Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Portable Recorders

Postby Cousin Muely » 03 Oct 2013, 09:27

Anybody here use these or have any experience with them. At the moment the Zoom H6 & Roland R-26 has my interest. I look at these as a low cost solution for being able to make a decent recording for posting some sound clips here. Anything would be a step up from the cell phone jam to Surf's track I posted the other day. What I like about these and some similar devices is the XLR ins for Direct Sound with the ability to mix in the sound of the room I play in with the ambient mics which has a nice natural reverb. I already have a Mixing Desk with Radial JDXs sending a mic signal to it from my amps. Backing tracks are fed to mixer also and all that comes out of the PA. I figure by recording the "Live" music with the ambient mics along with a direct feed from the mixer then that should give me something to play with and be able to post something decent. What I am describing is exactly what these are advertized to do.

What do you guys think? Anybody used one or maybe partial to one?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Portable Recorders

Postby surfnorthwest » 03 Oct 2013, 13:55

Just buy one of each from Sweetwater and before 14 dayssend one or both back for a refund. Kinda try before you buy.

I think Zoom has a reputation of good stuff for the money.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Atomic Angel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 237 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Atomic Angel » 05 Oct 2013, 10:42

I'm buying the zoom H6 , I like the ability to used multiple mics plus extra mic that can be plugged in,

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 05 Oct 2013, 11:58

Yeah, the H6 is the one i am leaning towards pretty heavy. I will be buying from Sweetwater. That's cool Atomic that you'll be gettng one and we can maybe compare notes. I have some nice Home Performing Equipment but my ability to record is practically nil. I think i will like this piece of gear. Sounds like it will mate up to what i already have and what i want out of it pretty well for the money with the ability to expand on it some. I'd rather start out with something simple like this. Some of you guy's studios you have; if you turned me loose in them i'd be lost in how to operate the basics for a while.

P A U L
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 989 times
Been liked: 753 times

Postby P A U L » 05 Oct 2013, 16:15

I have the H2n.

Works great for recording clean sounds.

Here's a sample:

http://www.pbprophoto.net/ZOOMH2nsample.mp3

The thing that seems to work well is the M/S recording. The sample is using the internal mic's in M/S Raw mode. (which lets you control the stereo effect) I recorded Roger on The Wall tour @ the LA Colliseum, it came out great, the low rumbles he has going during the show, give it that Star Wars production. Pretty badass.

That said, if you are going to be recording into the computer & post online, etc., you might be better off getting a dedicated interface & a couple mic's.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 05 Oct 2013, 17:10

P A U L wrote:I have the H2n.

Works great for recording clean sounds.

Here's a sample:

http://www.pbprophoto.net/ZOOMH2nsample.mp3

The thing that seems to work well is the M/S recording. The sample is using the internal mic's in M/S Raw mode. (which lets you control the stereo effect) I recorded Roger on The Wall tour @ the LA Colliseum, it came out great, the low rumbles he has going during the show, give it that Star Wars production. Pretty badass.

That said, if you are going to be recording into the computer & post online, etc., you might be better off getting a dedicated interface & a couple mic's.
One of the H6's features is being an Audio Interface. It's essentially a 4 track recorder. I'll just be recording myself with backing. Yeah, i will add better ambient mics as i go. I have Radial JDXs that do a great job as DIs for the straight signal off the mixer. I'm sure these have there limitations but even these little cheap boxes are worlds ahead over what i have. A Boss BR600 or my Cell. :laugh If i can just record to this and then transfer to my laptop and work from there i'll be happy with it.

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”