freesun wrote:My oldest piece of equipment was an old communist made Jolana Star VII from 1965...
Ever wonder what the Jolana Star I was like? The VII may have been the pinnacle :scared

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 22 Jun 2009, 21:23

Tnjpekar wrote:amp whore here checking in
sorry to say, the oldest amp I own is a 67 bassman, but its not currently in working order
my oldest functioning amp is a 69 bassman
have a 61 harmony stella guitar tho, does that count?
I do have some tubes from the 50's! but they are in amps from the 70's, 90's and 2000's
That Harmony might be in the lead for oldest gear list, but the 50's tubes are for sure! :pimp

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Postby burnsy » 07 Dec 2009, 06:35

For me it would be my '66 Tele.
Don't use it much these days but I could never let it go - best neck in the world!
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

Return to “Other Instruments”