Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Kemper Profiling Rack

Postby surfnorthwest » 15 Feb 2013, 19:31

surlybastard wrote:Surf you should do some blind tests for the forum once you get it all figured out, that's the best way to see where the rubber meets the road.
Your browser needs Adobe Flash to play them.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 16 Feb 2013, 02:05

Strange, I'm browsing from my iphone and everything works.
(I don't think iphone can read flash files)

Anyway, very impressing. I have to give it another listen through
studio monitors because iphone plugs vary sound depending of me
holding my hands over the plugs.

I would think twice before using that Edge effect live in stereo.
Depending where people stand they would get different expiriance.
People in front to the left or right would think that playing is wrong.
Running this in mono wouldn't be the same.

There is a rule how good mix can be confirmed:
It should still sound good when converted to mono.

Is it possible to easy share model-patches for this type of gear?
:dunno

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 16 Feb 2013, 03:42

sikter wrote:Strange, I'm browsing from my iphone and everything works.
(I don't think iphone can read flash files)

Anyway, very impressing. I have to give it another listen through
studio monitors because iphone plugs vary sound depending of me
holding my hands over the plugs.

I would think twice before using that Edge effect live in stereo.
Depending where people stand they would get different expiriance.
People in front to the left or right would think that playing is wrong.
Running this in mono wouldn't be the same.

There is a rule how good mix can be confirmed:
It should still sound good when converted to mono.

Is it possible to easy share model-patches for this type of gear?

Yes models can be shared.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby noise5150 » 05 Mar 2013, 10:54

Really cool, I will listen to your sound samples at home where I have speakers. I recently got the Eleven Rack for direct recording and I think its outstanding. Ive also used it through a power amp and speaker cab and people I know who play have been very impressed. Im very curious about the AXE FX 2 and Kemper and would love to try both at home.

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Ex-Mesa » 05 Apr 2013, 21:49

I just got a Kemper too! What a blast! I got the lunchbox model (acknowledging I'm a baby-boomer couch player.) There are some VM profiles on the web. I'll load and campare them to the real amp. Big advantage is that most or all of the oumph is retained even at low playing volumes. And it cleans up. And I got a FCB1010 floor controller to switch stomps and patches and it has volume and wah pedals.
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Apr 2013, 06:20

Ex-Mesa wrote:I just got a Kemper too! What a blast! I got the lunchbox model (acknowledging I'm a baby-boomer couch player.) There are some VM profiles on the web. I'll load and campare them to the real amp. Big advantage is that most or all of the oumph is retained even at low playing volumes. And it cleans up. And I got a FCB1010 floor controller to switch stomps and patches and it has volume and wah pedals.
I downloaded a bunch of amp profiles from the Amp Factory, they are excellent! Also try running in into the FX return of one of your amps. Pretty darn good.

http://www.theampfactory.com/bundles/
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Ex-Mesa » 06 Apr 2013, 16:48

Tx. Will check that out. Best sound system so far has been a solid state power amp into low-fi 2-way Squier wedge monitors. Shredability increased 4X already!
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Apr 2013, 11:13

I have some nice mics, Royer ect. As you know with something like this it can easily be garbage in garbage out.

I started profiling yesterday, the 2466 Vintage Modern was the first amp I did, The profile chain to capture the amps sound is suppose to go like

Guitar>Kemper>Amp Input>cabinet mic(s)>Kemper

but I did it as....
Guitar>Kemper>Amp Input>Radial JDX>Kemper

Fuck the mics, to many variable. I used instead the Radial JDX box which sits between the head and the cabinet so you have a load but then gives you a cabinet simulated XLR output.... Shazam.... Excellent amp capture with no concern for room, acoustics, phase issues, or mic placement. Worked great and took less then 10 minutes to profile the amp.

Here is a quick demo I did. In the video I cover a lot of things about it, don't want to write a book here. I demo'd it at a "bedroom level" through a Slave amp. Obviously sounds huge when cranked. The sound in the video is that if the profiled 2466.

[youtube][/youtube]

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Apr 2013, 11:33

If this thing contunues to capture my personal amps as good as it has so far then I need to make avroad trp to Germany to visit Sigi.

The idea would be to bring my gear and profile the amps of the Marshall Museum. Sigi has the best Marshalls already but I could take a profile of each and package the files as the "Marshall Museum Collection" thus forever preserving to sound of those amps.

I bet the collection would have value...turn Sigi into a rich man so he can buy more Marshalls.

So far I have profiled
VM 2466
TSL100
6100LE

Still have to capture the DNA of the
YJM
JDM
JVM JS
JTM1
JMP1
JCM1

This collection of files will be called the Surf collection.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 08 Apr 2013, 12:43

I have to admit that I'm impressed how it responds to guitar volume.
Didn't expect that. Nice job! I couldn't imagine my life with volume on max all the time.
:dunno

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Ex-Mesa » 08 Apr 2013, 17:26

Wicked! I'll watch for your collection on the Kemper Exchange site.

That demonstration, about a minute from the end, when you roll back the guitar's volume is mind blowing! And there's also the sub-menu that can change the virtual bias, clarity, definition etc, on the amp, and some other cool parameters on the cab. And even change cabs with others on the Exchange site. Sorcery I tell you! Sorcery!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Apr 2013, 19:27

Eventually I will have the Surf collection, this will be all my Marshalls. The profiles will be dray with no effects and they will be named so it is obvious what amp=channel-mode was profiled. However the thing to remember with mine is cabinet modeling has to be done because mine are being made with the intention of using them through a amp and cabinet. Using them to record will require a cabinet be assigned to it.

I just purchased this for my cabinets

http://www.redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Ex-Mesa » 08 Apr 2013, 19:40

Yeah, I understand. That's brilliant. Judging by your clip, and a hunch, the Radial may be the way to get the truest amp profile! And there are plenty of pro studio cabs out there already (with ton of bricks whallop)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Apr 2013, 20:28

Yep, to many errors made with people using mic's. The JDX doesn't lie. The Profiles I sucked out of the TSL were awesome. As were the 6100LE. Still more to do. The cabinet models are for recording only, live performance assuming you are going into a tube power amp the profiles are excellent.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

snark
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby snark » 08 Apr 2013, 21:29

Surf,

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these. Can you advise what profiles shipped with the system. Also, I'm wondering if you would entertain a "sharing" section on this site for those of us that have the unit... Thanks in advance for the response...

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”