Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Mesa/Boogie CabClone

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Apr 2015, 17:53

Not sure this would be a better option than the Radial Engineering JDX box. Interesting none the less.

Passive speaker-load boxes let you run your amp into a PA or recording input without miking a cabinet. They’re a great way to capture analog amp sounds without hassle—or broken eardrums.

Mesa Boogie’s new CabClone is a particularly nice load box/compensated D.I. at an equally nice price. It’s solidly built in a tabletop format. You can use it with or without a speaker connected to your amp. A wide-ranging level control provides appropriate output for most recording and PA gear. There are phase and ground-lift toggles, and both XLR and 1/4" output jacks. A specialized EQ stage with three voicing options mimics closed-back, open-back, and vintage-style cabinets. There’s also a headphone out for silent practicing or monitoring.

As with many products in this category, CabClone’s cabinet simulations are more like paintings than hi-res photos. They don’t convey the idiosyncratic resonant peaks and phase-cancelled dips of various miked speakers the way that, say, a good set of speaker impulse responses can. But CabClone’s solid, full-frequency tones work well in many contexts, and they respond well to downstream EQ.

CabClone requires no external power. It comes in 4-, 8-, and 16-ohm models, so be sure to get the one that matches your amp’s speaker-out specs.

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Re: Mesa/Boogie CabClone

Postby Alpeggio » 29 Apr 2015, 01:52

Though its a good price and has good features it sounds no better than Anyother d i I've used. I think your JDX souned more natural on the top end than this. D i boxes always squash the top end and are at their worst when gain is used.
Al
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 29 Apr 2015, 02:57

Interesting,
I think it's always smart to connect something like this even while micing the cab for recording.
You get two tracks of very same performance so it gives you more options to get the right tone.
:dunno

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 01 May 2015, 12:48

Joe Bonamassa uses a device like that (Palmer PDI-03) together with micing the cabs to get more control over the sound going through the PA because these are not relying on the venue acoustic properties...

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”