Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 3325 times
Been liked: 5485 times

At a $149 this might be the mic for amp cabinets

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 Jan 2018, 12:49

One of the things I really need to check out at NAMM, if it does what I know the ML1 will do then its a game changer in recording guitar cabinets. Technology keeps moving on.

This new modeling microphone just may be the ticket for mic'ing up cabinets. Make It Sound like Any Classic Mic you want and model any microphone preamp. This ultra-linear, sonically neutral microphone captures even the loudest sound sources with clinical precision — the perfect blank canvas to use with Slate Digital's microphone emulations.

The ML-2 was tested with a large number of mics during the development, and we found that even the most expensive small-diaphragm microphone designs saturate when micing very loud and transient-rich sources like close mic’d drums. Therefore, we added a proprietary switch on the ML-2 called “Dynamic” which attenuates the mic’s output and repolarizes the capsule, allowing the ML-2 to be used in extremely high SPL situations without overloading or saturating. As a result, it can be used just like a dynamic mic on drums, guitar cabs, and more.

The ML-2 comes with a full plugin suite that contains 18 different microphone emulations. None of these add any latency to the audio signal, so you can track through the software without any audible monitoring delay. To accomplish this, we recommend using a Thunderbolt or fast USB interface, recording at 96khz with the lowest buffer size possible.

The ML-2 microphone is the second model in our award-winning Virtual Microphone System. This small diaphragm microphone is capable of recreating the tone of an entire mic locker of instrument mics – including dynamics like the 57 and 421, cardioid models of classic ribbons like the 121, other famous small diaphragm mics like the 451 and 222, and even large diaphragm mics like the famous 414 and tube 67.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VRSML2

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast'

belleswell
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 425 times
Been liked: 275 times

Re: At a $149 this might be the mic for amp cabinets

Postby belleswell » 04 Jan 2018, 12:45

I love the sound of my 6100 LE but have never been able to capture it in a satisfactory way. I've tried different mic placement with two 57's and even an omni sm58 and have yet to get as
nice a sound as I do going direct into the pc via axe/pedalboard. Let me know what you think as the price is right.
Thanks, J

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”