Moderator: longfxukxnhair

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Multiple Amp recording

Postby DeanM » 18 Nov 2009, 08:53

Came across this today on the tube. the guy is a studio engineer and is producing or something like that for a band called MIGGS. the band has 4 amps. he sets up all four amps and connects them using the voodoo labs amp switcher, i think its the one surf has. he has each one mic'd twice, except the marshal which has one mic recording sound. connects each mic up to various mic pres and then goes from the mic pres into a mixing desk. from the mixing desk, he adjusts the levels of each mic on each amp and then routes them to a subgroup so that he can then control each amp individually. for example, there is a divided by 13 amp with two mics. he adjusts the levels on each mic to get the best blend then subgroups them to one slider. so that he can now control that amp with one slider. then he adjusts the phase and stuff etc etc

but anyway the end result is really really cool!!! he can plug the guitar in in the control room and then use the mixer to select any combination of the amps he wants. e.g. all four at once, the marshall and the Div13, the tophat and the fender. its really cool!! then he has pedals in the control room for even more possible tones!! i thought it was really cool!!

here's the vids. there is three so check em all out if you'v the time or go to number three to skip all the setup and see the results! i learnt a bit from these vids!
clip1
[youtube][/youtube]
clip2
[youtube][/youtube]
clip 3
[youtube][/youtube]
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Multiple Amp recording

Postby surfnorthwest » 20 Nov 2009, 14:14

Pretty much what I am doing also. Each head and cabinet has it's own mic. I do not use two mic's on each cab because the audio tech mic's I use are a two in one with both a dynamic and a condensor mic.

Those mic's (4) all feed into my RME fireface 800 which are my pre's. That goes into my pc via FireWire where I use the mixer software to set gain levels and phase if using multiple amps. The last thing is having my voodoo labs amp switcher to select a single amp or any combination of amps. The guy in the videos knew his business

While you couldn't tell it on a recording you should hear all five of my halfstacks together cranked :eek
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”