Yellow Stone
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

home recording

Postby Yellow Stone » 17 May 2011, 06:56

Hi,
I'm really a noob at this!!! I would like to record songs i've been writing for about the last 2 years. :yea
I just don't know what I all need for the recording... I have a Macbook Pro and a budget around 500$.
I guess I need a mic (would like to record with my VM), all that stuff .
Any suggestions? maybe software?
I was looking at the TC electronic recording, but i have absolutely no idea what products are good and what isn't. :dunno
Hope you guys can help

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: home recording

Postby JkGriffin » 17 May 2011, 07:26

Well... I would suggest a Shure SM57 for a microphone. It's not too expensive and considered a standard.
Then you need a soundcard that you can plug the microphone to. There are tons of different soundcards to choose from...
Also, you need a DAW... a recording software. This often comes bundled to soundcards... Cubase LE is very good at handing out those.
Just bear in mind that bundled software often follows the hardware... so when you change out your soundcard, you will have to re-install new DAW.

Magix also have cheap studio recording solutions which I used for some years... but bear in mind that their customer support is just about non existent...

Then you need time and patience...

That should cover the very basics...

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 17 May 2011, 09:36

Well the good news is you have most of what you need w/ your laptop and $500 is probably enough to get you home.

SM57 less than a $100
A mic stand $25?
A mic cable to connect the mic to the "box" $15?
"the box"... A USB or FireWire interface "box" that connects the mic to your Mac
I have a rack unit by Presonus that has more inputs than I need, you'll only need a two input unit, and there are a bunch of choices. This is where it gets a little sticky, trying to get the best bang for the buck and wading thru all the specs and gear reviews. I'll bet someone here can make a recomendation on the smaller interfaces, but feel confident that the smaller boxes will deliver great results. Prices vary but you'll be in great shape with your remaining budget.
Garage Band will provide all the software you'll need to get started and will carry you for quite a while, unless you get into some serious recording and engineering.
Some monitors would be handy to listen to the recording, although pricey and probably outside your $500 budget... or you can run your Macs audio out to a home stereo... or headphones connected to your Mac will work well too.

Your Mac and Garage Band will auto recognize your "box", just plug it all together and go! You should be able to lay down your first track within 30 minutes, including undoing the boxes and twisty ties.

Good luck! :beerme

Then it's fast and simple to save the track(s), move to iTunes and burn CDs.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 17 May 2011, 09:43

Dude... thats true... I totally forgot about Garage Band... It is actually quite good and easy to use for beginners...

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 17 May 2011, 20:46

Hey Yellow Stone you may have received this same email from GC, but in case not, check this out...

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/recording-ma ... ce=4TP1E3A
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 May 2011, 20:58

Have to wonder (being Guitar Center) if those workshops are more about pimping gear and software then actually teaching someone the tricks to get a great recording. When I look at the topics they will cover I smell a marketing push disguised in a clinic.

Recording from start to a mastered finish is a very learned thing. It takes a lot of hours learning what works and what doesn't. Recording guitar is one thing but recording bass, vocals, keys, a second guitar all record different and have some fundamental things that need to be done to the track before you even start to record it . Best thing to do is just get out your checkbook and start down that road. You will learn it, it just takes time.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Papus
Paid to Shit
Paid to Shit
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 896 times

Postby Papus » 17 May 2011, 21:37

Get a Shure SM57, a cheap Chinese ribbon mic, a mini-mixer (2 mic inputs is sufficient) and an all-in-one USB MIDI keyboard controller/audio interface such as made by Roland/Edirol, Korg ,etc.
You should be able to purchase all of the above for less than $500.
Run the mics into the mixer, and run the mixer into the audio inputs of the USB keyboard/interface.
The reason I suggest getting a keyboard/interface is so you get more bang for your buck - you get an audio interface for recording your mics and you get a keyboard for programming your backing tracks.
The SM57 is the industry standard for miking guitar cabinets, but I think you'll find even the cheapest Chinese ribbon mic to be warmer, fuller and more authoritative when recorded.

Oh, and I agree with the others: ain't nothin' wrong with Garage Band! - it's FREE and it's great for slapping together high quality backing tracks and some people use it for making full albums.
Good luck!
Dime that puppy!!!

Yellow Stone
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Yellow Stone » 18 May 2011, 00:23

haha, sorry Spotted Dog, but I live in Belgium, we don't have the "awesomeness" of Guitar center around here... Europe :smash
For equipment, I do a lot of research on the internet, but I must say, this forum helped me soooo MUCH!!!
(Right now I'm looking for a good overdrive, and spotted the majic box Body Blow.)
For the last several weeks I looked at all my videos of licks, riffs and other ideas I recorded on my mac, and decided to just go for it and record a small album, just for fun :Cheers

I still not quite have the sound I want, but I'm getting closer every day. This maybe offtopic but how do you guys let the VM sound more "juicier" without using phase pedals and stuff? (that might be an strange question I supose)

cheers

impetus maximus
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby impetus maximus » 17 Jun 2011, 06:45

+1 for a Shure SM57. they even sell a bundle with a USB adapter. i think having more than one mic can help the tone of the recording.
just make sure you research mic phasing if you go that route. there are new tools to help with this. recording with multiple mics that are out of phase can be a nightmare.

mic placement is very important. placing the mic more toward the center of the speaker will be "brighter" and as you move out will give you more bottom end.

good luck with your project :Cheers

record335
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby record335 » 17 Jun 2011, 11:26

Yellow Stone,

It would be worth you looking into some software called Reaper 3 by Cockos software. It was not long voted the No. 1 DAW software by SOS (Sound on Sound), a top UK magazine about music recording and production. The SOS website is awesome with reviews, hints, tips, demos and interviews with producers. Well worth a visit by anyone interested in home or studio recording. There are great articles about mic selection, placement and plugin reviews etc.

http://www.reaper.fm/
http://www.soundonsound.com/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug07/a ... ording.htm

I am fairly new to home recording but have totally got the bug and spend many hours on the SOS website reading about techniques etc. Not only does it tell you about options for recording, it also provides an understanding about the theory of compression, gating, reverb etc. All stuff that I think is important to understand. I use Cakewalk Sonar X1 but that is fairly pricey with a low budget, so would really advise you to look at Reaper 3, judging by other users feedback and also bearing in mind it's only $40.00 for a home license and is being constantly being updated.

Hope this helps.

Mark
1993 Gibson Les Paul Birdseye Maple Standard
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 425a cabinet
Boss GT-10 Fx
Slash Signature Cry Baby
Pro Tools 12.5
Steven Slate plugins

renips
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 2 times

Postby renips » 12 Jul 2011, 12:10

surfnorthwest wrote:Have to wonder (being Guitar Center) if those workshops are more about pimping gear and software then actually teaching someone the tricks to get a great recording. When I look at the topics they will cover I smell a marketing push disguised in a clinic.

Recording from start to a mastered finish is a very learned thing. It takes a lot of hours learning what works and what doesn't. Recording guitar is one thing but recording bass, vocals, keys, a second guitar all record different and have some fundamental things that need to be done to the track before you even start to record it . Best thing to do is just get out your checkbook and start down that road. You will learn it, it just takes time.
What was said above it so very true. It takes many hours if not years to become proficient at capturing clean well mixed sessions and taking them to a mastered finish. Start reading and learning as much as you can. Listen to other music and take note of certain production cues and do not be discouraged in the beginning. The point is to enjoy yourself.
Amps & Cabs
1984 JCM 800 2204
modified with extra valve stage and channel switching. Effects loop added.
foot switch jack added
1989 JCM 800 2204 modified with effects loop
1960A 4X12
1960B 4X12
Haze 40 Combo

Guitars
2010 Les Paul Traditional Pro Gold Top
1987 Ibanez JEM 777 DY
1981 Ibanez Destroyer
Mid 1970's Vantage
1997 Taylor 410 acoustic
Early 70's Sanchez Brazilian classical guitar
Ibanez Soundgear Bass guitar

rjohns1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 8 times

Postby rjohns1 » 05 Sep 2011, 08:52

surfnorthwest wrote:Have to wonder (being Guitar Center) if those workshops are more about pimping gear and software then actually teaching someone the tricks to get a great recording. When I look at the topics they will cover I smell a marketing push disguised in a clinic.

Surf, I attended one of those sessions you mentioned. Having over 10 years of experience in recording, It was no surpride that I didn't get much out of it. But to be fair, it was actually a good seminar for the beginner. They didn't hawk any gear, just explained the program and the tools and terminology in an easy to understand format. The person that did the seminar was the store manager, who also owns a local recording studio.

And I agree completely, recording is an artform that takes years to learn. You learn best by trial and error, and it does take a while, especially from learning to overcome the limitations of your room.

-- Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 am --

The sm57 is a good start, but I like the Audix I5 better. Same price, and personally I think it has a better sound to it.
2010 Egnater Tourmaster 4212, with 212 Extension cab
2009 Mod Amp 101 60 watt EL34 Single Channel (Kit Amp, built and tweaked by yours truly)
2003 EBMM Axis (Trans Amber, PV Wolfgang Pickups)
2007 EBMM Axis (Tobacco Sunburst, Stock)
Mid 80's JapStrat
Eventide Factor Pedals (Mod, Time, and Pitch)
Hot Rodded Crybaby
Peterson Strobostomp
Fulltone Catalyst and OCD
Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
Blackstart HT-Dual
Dynomite Phase9000 (BYOC kit)

TheLesPaul101
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby TheLesPaul101 » 05 Sep 2011, 14:38

SM57 will do fine for most people's needs. Logic is a really good software along with Cubase. Those are my top software choices.
Guitars: Fender CS Stratocaster, Guild GAD C-1, Morelli "Flaxwood Custom"
Amps: Fender Blues JR., Roland Cube 30x
Effects: Maxon OD808--> Maxon OD820-->BBE Sonic Stomp-->Boss DD-20 Giga Delay w/ Boss FS-5U-->Strymon Flint

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Sep 2011, 15:29

rjohns1 wrote: Surf, I attended one of those sessions you mentioned. Having over 10 years of experience in recording, It was no surpride that I didn't get much out of it. But to be fair, it was actually a good seminar for the beginner. They didn't hawk any gear, just explained the program and the tools and terminology in an easy to understand format. The person that did the seminar was the store manager, who also owns a local recording studio.

And I agree completely, recording is an artform that takes years to learn. You learn best by trial and error, and it does take a while, especially from learning to overcome the limitations of your room.

-- Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 am --

The sm57 is a good start, but I like the Audix I5 better. Same price, and personally I think it has a better sound to it.

Good to know. I have been recording since 2002 pretty heavy and have gone through a shit load of gear. I could write a book but one mic I found that works best for me (better then anything I have tried) is the MXL R133 Ribbon mic, sound great, not as touchy as a SM57, can handle high SLPs and has a nice price.
http://www.mxlmics.com/products/Studio_ ... 4/R44.html

I also use the Radial JDX boxes and go direct with many of my amps and recordings. The little I loose by using them I can eq up in post production. I also think the interface is very key, I am currently very happy with my RME Fireface 800, nice piece of gear since I run keyboards, amps, mics, bass and more.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”