Atomic Angel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 237 times
Been liked: 177 times

Re: recording mics & techniques

Postby Atomic Angel » 11 Mar 2014, 17:48

sikter wrote:
Atomic Angel wrote:I just came across a great vocal mic, that can be used both in the studio and live. It kills live. My singer has been looking, using the different shures, and sennheisers, EV and others, both wired and wireless.
I came across an Audio Technica AE 5400 for a real good price. It did a fine job in the studio and liked it better than the MXL 990. It's very comparable to the AT 4040 with just a bit smoother top end.

Live it killed every other mic there. I liked the warmth of it over the Shure sm 86, it's a hotter mic, but doesn't produced much feedback for some reason. Absolutely stellar low end for male vocals, and very pristine top end with excellent clarity. Out singer liked it so much he asked me to pick up a couple more for our live shows.

This mic would be a good investment to anyone on a budget that need both a very good studio mic that is great live also.

This never happened unless you decide to upload some takes :bosnia
okay I'll get something down tonight. probably just acoustic guitar and vocal, all done with the AE5400.. the capsule in the AE5400 is the same as the AT4050 studio mic.

Atomic Angel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 237 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Atomic Angel » 11 Mar 2014, 20:41

https://soundcloud.com/nosirrah-yrag/at-ae5400-quick-recording-flatOk I recorded a quick fug off piece. drums.. ezdrummer loop. guitar = Telecaster>boss me30>voxac15twin10>Audio Technica AE5400.. Vocals AE5400 into a focusrite preamp, I didn't have any compression on at this point, some of the levels got a little hot, I was holding the mic in my hand, and backed off a bit to far, vox got a little thin at times.

I made the words up on the fly.. that's why I'm mumbling through part of it lol.

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 12 Mar 2014, 04:57

Atomic Angel wrote:https://soundcloud.com/nosirrah-yrag/at-ae5400-quick-recording-flatOk I recorded a quick fug off piece. drums.. ezdrummer loop. guitar = Telecaster>boss me30>voxac15twin10>Audio Technica AE5400.. Vocals AE5400 into a focusrite preamp, I didn't have any compression on at this point, some of the levels got a little hot, I was holding the mic in my hand, and backed off a bit to far, vox got a little thin at times.

I made the words up on the fly.. that's why I'm mumbling through part of it lol.
nice, must be a god microphone
funny tune too
keep them coming
:dunno

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”