Moderator: longfxukxnhair

HydroPnik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Removing distortion from recording

Postby HydroPnik » 12 Jan 2009, 06:53

My band had a gig on Saturday night and I borrowed a friends M-audio Microtrack 2496 and recorded two sets. Much to my dismay I found that the input volumes were dimed so whenever the band is playing the sound is very distorted although it is not clipping. My question is if there's a way to clean it up enough get a decent sound or am I sol? I have a Mac and PC so suggestions don't need to be platform specific but I also want to do it as cheaply as possible.

Thanks - Hydro
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall 1960TV

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Removing distortion from recording

Postby TonyC » 12 Jan 2009, 10:08

HydroPnik wrote:My band had a gig on Saturday night and I borrowed a friends M-audio Microtrack 2496 and recorded two sets. Much to my dismay I found that the input volumes were dimed so whenever the band is playing the sound is very distorted although it is not clipping. My question is if there's a way to clean it up enough get a decent sound or am I sol? I have a Mac and PC so suggestions don't need to be platform specific but I also want to do it as cheaply as possible.

Thanks - Hydro
Removing distortion is not an easy thing. On of the best tool to use is iZotope RX

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

It's extremely good at removing digital clipping, but if the signal was distorted by an analogue source before recording (mic preamps etc) it will be much harder.

HydroPnik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby HydroPnik » 12 Jan 2009, 21:10

Cool - thanks, Tony. I'm hoping it was digital clipping and not the condensor mic clipping. I'll check with a good friend who has a studio to see if he has iZotope RX. We were on so hopefully I can clean it up.

Cheers!
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall 1960TV

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”