Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

We have any other bassists here?

Postby Kyle » 18 Nov 2010, 21:15

I am a bassist, and own the worlds more beautiful LB75 from Carvin. Their basses have it going on. Bass is where I started, and it will always be my home. For what I do with it, well just about anything, some slap and pop (rusty) , tap, and finger style. I play a lot of prog like Rush and Dream theatre to keep myself entertained. I am working on a few elusive dream theatre licks of late, notably the fast part of 'the glass prison' under the guitar and keyboard solos.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: We have any other bassists here?

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Nov 2010, 16:53

I have a bass (5 string Fender Jazz) and a bass amp (Gallien Krueger 1000rb & 4x12 cab) and used to think I was an okay bassist until our bassist joined our band.
He's been using my amp for years now & my bass just hangs on my wall.
I play bass like a guitar player, he actually plays like a bass player and there is a huge difference.
I also have a drumset and play it like a guitar player. :laugher

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Nov 2010, 17:19

I actually started playing guitar at the age of 9 and by 13 I got my first bass and switched. My first band was a Jr High jazz band and man that old fart made me learn how to read notes. This drove me to pick the guitar back up at the age of 17 and never tuned back.

I still do all the bass guitar on my recording and always have. I enjoy playing bass since the new bass guitars sound so good with the active eqs. Had a 5 string Carvin for awhile and rarly used the B string so I sold that one and had this baby custom built and it is what I use today.
Attachments
IC4WP8.jpg
IC4WP8.jpg (135.16 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
IC4WP11.jpg
IC4WP11.jpg (150.36 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Kyle » 19 Nov 2010, 19:10

Damnit Surf, I would love a 5er like that. Have seen it before (when you got it) but it is no less awesome now than it was then. I love Carvins active EQ, the mid sweep is my favourite part.

Slowpoke- I know what you mean, you guys playing bass like a guitar tend to make me laugh (especially as a lot of them think that is how it should be done, and if you can play guitar you can play bass, fortunately you are not in that pile). The irony is I use more techniques on a bass than a lot of guys on guitar do, in fact I have put together 2 pieces with chording the Bass as rhythm to date. Chord selection is a process in and of itself to ensure it rings well.

Kongels
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 19 Nov 2010, 20:35

I started playing Bass when I was 10 in orchestra, didn't pick up guitar until high school. I picked up guitar in high school, I still think of myself as a bass player who plays guitar although I play guitar 90% of the time these days.

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Kyle » 19 Nov 2010, 22:45

Kongels wrote:I started playing Bass when I was 10 in orchestra, didn't pick up guitar until high school. I picked up guitar in high school, I still think of myself as a bass player who plays guitar although I play guitar 90% of the time these days.
I can relate there, although recently I would say I have acquired enough technique and voice on each to say I play both opposed to as one playing the other. Given the chance in a band I still grab a bass though. Also, taking this as an excuse to show off my pretty. Can't let surf have all the fun.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Nov 2010, 22:53

Wow I bet that things sounds great, Carvin makes some bad ass bass guitars.

Hey we do allow pictures bigger then your dick on this site. :laugher When you post there is a section to upload pics.

I noticed your dog in the background and had to make sure the hind leg was firmly on the ground.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Kyle » 20 Nov 2010, 06:34

He took a leak on a open case once, as a pup... Once..

The reason I posted a thumb was the picture is a full 10 Mega pixel beast, and this forum doesn't auto shrink them to a respectable size. In other words about 4 mb of picture. Just my way of not blowing peoples screens off, here it is as bit as uploads allow.

I love the huge humbuckers, they are pretty awesome pickups. I often wonder how Carvin has such a score with their bass pickups and such a miss with their guitar pickups. It just doesn't add up right. You get a few bassists changing out the pickups but you only get a few guitarists who don't change out the pickups.
Attachments
bass.jpg
bass.jpg (467.85 KiB) Viewed 1454 times

Return to “Other Instruments”