Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Audio-Technica ATM250DE Dual-Element Inst Microphone

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Aug 2009, 19:06

Throw out your SM57s there is a new mic that kicks ass for micing up a guitar cabinet. It is the Audio-Technica ATM250DE Dual-Element Inst Microphone which is two mics in one( condenser and dynamic) enclosed in a single housing.

I just got this and put it up against my trusty SM57 which I have used for years and the sound has much more range and almost a 3D effect or a stereo widening effect. Previously I could only get this using two seperate mics and then had to spend A great deal of time positioning them just right, not so with this one. I would defenitly try this one mic'd up threw a PA in a live venue. It can also handle very high SLP so no worries there either (148 dB SPL).

As far as recording with it sound much more full and 3D than the Shure mic. And becasue the two mics are already mounting in perfect phase you will not ever have to deal with getting that set up right. Here is a shot of the two mics inside the housing.

Now you will need two inputs into your mixer or preamp with these and of course phantom power. For recording you will record the guitar on two channels in perfect phase which will allow some cool panning. The two tracks give a wide stereo effect that is just class.

Check it out, a great deall for $299 :Thumbs

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Audio-Technica ATM250DE Dual-Element Inst Microphone

Postby HappyBlues » 14 Aug 2009, 06:07

wow. It's 750$ here... what can once say about that?
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 14 Aug 2009, 07:46

I just picked up a second one of eBay for cheap (it was new), there were a few more for sale also. Although made for a kick drum these just kick ass on a guitar cabinet. Try this link as this guy has five of them selling for $159 each and he will ship overseas.....AWESOME DEAL

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATM2 ... 286.c0.m14
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 21 Sep 2009, 16:26

Cool, and very interesting!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 21 Sep 2009, 18:48

They work great Tony.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 22 Sep 2009, 08:55

Yeah, the concept seems very promising. Every time I've recorded cabs with a 57 and a condenser of some sort it's always trouble getting them i perfect phase while finding the sweet spot for both of them. This one totally solves that problem. And great for live miking as well it seems :Thumbs

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby frank9310 » 11 Oct 2009, 12:25

Wow! Tony now that is one cool mic! I wonder if that could help Trower out since he uses to heads and 2 cabs set the same for the bigger sound. That would eliminate the need for the second one!
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 13 Oct 2009, 10:30

im kinda ragin i didn get one of those off ebay when that guy had em for $159!!! they're €350 now!!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

Return to “Other Instruments”